Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is there a universal moral rule?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do any of the moral rules apply everywhere and at all times?

You know, things like "Thou shall not kill", stealing is wrong and so on...

Here's what I think.

Yes. There must be moral rules that apply to everyone and at all times.

Comments

• Options
    Which rules(or rule ?) do you think apply ?
  • Options
    At all times?

If someone is trying to kill my family am I wrong to kill them to protect others?

If I'm starving to death is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread?
  • Options
    Which rules(or rule ?) do you think apply ?

I am not entirely sure. the thing is, if there isn't a universal rule, then you can do whatever you want, but of course that would be a universal moral rule.
    If someone is trying to kill my family am I wrong to kill them to protect others?

If I'm starving to death is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread

Are they "good" things, or understandable bad ones?
  • Options
    In relaity, simply answer is no.

there is no universal maorality in this world. Anyone who can prove it, I will conceed but I don't think you can.
  • Options
    In relaity, simply answer is no.

Except that's a universal moral rule. :rolleyes:

Another thought I have had is that when asked people always come up with immoral things that are done in the face of greater immorality as a backup for a "no" answer.

As if picking the least immoral option makes that choice moral. :chin:
  • Options
    i think there used to be a moral code in th 40s and 50s.there doesnt seem to be one now imo. most people know right from wrong but choose to ignore things so to suit them.so i dont think universal morality would work for that reason,but i agree there should be.
  • Options
    I think there is a universal morality. Some things are always wrong.
  • Options
    i think there used to be a moral code in th 40s and 50s.there doesnt seem to be one now imo. most people know right from wrong but choose to ignore things so to suit them.so i dont think universal morality would work for that reason,but i agree there should be.

Well, it might still be there even though everyone ignores it. We all know we have done things that we know to be wrong because we have placed a higher value on something else at the time.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Well, it might still be there even though everyone ignores it. We all know we have done things that we know to be wrong because we have placed a higher value on something else at the time.
    wheres the benchmark of morality? peoples perceptions of morality vary,so where is the standard? is having sex with animals imoral for example? would killing a rapist be "moraly" right?
  • Options
    wheres the benchmark of morality? peoples perceptions of morality vary,so where is the standard? is having sex with animals imoral for example? would killing a rapist be "moraly" right?

Good question. I don't think anyone thinks non consensual sex is moral, and animals can't consent. Well, maybe Skippy and Flipper can but generally it doesn't happen. "Twitch ear" "What's that Skippy? You want it long and hard?"

If people's perceptions of morality vary, we can compare it to people's differing view of an object. The object is there but looked at from alternate angles.

Killing a rapist would be morally wrong, it wouldn't be a good thing, but we could understand why someone would do it and we would subsequently forgive or even approve of their actions.
  • Options
    universal means everyone, every country, every nation, rleigion, person.

You can never truelly have a universal morality as what is immoral to one is fine to another and so on.

I mean 99% of the world wouldl say raping a baby is wrong and immoral, but there are people out there who rape babies who would obviously say/belive its not wrong etc.
  • Options
    universal means everyone, every country, every nation, rleigion, person.

Of that list, only one exists.
    You can never truelly have a universal morality as what is immoral to one is fine to another and so on.

But that's a universal moral pronouncement! How can you not have a universal moral law and have that apply to everyone?
    I mean 99% of the world wouldl say raping a baby is wrong and immoral, but there are people out there who rape babies who would obviously say/belive its not wrong etc.

Would they believe it was a "right" thing to do , or would they have justifications for it? Like the lies of african witchcraft etc.
  • Options
    who knows.

Some would justify it, some would say its right. Not a baby raper myself so can't say what they think.

lol, its just a statement of fact that you can't have a universal moral code or whatever coz not everyone would believe in the same moral., its not a universal morale in itself, is it???

ok, I know you don't belive in countries and such but for the sake of argument, I just meant everyone.
  • Options
    If you look a feral children then they dont have the concept of right and wrong that we do - if at all. Therefore we could hypothesise that morality is a structure of society, and since there are lots of different societys / social groups - and since different rules apply to each, i dont think there is a universal human morality.
  • Options
    lol, its just a statement of fact that you can't have a universal moral code or whatever coz not everyone would believe in the same moral., its not a universal morale in itself, is it???

It's only a "statement of fact" if you equate "statements of fact" with your personal belief. To say that there is no moral code that applis to everyone is in itself a moral argument.
    If you look a feral children then they dont have the concept of right and wrong that we do - if at all. Therefore we could hypothesise that morality is a structure of society, and since there are lots of different societys / social groups - and since different rules apply to each, i dont think there is a universal human morality

Good point. But! If one of those feral children is holding onto something (i.e. they own it) and you try to take it from them, you will soon hear about it.
  • Options
    ok, well its not an exact fact as in something tangible but its a statement from myself on the subject of universal morality.

Its a arguement about morality and maybe even a morale argument but does that mean it is a universal morale as in th same contect of everyone beliving the same right & wrong?
  • Options
    Thou shalt no murder is a universal rule, but though shalt not kill isnt, because there are many scenarios of killing, self defence and war for instance.
  • Options
    ok, well its not an exact fact as in something tangible but its a statement from myself on the subject of universal morality.

Universal morality is a blue drunk up a gum tree is a statement from myself about universal morality.
    Its a arguement about morality and maybe even a morale argument but does that mean it is a universal morale as in th same contect of everyone beliving the same right & wrong?

Well, belief doesn't change anything in material reality, although it does change the way humans interact with that material reality. Fundamentalist religious types change their behaviour in relation to the real world based on their beliefs. Their beliefs are still utter utter rubbish and not born out by that material reality.

My assumption of course is that material reality usurps or is better than belief.

Everyone used to believe that the world was flat. They were ALL wrong. how did they find this out? by refernce to the real world.
  • Options
    Thou shalt no murder is a universal rule, but though shalt not kill isnt, because there are many scenarios of killing, self defence and war for instance.

But your acceptance of murder becoming accpetable in, for example, war, relies on your ability or agreement with the idea that one person can make the moral rules for everyone else and in particular yourself*. It also depends on things like countries, which of course do not exist.

Is it a reasonable hypothesis to say that you can get people to do things they otherwise wouldn't (due to some undefined moral law they all share) IF you can convince them of certain fictions?

After all, if it was a universal rule that killing other people was fine, then you wouldn't need to brainwash them with ideas of religion, countries, states etc.

*Theres a BIG problem with this, because if one person is in charge of applying a universal moral standard, then that standard must also apply to themselves. If there is no universal moral standard, that person has no business applying a universal standard on everyone else. Theres also the problem of that universal moral standard not actually being universal or it wouldn't need men with guns to force it on others.
  • Options
    does morailty actualy exist at all?..is it just a lazy way of describing something that is unacceptable or something that we dont really understand?
  • Options
    ok.

I just don't think everyone ever did or ever will agree completely on whats right or wrong.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    does morailty actualy exist at all?..is it just a lazy way of describing something that is unacceptable or something that we dont really understand?

To say that morality does not exist is a moral standpoint.

To say we really don't understand it is also a moral standpoint.
    I just don't think everyone ever did or ever will agree completely on whats right or wrong.

Your reason for saying that must be to do with the morality and not the universlity, care to elaborate?
  • Options
    great thread klintock :thumb:

Why thank ya! :yippe:
    There is nothing mysterious or 'subjective' or culture-bound in the great evils of human experience, re-affirmed in every age and in every written history and in every tragedy and fiction: murder and the destruction of life, imprisonment, enslavement, starvation, poverty, physical pain and torture, homelessness, friendlessness. That these great evils are to be averted is the constant presupposition of moral arguments at all times and in all places.

Good quote. And it brings me to an interesting point that any universal morality must take place in the universe. This isn't as kooky as it sounds, because it implies the physical plane. So many moral debates centre around the weird non-physical interpretations of concepts that have no relation to reality.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    well there are some people who are realists about morality, meaning that they believe morals actually exist out there, somewhere outside of human control, so that if the entire population of the world were wiped out tomorrow and no life existed, those moral rules would still exist

So they would think of morality as independent of humans, like it was a rule you could empirically verify like gravity or the speed of light. Interesting viewpoint.
    i'm definitely not a subscriber to this line of thinking; morals are created by human beings to guide our actions and relations with each other because we so often seem to get it wrong.

SO questions arise of how we come up with them if they don't already exist, like a car already exists in it's parts, we just reform the material world until that car which has been sleeping in a mountain or whatever is made into it's useful form by our efforts.

Not many of us have an accurate map of material reality either, so that might account for our inability to not easily find a moral universal and to think we are acting morally when we really are not. If you were to ask me, there are no kings, there are no prime ministers, just men who have convinced others they are somehow special using fraud, but that's because I always look to the material world for evidence of what people are talking about.
    we can nearly all agree that cruelty is the worst thing we do; and yet, continually and all around the globe, we perpetrate acts of cruelty to each other. so i think the only universal moral principle will be something to do with avoiding this cruelty, and will be based upon a belief in the equal moral worth of all persons. (but then this is a culture-bound assertion to make - i am sure there are plenty of groups and cultures who don't believe all humans are of equal moral worth, which kind of suggests my principle isn't universal. i've never been able to make my mind up on this subject, and it seems i'm no closer!)

Yes, but of course those groups don't actually exist. The problem there is not with the morlaity, but with the false thought that the real world has groups in it as opposed to only our own minds.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Probably. The only one I go by is "do no harm to innocent people". Since my definition of innocence is pretty wide though, some people may disagree. Beyond that, morals only interest me in an abstract fashion. I did Philosophy for 3 years, all I got were a few shiny certificates and the ability to ask irritating questions.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    i can think of hypothetical cases where it might be morally required to harm innocent people, if it will prevent greater harm being done to a larger number of innocent people.

Probably. Like I said, my definition of "innocence" is pretty broad though. Lots of people are guilty as sin, including myself.