Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

big brother..

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    The law's a arse so whilst it may apply to me, I think I'm perfectly in my right to 'whinge' when I get caught for breaking it.
    fair deal
  • Options
    rickramone wrote:
    Speed cameras are just cash generators and speed has been demonised to fulfil a PC-driven agenda.

SPEED KILLS = Politically Correct Mantra, (that tells only a very small part of the real truth)

We've all been brain-washed by this simplistic approach which also just happens to generate a lot of money - any connection I wonder?

Its interesting to note that "speeding" is well down the list of causes for accidents, but its also worth noting that 70% of the accidents caused by speeding are cases involving speeds LESS than the speed limit applicable to the road!

One is almost tempted to say SLOW DRIVING CAUSES ACCIDENTS! But I won't.

It is reckoned, after analysis, that only around 1.00% of all road accidents are caused by drivers EXCEEDING the speed limit. This puts it on a par with habitual nose-pickers and women putting their make-up on whilst driving - the latter I saw on the M4 last week!!! Incredible!!

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/pr110.html

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

Some people, as unbiased as those on the link above, would beg to differ,

http://www.slower-speeds.org.uk/sk1.htm#stats2
  • Options
    Aladdin interesting that your link compared road deaths to war. Even during the worst bits of the 'troubles' (which was the mosty intensive combat the UK had been in since Korea) the army lost more men in car accidents than murdered by the IRA.

I've no probs with speed cameras in accident blackspots or through residential areas. I'm not sure whether lower speed reduces the number of accidents - I think there's some evidence it doesn't. It does however dramatically reduce the numbers of people killed in accidents.
  • Options
    no one will despute the original purpose of speed cameras,my point is just very simple and uncomplicated (as per).......no one seems to have addressed the other point...."big brother",with every reg number there is a house that belongs to it...and so on.
  • Options
    I have a problem when the element of human discretion is removed. Also, when many people have been incorrectly fined due to faulty cameras.

Gatsos aren't really that much bother to me. Its the handheld sites that tend to be as barely marked as possible.