Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reading

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone

I like to read quite alot, especially in the summer when I have more time to. I just wondered if everyone has a couple of fav books they'd like to share or reccomend.

I havent read a great deal but two of my favourites were
The Da Vinci code- Dan Brown
Way of the peaceful warrior- Dan Millman

Steve

Comments

• Options
    This topic has been done loads...hop on into the entertainment board and you will find loads of answers to this :D
  • Options
    And on another note, Da Vinci Code sucks and unless the film is drastically different to the book and involves massive gun fights and space ships it's going to suck as well.

You know what else sucks even more than the tiring and monotonous plot of The Da Vinci Code? The way that after people have read it they think they have all the answers to the universe.

"OMG, God don't exist, wtf, the da vinci code said so!!1!"
    "But the Bible says God does exist!"
    "Pff yeah but like wTf, the Bible is just a book wots made up innit!"
    *awkward silence*
    "Okay, I'm going now. Your intellect is far too developed for me".
  • Options
    Brave Dave wrote:
    And on another note, Da Vinci Code sucks and unless the film is drastically different to the book and involves massive gun fights and space ships it's going to suck as well.

You know what else sucks even more than the tiring and monotonous plot of The Da Vinci Code? The way that after people have read it they think they have all the answers to the universe.

*awkward silence*
    I hate it when people ead one book and believe everything it says without criticism. Dan Brown meant his book as fiction, he knows it's made up as he made it up. It's a shame so many gulliable people don't realise this.
  • Options
    Brave Dave wrote:

*awkward silence*

Hahaha, nice one. :thumb:

Dan Brown is the sole reason I am now convinced that I too can one day become a published writer.

I'm not sure why the red mist descends every time I think about The Da Vinci Code (God knows I've read any number of equally shitty, badly-written books) but I think it's because the other crap books didn't become bestsellers overnight. I also don't think people started hailing these other crap books as THE TRUTH and they didn't turn my normally intelligent friends into credulous eejits.

As for book recommendations, off the top of my head: The Idiot and The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, Accordion Crimes by Annie Proulx, The Handmaid's Tale and Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood, The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck.

I took that one out from the school library about 4 years ago...started reading it, forgot about it...they gave up asking for it back after a year or so! :lol:
  • Options
    I liked The Da Vinci Code. To me it makes more sense than the Bible but it doesn't mean I believe it all. Just a good book, imo.

Suggestions...

Atm I'm reading the second part of the Sabriel, Lirael and Aborsen series by Garth Nix. T'is good but I've been reading it for a few months and still havent got around to finishing it :(

James Herbert - Once... and Nobody True
    Peter James - Alchemist
    Andrey Kurkov - Death and The Penguin
  • Options
    I'm currently reading The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde. In my to read stack are:

Making Love by Marius Brill
    Espedair Street by Iain Banks
    You don't have to be evil to work here, but it helps by Tom Holt
    Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Raz wrote:
    I'm currently reading The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde. In my to read stack are:

Making Love by Marius Brill
    Espedair Street by Iain Banks
    You don't have to be evil to work here, but it helps by Tom Holt
    Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde

You enjoying the Thursday Next series? I really liked them and they are not my sort of book at all.

Currently reading Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. Today at school I read "Journey to Jo'burg" by Beverley Naidoo. Really enjoyed it and the kids are liking it too.
  • Options
    You enjoying the Thursday Next series? I really liked them and they are not my sort of book at all.

Yeah, I am. The second was a bit weird, it just seems to be a book of exposition for the sequels. It didn't seem to really build to anything, it just set up the sequels. But I like Fforde's style.

Any series that has Ms Havisham fire a hand gun at the Red Queen gets my vote :D
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    I liked The Da Vinci Code. To me it makes more sense than the Bible but it doesn't mean I believe it all. Just a good book, imo.
    Religious/philisophical beliefs aside, the Davinci Code plot is so utterly repetitive I cannot see how it can be enjoyable.

Anyone who hasn't read it yet, here's the entire plot compressed for your convinience:

Some people find a cryptic clue. THEY'RE STUCK! Suddenly one of them remembers that they did an intense 3 year course on the exact subject they need to know about to break the clue. They break the clue. It leads them somewhere else and they find a cryptic clue. THEY'RE STUCK! Suddenly one of them remembers that they did an intense 3 year course on the exact subject they need to know about to break the clue. They break the clue. It leads them somewhere else and they find a cryptic clue. THEY'RE STUCK! Suddenly one of them remembers that they did an intense 3 year course on the exact subject they need to know about to break the clue. They break the clue. It leads them somewhere else and they find a cryptic clue. THEY'RE STUCK! Suddenly one of them remembers that they did an intense 3 year course on the exact subject they need to know about to break the clue. They break the clue. It leads them somewhere else and they find a cryptic clue. Jesus had a wife. Therefore God isn't real. Therefore the universe came from nowhere. The end.

*is blown away by the incredible imagination of Dan Brown*
  • Options
    If we're blasting bad books then I beg everyone never to read any Michael Crichton. Jurassic Park is a shocking affront to literature.
  • Options
    Brave Dave wrote:
    Religious/philisophical beliefs aside, the Davinci Code plot is so utterly repetitive I cannot see how it can be enjoyable.

Anyone who hasn't read it yet, here's the entire plot compressed for your convinience:

Some people find a cryptic clue. THEY'RE STUCK! Suddenly one of them remembers that they did an intense 3 year course on the exact subject they need to know about to break the clue. They break the clue. It leads them somewhere else and they find a cryptic clue. THEY'RE STUCK! Suddenly one of them remembers that they did an intense 3 year course on the exact subject they need to know about to break the clue. They break the clue. It leads them somewhere else and they find a cryptic clue. THEY'RE STUCK! Suddenly one of them remembers that they did an intense 3 year course on the exact subject they need to know about to break the clue. They break the clue. It leads them somewhere else and they find a cryptic clue. THEY'RE STUCK! Suddenly one of them remembers that they did an intense 3 year course on the exact subject they need to know about to break the clue. They break the clue. It leads them somewhere else and they find a cryptic clue. Jesus had a wife. Therefore God isn't real. Therefore the universe came from nowhere. The end.

*is blown away by the incredible imagination of Dan Brown*

:lol:
    Fair point but I still liked it >_<
  • Options
    reading a book and believing it is the be all and end all, like in the case of many people and the da vinci code, is like watching desperate housewives and thinking women are bitchy just for fun
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    is like watching desperate housewives and thinking women are bitchy just for fun
    :eek: You mean there's method to their madness??
  • Options
    Brave Dave wrote:
    :eek: You mean there's method to their madness??

oh yes indeed there is
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    :lol:
    Fair point but I still liked it >_<
    Same here. What I liked was the "one clue leads to another" story, and the fact that it managed to trick me.
    I'll explain (WARNING: spoilers following): Whenever I read a book, or watch a movie, or whatever, in which there's a bad guy but we don't know who it is, I suspect everyone and everything. This is the first story in a long time that managed to fool me: It didn't even cross my mind that Teabing could be him.

As for my favourite books, I listed them in the other thread recently, but here goes again:
    • Uncle Petros and Goldbach's conjecture
    • Sophie's world
    • The Mothman prophecies
  • Options
    I need to attempt Sophie's World again.
    Tried to read it when I was 15 and my brain nearly imploded. Think I got half way through. Can't remember who I lent my copy to though...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    I need to attempt Sophie's World again.
    Tried to read it when I was 15 and my brain nearly imploded. Think I got half way through. Can't remember who I lent my copy to though...
    I read it at 16, had just watched the movie. It got me interested in philosophy, and I was going to pursue that interest... though I haven't so far, due to stuff.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    I read it at 16, had just watched the movie. It got me interested in philosophy, and I was going to pursue that interest... though I haven't so far, due to stuff.

I didn't know there was a movie.
    I tried to read the book while I was doing philosophy at school. I was interested but I just couldn't get my head around it.
  • Options
    I took that one out from the school library about 4 years ago...started reading it, forgot about it...they gave up asking for it back after a year or so! :lol:

If you still have it then I honestly urge you to give it another try, it's very wordy and I struggled to get into it (especially because of the dialect) but it's worth it. If you have an interest in literature, history, politics, the world around you then I can't imagine not being moved by The Grapes of Wrath. It had a huge impact on me, anyway.

His novel East of Eden is comparatively underrated and is definitely overshadowed by TGoW, but I'd highly recommend it. It's essentially an allegory of Cain and Abel's story from the Bible, I definitely found it much easier to get into.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    If you still have it then I honestly urge you to give it another try, it's very wordy and I struggled to get into it (especially because of the dialect) but it's worth it. If you have an interest in literature, history, politics, the world around you then I can't imagine not being moved by The Grapes of Wrath. It had a huge impact on me, anyway.

I will :thumb: I read Of Mice and Men at school and I loved that. In fact I took it home and read it twice while they were reading it in the class :D
  • Options
    I can agree with your comments that the book was very hyped up and shouldn't of got the publicity it should have, but isn't that the case with most things?

I just found it a good read, thats all
  • Options
    I will :thumb: I read Of Mice and Men at school and I loved that. In fact I took it home and read it twice while they were reading it in the class :D

Glad to hear it. :D

I love Of Mice and Men, too, though it's often an unpopular one specifically because it was required school reading for so many people. One thing schools are great at is putting people off reading...
  • Options
    Im talking about brave daves post about the da vinci code in my last reply
  • Options
    mrbox99 wrote:
    Im talking about brave daves post about the da vinci code in my last reply

I take your point, most definitely. It's good that people are interested in reading, full stop. It's just frustrating that he gets all that acclaim.

Especially since there are so many glaring inaccuracies in the book; he couldn't even get the date of the Dead Sea Scrolls' discovery right. There is no excuse for such lazy researching, especially since I suspect he has a crack team of minions behind the scenes.
  • Options
    mrbox99 wrote:
    I can agree with your comments that the book was very hyped up and shouldn't of got the publicity it should have, but isn't that the case with most things?

I just found it a good read, thats all
    No, that's cool, I'm not having a go.

I'm just saying that for all the praise it gets it really SUCKED. I read it on a coach whilst travelling from Toronto to New York and no less than three other people on the coach were reading it as well (their own copies, not looking over my shoulder or anything). I wanted to strike up a conversation with them about how repetitive the plot seemed to be but we got to the US border and had to go through 2 hours of rigerous customs checks in case we were carrying warheads or nail clippers and after that I just wanted to strangle the old guy sat behind me as he had the most horrible snoring you've ever heard and in my silent rage I forgot about the book.

True story.
  • Options
    Am currently re-reading the Rhapsody series by Elizabeth Haydon in preparation for reading her new one that has just come out :yes: oh yes, tis good :D
  • Options
    Brave Dave wrote:
    No, that's cool, I'm not having a go.

I'm just saying that for all the praise it gets it really SUCKED. I read it on a coach whilst travelling from Toronto to New York and no less than three other people on the coach were reading it as well (their own copies, not looking over my shoulder or anything). I wanted to strike up a conversation with them about how repetitive the plot seemed to be but we got to the US border and had to go through 2 hours of rigerous customs checks in case we were carrying warheads or nail clippers and after that I just wanted to strangle the old guy sat behind me as he had the most horrible snoring you've ever heard and in my silent rage I forgot about the book.

True story.

Cool

What author do you prefer to read then? Or what are you reading at the moment?
  • Options
    mrbox99 wrote:
    What author do you prefer to read then? Or what are you reading at the moment?
    Actually I read very little as I much prefer films. However, Eric Hill has a fantastic range of books out in which you experience the world from the eyes of an overly intelligent dog. The stories really stretch the reader's mind so that they question the physical reality in which they exist. I thoroughly recommend you check him out.