Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

big brother..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
the government seems to have decided that speed camera's do nothing for road safety...so they are going to use them to steal money from the motorist in a different way, by "doin" you for using a mobile phone or not wearing a seat belt etc.....propper! the reason for this is "road safety",yet again.......i'm sure owning a fuckin car will soon become a criminal offence!.........i think they'll also just be spying to watch our movements :naughty: ...possible though?? surely?

Comments

• Options
    but surely using a mobile phone is dangerous because it distracts your attention from the road, and wearing a seatbelt can save lives...
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    but surely using a mobile phone is dangerous because it distracts your attention from the road, and wearing a seatbelt can save lives...
    nothing wrong with what you say,and i would agree to a point.but speed camera's were allways a good way of "stealing" money from us,and wern't allways put in a place just for road safety's sake imo.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    nothing wrong with what you say,and i would agree to a point.but speed camera's were allways a good way of "stealing" money from us,and wern't allways put in a place just for road safety's sake imo.

Aye. Thats true.

But at least they are cutting down on speed cameras. If they target things like using a mobile whilst driving, or erratic and dangerous driving, I am happy like.

Speeding ain't so bad. You know what would REALLY Help though? More traffic officers - they are better. Fact. Proven. They can also exercise discretion, which is better, as circumstances often are a cause and are reasonable - a camera doesnt do that!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Aye. Thats true.

But at least they are cutting down on speed cameras. If they target things like using a mobile whilst driving, or erratic and dangerous driving, I am happy like.

Speeding ain't so bad. You know what would REALLY Help though? More traffic officers - they are better. Fact. Proven. They can also exercise discretion, which is better, as circumstances often are a cause and are reasonable - a camera doesnt do that!

Trust me, neither would 99% of traffic cops.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:

speed cameras aside, if you break the law, you break the law, im not going to go into arguments concerning if the law is correct or not, but if you break the law you have committed an offence

why the hell do people hate speed cameras so much? most likely because they catch you doing things you shouldnt be, you all hate them because they are an effective means to catch you speeding, to catch you using your mobile phone, you cant complain about a speed camera catching you do anything, if it has proven you have broken the law

its like a small kid saying its not fair that he got grassed up, well maybe it isnt fair, but if people didnt speed and didnt use their mobile phones while driving then they wouldnt have been caught

and before anyone says i dont know what its like, i dont care about how easy it is to make a mistake about speeding, tough shit if you accidently pick up your phone, you did it, its your mistake, you get caught, you get done

simple as

owning a car will never be a criminal offence, the only reason speed cameras are oney grabbing, and the only reason so many fines get generated is surprise surprise, people break the law
  • Options
    and yes i do have a habit and an enjoyment about ranting on this matter, speed kills, speeds cameras dont, they might cause people to sharply brake, but only for 2 reasons

1, they were going too fast in the first place
    2, they are careless drivers to randomly brake sharply when they dont need to
    2a, a combination of one and two
  • Options
    I really find it extraordinary that the very same people who claim to ''stand for law and order'' and see themselves as ''law abiding'' (i.e. the right wing tabloids) have the fucking cheek to moan about speed cameras and speak of "crusades against the motorist".

Anyone who has been caught by a speed camera was breaking the law. End of. Those who don't want the government/police to "steal" money from them are kindly advised to drive under the speed limit. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    A lot of people walking down the road talking on mobile phones stop at random intervals, almost bump into passers-by, and generally aren't paying much attention to what's around them.

People texting and walking at the same time are even worse, they stagger around and weave like they've had 8 pints - they must be twice as bad if they're trying to actually *drive* at the the same time so I'm all for banning people from using mobiles while driving, and if fining's the only way to stop them then so be it.

I've got nothing in particular against speed cameras either but I do get the impression some authorities see them as a revenue earner first and foremost and a help to road safety a distant second.
  • Options
    I am all in favour of speed cameras catching people and them getting fined for speeding well over the speed limit, or even just a bit over it, but when a speed camera catches you slipping one mile over the limit, as in a 40mph limit and you do 41mph but do not notice it when you glance down at your speedometer, thats just plain theivery against the motorist.

You know they should only put speed cameras up in places where 5 Fatal Accidents have occured, as in 5 peopl died so it is not a random accident it is a neccessary safety measure...yet, i remember a story where they put up a speed camera where person was killed in a car crash, on an ice road in winter when there car skidded out of control while been 20mph under the speed limit and the other 4 deaths were suicides as people jumped from the bridge above. I think it was somewhere in Surrey.
  • Options
    Why do so many people support the idea that a few hundred strangers hundreds of miles away can tell you how to drive their cars?

It's also astonishing how many people don't seem to believe in the basics of the rule of law. i.e. The police or a camera doesn't decide whether you have done anything wrong because you are innocent until you've had your day in court with your accuser.

Whatever.

This has nothing to do with road safety and everything to do with bringing in a surveillance state. Which is going to be just like a police state without the manpower.

It's also great because the only people who are exempt from it are criminals. Speed cameras don't do anything about stolen cars.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Why do so many people support the idea that a few hundred strangers hundreds of miles away can tell you how to drive their cars?

I don't drive a car, and I totally support the idea that a few hundred strangers miles away can tell people how to drive their cars in a way that makes it less likely that I'll be run down and killed.
  • Options
    I don't drive a car, and I totally support the idea that a few hundred strangers miles away can tell people how to drive their cars in a way that makes it less likely that I'll be run down and killed.

And as we see...it doesn't work. People still drive dangerously, still do stupid things. No matter, because this fear has let those parasites dip their fingers in yet more productive people's gravy.

It amazes me that people think the law stops things from happening, when all it is able to do is to clean up afterwards.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I am all in favour of speed cameras catching people and them getting fined for speeding well over the speed limit, or even just a bit over it, but when a speed camera catches you slipping one mile over the limit, as in a 40mph limit and you do 41mph but do not notice it when you glance down at your speedometer, thats just plain theivery against the motorist.
    That doesn't happen though does it?

The official consensus is at least 10% +2 mph over the limit to trigger the camera. I.e. 35mph+ on a 30 zones, 46+ on a 40, 57 on a 50+ and so on.

In reality many cameras are actually set to higher speeds than that.

I'm sure there has been the odd case of a camera malfunctioning or a policeman being overzealous with a hand-held speed gun but that is not the norm.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I really find it extraordinary that the very same people who claim to ''stand for law and order'' and see themselves as ''law abiding'' (i.e. the right wing tabloids) have the fucking cheek to moan about speed cameras and speak of "crusades against the motorist".

Anyone who has been caught by a speed camera was breaking the law. End of. Those who don't want the government/police to "steal" money from them are kindly advised to drive under the speed limit. :rolleyes:
    I bow to you sir.

It's a whinge by people who think that the law doesn't apply to them.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    That doesn't happen though does it?

The official consensus is at least 10% +2 mph over the limit to trigger the camera. I.e. 35mph+ on a 30 zones, 46+ on a 40, 57 on a 50+ and so on.

In reality many cameras are actually set to higher speeds than that.

I'm sure there has been the odd case of a camera malfunctioning or a policeman being overzealous with a hand-held speed gun but that is not the norm.

That isnt true! well it might be everywhere but here in Leeds, i can't even slip accidentally over th elimit by 1 mile or else i get clicked by a Camera. You can not drive through the Rodley area here even remotely over th elimit in anyway or you get a Fine. Most people who live there are involved in a campaign to have them taken down because of how much it costs them.

Maybe it is just around here on roads i drive on that happens though.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    That isnt true! well it might be everywhere but here in Leeds, i can't even slip accidentally over th elimit by 1 mile or else i get clicked by a Camera. You can not drive through the Rodley area here even remotely over th elimit in anyway or you get a Fine. Most people who live there are involved in a campaign to have them taken down because of how much it costs them.

Are you slipping over the limit by 1mph or much more likely that its a bit more than 1mph.

Its common sense - people driving too fast are more likely to crash and when they do are more likely to cause someone death or serious injury.

OK it impacts on my freedom, but I've never been convinced by the argument that my absolute freedom to do what I want, when I want and how I want overrules other's right to life.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:

That is not common practice. There is not much noticeable difference between 31 and 35mph in a car speedometer (or whatever they are called) and perhaps you're going slightly faster than you thought, or that the speedometer is giving slightly innacurate readings.

Trying to catch people who are doing just a couple of miles over the limit is plain wrong however, and if that is in fact what the authorities in your area is doing they need 'outing'.
  • Options
    North Wales police tried to fine me for doing 31 in a 30. :rolleyes:

How harsh the rules are enforced depends on the area you are in in a lot of cases.
    OK it impacts on my freedom, but I've never been convinced by the argument that my absolute freedom to do what I want, when I want and how I want overrules other's right to life.

I agree. I'd love an explanation of how me going a bit faster on the way home automatically injures other people though.
  • Options
    Subject13 wrote:

still doesnt make a difference, if you break the law, you break the law
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    North Wales police tried to fine me for doing 31 in a 30. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Erm... well, speeding generaly is OK, as long as you are in Control. I think your skill should help gauge alot of it really. And ifhte road is empty at 2am, and you are doing 120...

You are the only person. What is wrong? IF you crash, only you get injured or die.
  • Options
    it sounds hit, but if you are doing 31 in a 30 zone, you are breaking the law

but north wales doesnt exist does it klintock, so how can they have a police force
  • Options
    but north wales doesnt exist does it klintock, so how can they have a police force

I said "tried".
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    it sounds hit, but if you are doing 31 in a 30 zone, you are breaking the law

Aye... but thats like saying one of your toes was tresspassing onto property.
    MrG wrote:

No, they are just under the illusion they are the North Wales Police force. :)
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I agree. I'd love an explanation of how me going a bit faster on the way home automatically injures other people though.

It doesn't need to do so automatically - it just increases the risk. Same as if I decide to open fire with a rifle on the street I may not automatically hit someone, but theres a risk I will do and for that reason the police and courts take a dim view, even if no-one is injured
  • Options
    It doesn't need to do so automatically - it just increases the risk. Same as if I decide to open fire with a rifle on the street I may not automatically hit someone, but theres a risk I will do and for that reason the police and courts take a dim view, even if no-one is injured

These are the same courts that give you relatively tiny punishments for killing someone with a vehicle, yes?

I think the example is a bit flawed too. Cars are not solely designed to injure other people. It's just a side effect of their use. Blasting away with a gun can only have one effect, and that is to injure.
  • Options
    Im pretty sure my speedometer is not broken and is accurate. It isnt just me either, its a whole community who know they are there and do all they can to not slip over. i have even resorted to driving at 25 mph in Rodley now just to make sure.

MrG, have you never broken then law? Even by accident?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    speed cameras aside, if you break the law, you break the law, im not going to go into arguments concerning if the law is correct or not, but if you break the law you have committed an offence

why the hell do people hate speed cameras so much? most likely because they catch you doing things you shouldnt be, you all hate them because they are an effective means to catch you speeding, to catch you using your mobile phone, you cant complain about a speed camera catching you do anything, if it has proven you have broken the law

its like a small kid saying its not fair that he got grassed up, well maybe it isnt fair, but if people didnt speed and didnt use their mobile phones while driving then they wouldnt have been caught

and before anyone says i dont know what its like, i dont care about how easy it is to make a mistake about speeding, tough shit if you accidently pick up your phone, you did it, its your mistake, you get caught, you get done
    simple as

owning a car will never be a criminal offence, the only reason speed cameras are oney grabbing, and the only reason so many fines get generated is surprise surprise, people break the law
    well thankyou mr black and white!......is life allways that simple and clear cut for you then?

case in point:-

i was travelling down to cornwall on newyears eve,i hit road works at bristol.there were tempory speed camera's......speed limit was 50mph at the start.
    at approx 50mph i saw a speed limit sign of 30mph,no more than 100 yards on was a camera that flashed me....if i'd have broke sharpley in the rain,i could have caused an accident trying to keep to speed limit of 30 mph......that is fuckin wrong!!
  • Options
    Speed cameras are just cash generators and speed has been demonised to fulfil a PC-driven agenda.

SPEED KILLS = Politically Correct Mantra, (that tells only a very small part of the real truth)

We've all been brain-washed by this simplistic approach which also just happens to generate a lot of money - any connection I wonder?

Its interesting to note that "speeding" is well down the list of causes for accidents, but its also worth noting that 70% of the accidents caused by speeding are cases involving speeds LESS than the speed limit applicable to the road!

One is almost tempted to say SLOW DRIVING CAUSES ACCIDENTS! But I won't.

It is reckoned, after analysis, that only around 1.00% of all road accidents are caused by drivers EXCEEDING the speed limit. This puts it on a par with habitual nose-pickers and women putting their make-up on whilst driving - the latter I saw on the M4 last week!!! Incredible!!

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/pr110.html

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's a whinge by people who think that the law doesn't apply to them.

The law's a arse so whilst it may apply to me, I think I'm perfectly in my right to 'whinge' when I get caught for breaking it.
    Weekender Offender