Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

tony on the telly ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just watched parky.
the god bit ...press blew it out of all proportion.
tony ALWAYS impresses me with his communication skills.
in my lifetime there has never been such a prime minister.
very impressive guy.

i liked the bit about him and the missus ...the infamous father in law pays his first visit ti their new house sits down and asks...mind if i roll a joint tony?
tonys reply ...no mate.
:D

Comments

• Options
    well said rolly, i caught it all bar the first 15 mins, was impressive
  • Options
    I like the guy too. A lot of politicians are good liars, but he does seem to be genuine with the things he says.
  • Options
    just watched parky.
    the god bit ...press blew it out of all proportion.
    tony ALWAYS impresses me with his communication skills.
    in my lifetime there has never been such a prime minister.
    very impressive guy.

i liked the bit about him and the missus ...the infamous father in law pays his first visit ti their new house sits down and asks...mind if i roll a joint tony?
    tonys reply ...no mate.
    :D
    ha ha! that made me laugh to....i'll miss him. :crazyeyes :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Haha, sounds ace! I am now upset I missed it!
  • Options
    I like the guy too. A lot of politicians are good liars, but he does seem to be genuine with the things he says.
    my thoughts exactly......we've had worse let mi tell thi!!!
  • Options
    press blew it out of all proportion.

really :eek:
  • Options
    I like Tone but I don't reckon he will be PM for much longer :(.
  • Options
    Loontastic.
  • Options
    I prefered he attempts to speak french leading a comment of homosexuality with the French Prime Minister. Hilarious.
  • Options
    Aw, wish I'd seen it. Will catch it on a repeat some time or another.

I actually met Blair when the Labour Party gave their call-centre workers a trip to London at Christmas. My friend took me as her guest and we went to a big fancy do in Downing Street (with free drink, important details!). He is incredibly charasmatic, and was as orange as a satsuma. Cherie is much more attractive in person, much. :)
  • Options
    Is Tony the new Messiah? Have we mis-read and misunderstood the man? Is a new age about to dawn where peace and light will reign? Are McCains oven chips really potato?
  • Options
    I agree with you Morrocon

The media so blew it out of proportion. Even parky tried putting words in his mouth. What he said makes perfect sense to me and I have no porblem with him. He communicates well, he is a smart guy and make funny comments along with funny stories.

He is a good guy.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    He is a good guy.

It is a large part of his job to look like that.
  • Options
    He's one of the best there is at what he does, no doubt about that. Some of his anchoring is extraordinary.

Top tip when dealing with charasmatic people - ignore what they say and watch how they behave. He's great at making the right noises and then going and killing thousands of innocent people.

Which do you think is the important bit to focus on?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Which do you think is the important bit to focus on?

:thumb:
  • Options
    Of course he’s a good communicator and can make himself seem like a good guy – he’s a politician! If he was an inarticulate oaf, he wouldn’t have gotten very far in his chosen career, would he?

I’m sure Dr Shipman had a pleasant bedside manner and all...
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Of course he’s a good communicator and can make himself seem like a good guy – he’s a politician! If he was an inarticulate oaf, he wouldn’t have gotten very far in his chosen career, would he?

Like I said, a lot of politicians (quite often the ones that are most successful) are good communicators and often good liars. Tony Blair could well be extremely skilled at lying, but to me in that interview he seemed quite sincere.
  • Options
    He sounded very sincere and impressive when he was making all those speeches about Saddam Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction as well – probably ‘coz he’d even talked himself into believing it, the numpty.
  • Options
    So he believes his own bullshit?

Just leaves him a mass murderer and thief.
  • Options
    his own bullshit. to be honest he hardly mentioned anything too contreversial at all
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    He sounded very sincere and impressive when he was making all those speeches about Saddam Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction as well – probably ‘coz he’d even talked himself into believing it, the numpty.

Being sincere and believing your own misguided bullshit are not mutually exclusive. He seems like a decent guy, but obviously I find his decisions on Iraq ever-so-slightly dubious.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    If he was an inarticulate oaf, he wouldn’t have gotten very far in his chosen career, would he?

If being an inarticulate oaf was the kiss of death to a political career then why isn't Dubya working on a hog-hunting ranch in Texas?
  • Options
    No, the media have not blown this out of proportion. (though I must admit this Tessa Jowell story is getting a bit dull now) He seems to be saying that God will be his judge. Doesn't Tony remember that he's accountable to the British electorate? The words of a man who's been in power for too long. There's so much to be said in favour of a two-term limit for Prime Ministers in this country.
  • Options
    So... what did he actually say?
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    If being an inarticulate oaf was the kiss of death to a political career then why isn't Dubya working on a hog-hunting ranch in Texas?

He’s got that saved up for his retirement…:D

I think Bush’s shtick is as fake as Blair’s but he’s playing to a different audience – he’s trying to endear himself to his voters as a down-home, folksy, good ‘ol boy Texan type, when in reality he’s a Yale-educated member of a family so rich and privileged that his father bought him a major league baseball team.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    So... what did he actually say?
    Tony said, when asked if he'd prayed to God when deciding whether to send troops into Iraq;

"Yes. Of course, you struggle with your own conscience about it... and its one of these situations that, I suppose, very few people ever find themselves in. In the end, there is a judgement that, I think if you have faith about these things, you realise that judgement is made by other people... and if you believe in God, it's made by God as well. The only way you can take a decision like that is to do the right thing according to your conscience."
  • Options
    Where did you get that quote from?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Where did you get that quote from?
    I copied it into a thread I did on Friday evening, I got it from here.
  • Options
    Some leadres don't give a toss about coming across well. I think Tony is a good guy.

People always try and villify their leaders, spereating them out liek they are some big boogey men.

What they are is important people with a big job and big decisions to make.

Like it or not.
  • Options
    Of course it’s a big job – that’s no excuse for them getting it wrong and making bad decisions.