Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hotel chain taking action against smoking ban

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
read

I think is outragous. Surely people having to put up with peoples disgusting habit of smoking and breathing in other peoples smoke etc is againts human rights too?

Comments

• Options
    Good for them.
    Surely people having to put up with peoples disgusting habit of smoking and breathing in other peoples smoke etc is againts human rights too?

I quite agree. Having to breathe in smoke would be a terrible thing. Of course, there is nowhere that you have to in this man's hotels because you don't have to go into them. If you don't like it, pay to sleep somewhere else.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Good for them.

I quite agree. Having to breathe in smoke would be a terrible thing. Of course, there is nowhere that you have to in this man's hotels because you don't have to go into them. If you don't like it, pay to sleep somewhere else.

Why should non smokers have to go other places in order to aviod being intoxicated by other peoples smoke?
  • Options
    So far as the hotel has designated non-smoking areas and non-smoking rooms, what's the problem?

Anyone who claims is disturbed or could be harmed by someone smoking in the same building is simply lying, or imagining things at best. So long as there are segregated areas for smokers and non-smokers it's not an issue at all.
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    read

I think is outragous. Surely people having to put up with peoples disgusting habit of smoking and breathing in other peoples smoke etc is againts human rights too?

Is it against my human rights as a smoker for it to be banned?!
  • Options
    Yes, i am with you guys! I do not smoke, my dad has quit an dmy brother is trying to quit, my mum never ever smoked...but...why should it be forced on a business like a hotel with easily created segregation to have to not allow anyone to smoke.

Its stupid, like when celebrities like mariah carey claim they can smell some one smoke over 500 yeards away from them when they cant.
  • Options
    Did she really say that?

What an idiot she is... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I do think this is quite unfair, but the problem is, even if it is a non smoking area some assholes smoke anyway. People (sometimes its even the cleaners that clean the rooms) try to smoke in non smoking rooms any way. We have had to take my brother to hospital on numerous occasions for his athsma attacks because some jerks have been smoking in a non smoking area.

Of course this is a very small minority who are spoiling it for the rest of the polite and considerate smokers.
  • Options
    Good for them. Someone needs to something, maybe the Lords might do something. Or if all else fails smokers should ignore the ban en masse.
  • Options
    I do think this is quite unfair, but the problem is, even if it is a non smoking area some assholes smoke anyway. People (sometimes its even the cleaners that clean the rooms) try to smoke in non smoking rooms any way. We have had to take my brother to hospital on numerous occasions for his athsma attacks because some jerks have been smoking in a non smoking area.

We should make more rules because people don't follow the ones we already have. Hmmmmmmmm....... theres something not quite right with this picture.........

What are you smoking?
  • Options
    Good for them. Someone needs to something, maybe the Lords might do something. Or if all else fails smokers should ignore the ban en masse.
    we could arrange a smoke in!
  • Options

:yes:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If you don't like it, pay to sleep somewhere else.

Same could be said for smokers, as well.
    So long as there are segregated areas for smokers and non-smokers it's not an issue at all.

IIRC, this was mentioned (can't remember who said it, though) in the thread about the Smoking Ban Bill being passed. I agree with this - it would also mean that, people who aren't too bothered about breathing in smoke could still talk to their friends who smoke in the smoking areas...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

and smokers would agree.
    a smoker would not want to go to a hotel with no smoking would they.
  • Options
    Which is the whole point of what this hotel is doing isnt it? providing a smoker with a hotel to stay at, since all the others are non-smokers hotels!
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Except of course, the law will mean that they don't have a choice.

I think smokers are happy to avoid non-smoking areas, where they also have the option to smoke elsewhere...
  • Options
    i think smokers and non smokers alike dont understand the conceptual difference between a freedom and a right
  • Options
    Can we have a hotel where nobody can arrive or leave by car? The polluting killing machines and their poisonous fumes bother me.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Can we have a hotel where nobody can arrive or leave by car? The polluting killing machines and their poisonous fumes bother me.

LOL (or are you being serious?)

But the thing is, with smoking it's not exactly useful/benefits the user in anyway, unlike a car would, would it?
  • Options
    Yeah I was kidding... though when people stretch the non-smoking argument to the point of 'the smoke of a cigarette 175 miles away bothers me- let's ban it', it's fair game to demand the same of cars.

In many cases cars are not a necessity at all... just a convenience.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yeah I was kidding... though when people stretch the non-smoking argument to the point of 'the smoke of a cigarette 175 miles away bothers me- let's ban it', it's fair game to demand the same of cars.

In many cases cars are not a necessity at all... just a convenience.
    In all cases they are - sorry. We coped without them, therefore they are in no way necessary. Get a horse if you give that much of a shit, and go live in some remote Siberian waste.

Then you won't bother us with your moaning about cars, when the REAL polluters are factories, and indeed, cows.

Good for the Hotel! I agree with it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Someone smoking that far away from me doesn't bother me - it's just when there's some inconsiderate person who decides to blow the smoke in my face...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Someone smoking that far away from me doesn't bother me - it's just when there's some inconsiderate person who decides to blow the smoke in my face...

that pisses me off too.
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    that pisses me off too.

Er, that would piss everyone off, smoker or non. It's rudeness and a lack of consideration, being a smoker doesn't automatically mean you possess those qualities. You'll find that a lot of smokers are very considerate of others and have been nagged to a point where they feel guilty for having a snout which they are ENTITLED TO HAVE (just not anywhere where there might be a civilised person who operates on a higher plain i.e. a non-smoker knocking about, as of 2007).

I like the way you think. :thumb:

On topic, good for them indeed.
  • Options
    Smoking near you is not the same as blowing it in your face. Typical whining exaggeration.
    I don't smoke, by the way. But I couldn't really care if people do.
  • Options
    Smoking near me IS the same as blowing it in my face.

But I don't have a problem with segregation. usual terms apply- 85% of the hotel's accomodation should be non-smoking, all corridors and lobbies should be, and if a guest smokes in a non-smoking room he should be getting a fine in the hundreds if not the thousands.

Rooms that have been smoked in absolutely stink for days afterwards. But so long as I don't have to sleep in one, I don't care. Let them have their smoking rooms. So long as I don't need to walk through smoke to get to my room, and so long as my room doesn't stink of smoke, who cares?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Smoking near me IS the same as blowing it in my face.

When you've stopped approaching the topic through the red mist that so frequently descends upon you when dealing with topics you feel strongly about, it's not really is it? We could do an experiment perhaps? I'll sit next to you and blow an entire cigarette's smoke into your face, and then I’ll sit on the table next to you and see if the effects are anywhere near the same. You may feel angry about dealing with smokers but let’s not lose all grip on reality, even if it does ostensibly serve your argument.
    But I don't have a problem with segregation. usual terms apply- 85% of the hotel's accomodation should be non-smoking, all corridors and lobbies should be, and if a guest smokes in a non-smoking room he should be getting a fine in the hundreds if not the thousands.

Maybe we could just dispose of their heads via the guillotine instead? It'd ensure less reoffenders. Seriously, a little perspective please.
    Rooms that have been smoked in absolutely stink for days afterwards. But so long as I don't have to sleep in one, I don't care. Let them have their smoking rooms. So long as I don't need to walk through smoke to get to my room, and so long as my room doesn't stink of smoke, who cares?

You seem to, quite vehemently in fact.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    You'll find that a lot of smokers are very considerate of others and have been nagged to a point where they feel guilty for having a snout which they are ENTITLED TO HAVE .

as i said above:
    "i think smokers and non smokers alike dont understand the conceptual difference between a freedom and a right"

being free to do something, is not the same as being entitled to
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    MrG wrote:
    as i said above:
    "i think smokers and non smokers alike dont understand the conceptual difference between a freedom and a right"

Yeah... alot of smokers and non-smoekrs seem to miss the point.

But I think this ban is going too far. Let the Landlord decide! What if a landlord smokes? Are we denying him this, in HIS OWN PUB?
  • Options
    in many cases where there is a landlord, it still isnt his pub
  • Options
    I think the ownership issue is a pretty interesting one in cases like this. Some posters have thought me fucking nuts for saying the government owns (or thinks it owns) everything.

Of course, telling you what to do with "your" stuff means you don't own it, they do. This includes your children for immunisation, your life if they want to fight wars and ofc, your pub if they want to meddle with lots of people's health and YOU just in general.

Your always free to do whatever pops into your head and can make physically happen. Your "owners" might disagree with what you choose and say you aren't entitled. Their power over you consists of doing something after you've acted.