Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

most underrated bands?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So which bands would you say deserve more praise than they get? Whether that's from the critics, the media or the fans.

I'll say Feeder, they haven't done so well in the charts recently but I still think they're a great band, and really good to watch live. Still get fairly good ratings from the critics, but the fan-base has shrunk considerably since the wonder years...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Haven't Feeder announced they're splitting up? Ages ago?

I'd say Yeti. Out of all the bands to come out of The Libertines (depending on how Dirty Pretty Things go..) they are the best - yet they seem to get least attention.

There are alot of small indie bands like Battle and The Young Knives that don't seem to be getting the attention they deserve, but who knows.. some of them could go huge in a coupla months..

Maximo park to a certain extent. Hmm. I'll probably think of some more in a minute.

ETA: Patrick wolf and Adam Green.
  • Options
    I'll say Feeder, they haven't done so well in the charts recently but I still think they're a great band, and really good to watch live. Still get fairly good ratings from the critics, but the fan-base has shrunk considerably since the wonder years...

Feeder lost the game after Johns death....shame really. Great band, Insomnia is still a favourite song, but Comfort In Sound and their other recent stuff, leaves a lot to be desred in comparison....
  • Options
    The Wedding Present (either that or they are just remembered for their 12 singles of '92 - and for the record, they did MUCH more than that)
    Ukranians
    Cinerama
    Clint Boon Experience
    Nylon Pylon
  • Options
    I adore The Bravery, but the majority of people who I mention it to look really blank because they have no idea who they are.
  • Options
    the bravery? i thought they were quite well known? i am surprised radiohead are not more main stream considering their overall success
  • Options
    Testament. Could have and should have been as big as Metallica.

The Pixies, who although well known only achieved half the success they deserved imho.

Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, again well known but overshadowed by the likes of Nirvana.

Opeth.
  • Options
    Belle and Sebastien ... other than a few friends whenever i ask if anyone likes/knows them people seem to say something along the lines of 'oh the name rings a bell' or 'yeah they're alright.'

the Doves - how does no one else realise they are *genius*

the coral - deserve a lot more success that pretty much all the new crop of indie bands!
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Belle and Sebastien ... other than a few friends whenever i ask if anyone likes/knows them people seem to say something along the lines of 'oh the name rings a bell' or 'yeah they're alright.'

Agreed here. I know 4, maybe 5 people who have heard of them. Everyone lese is like 'who? I've never heard of them...'
  • Options
    Yeah, definitely The Doves. They were the first band that came to mind. The Coral are fantastic as well, good call Jon.

I find it quite sad that The Proclaimers are only largely known for their student anthem. I think they're excellent.

Not bands, but: Loreena McKennitt, Cat Power, Kay Hanley, Ana Egge and Joel Plaskett are all woefully underrated imo.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, again well known but overshadowed by the likes of Nirvana.

Ah yes. I agree.
  • Options
    Funeral for a friend are pretty underrated, shame cos i really like them
  • Options
    Funeral for a friend are pretty underrated, shame cos i really like them

FFAF? Underated?! :eek2:
  • Options
    I thought Yeti were fairly good though i wouldnt buy an album. The Coral-i like one of their songs but their slot at Noise&Confusion was disappointing. Then again they did play between The Subways who were fantastic and the Foo's, so maybe it wasnt the best event for them to play at.
    Saw The Doves last summer, dont know their music but what i heard seemed good.

I love QOTSA, and i dont know why but get the impression the newest album hasnt hit the mark. I really liked it, probably most of the fans do, but i dont think they're as big as the could be.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    I thought Yeti were fairly good though i wouldnt buy an album.

Go on.. give em another listen.. It'd make my day. :D

Yeti really aren't a stadium band - they're better in tiny little sweaty venues like The Luminere but they are a brilliant band. It's the album i'm most looking forward to this year (if we're lucky.. if not 2007.. )
  • Options
    FFAF are horribly overrated, or at least they were when they released the album with juneau.

anyway, underrated

Sonic Youth

Cave In

mclusky

Modest Mouse (incredibly overrated in the USA, yet underrated here - odd)

The Shins

Primus
  • Options
    my vote goes to aqualung! they make nice easy to listen to songs but only seem to have found limited fame with their one song strange & beautiful, and that was only cause it was played on an advert.
    Although i am a bit biased because i especially like them for sending out a copy of their album to me for free when they first made it
  • Options
    Wouldn't be right if I didn't comment on this...
    Sikorah wrote:
    I love QOTSA, and i dont know why but get the impression the newest album hasnt hit the mark. I really liked it, probably most of the fans do, but i dont think they're as big as the could be.
    I think the new album, after a few listens, has actually grown on me a hell of a lot, and the performance they put on when live is amazing, surpassing any other bands i've seen play live. I don't think Josh would let them sell out, but people may start to think that after Dave Grohl's little help on Songs For The Deaf, it pushed them more into the public domain, with a lot of people expecting bigger and better from Lullabies to Paralyse. Nick Oliveri's departure wasn't met with happy faces of the fans, but it's not their place to say who stays and who goes, especially given the revolving line-up that QOTSA has always had going with it.

The first album was much underrated, as were the Split EP's with Beaver and Kyuss. But it was Rated R I believe, with Feel Good Hit Of The Summer and The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret that got them noticed to begin with.

Aside from the QOTSA ramble above...

I'd agree with the Soundgarden/Alice In Chains comment, i'd mention Screaming Trees too. Always thought Silverchair were a bit underrated, but then I don't think they've been as popular over here as they are over in Oz.
  • Options
    Good call on the Doves - although I feel that they're pretty well respected.

The new Black Rebel Motorcycle Club album is excellent, a massive departure from the other shit that they did.

The Black Keys - who?? I hear you say.

Gomez - how could I forget these dudes? THe first 2 albums were wicked but after that, they got a bit shit.

I'm sorry but The fucking Bravey???? underrated??? :confused:Shit, more like.
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    Wouldn't be right if I didn't comment on this...

I think the new album, after a few listens, has actually grown on me a hell of a lot, and the performance they put on when live is amazing, surpassing any other bands i've seen play live. I don't think Josh would let them sell out, but people may start to think that after Dave Grohl's little help on Songs For The Deaf, it pushed them more into the public domain, with a lot of people expecting bigger and better from Lullabies to Paralyse. Nick Oliveri's departure wasn't met with happy faces of the fans, but it's not their place to say who stays and who goes, especially given the revolving line-up that QOTSA has always had going with it.

The first album was much underrated, as were the Split EP's with Beaver and Kyuss. But it was Rated R I believe, with Feel Good Hit Of The Summer and The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret that got them noticed to begin with.

The last QOTSA album is brilliant.. I think songs for the deaf was their most 'mainstream' album. Nobody took much notice when Lullabies was released.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    The Pixies, who although well known only achieved half the success they deserved imho.

:yes: Definitely.

Also, more recently, Arcade Fire. Best band I've heard in ages.
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:
    The last QOTSA album is brilliant.. I think songs for the deaf was their most 'mainstream' album. Nobody took much notice when Lullabies was released.
    It is pretty good, actually it's very good. Lot of work went into it, and you can tell too. One thing i've always liked about QOTSA is their sound always seems to be different on each album, of the 4 main album's they've released, they've all sounded pretty different in terms of instrumentals, and vocals too. Perhaps the product of the revolving line-up scenario. Plus Josh is never short of a few fellow musicians to help out anyway, namely Chris Goss, Mark Lanegan, Dean Ween, Alain Johannes, and more.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Cazzoo wrote:
    FFAF? Underated?! :eek2:

I think they are far overated tbh :lol: They are deffinatley NOT underated!

Underated? Megadeth. And GWAR. Why, can I not find them in any shops?
  • Options

It was them who released a song in 2003 called 'Hard Row', wasn't it?
  • Options
    Dont get me wrong about Lullabies to Paralyse, i didt mean i wasnt impressed, because i love it,the whole album is excellent, i just mean, as Cazzoo put it- nobody took much notice.
    Ill be seeing them live in June, theyre supporting Foo's at Hyde Park.
  • Options
    am i the only one who thinks fightstar are really good?
    I think the only thing holding them back is the stereo type most people have placed on them because charlie used to be in busted. tbh i was expecting them to suck, then i heard them play.
  • Options

I know who they are.

Underrated? Gov't Mule, Mountain, Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa, Drive-by Truckers.......it's not that their underrated, more that they're not mainstream and don't get the coverage.
  • Options
    Underrated? Funeral for a friend dont get the respect they deserve. I'd also go for Inme who have relased two brilliant albums, but are largly ignored by the mass public.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Megadeth

:thumb:
  • Options
    Underrated? Funeral for a friend dont get the respect they deserve. I'd also go for Inme who have relased two brilliant albums, but are largly ignored by the mass public.
    Both those bands are great, i think funeral are pretty well recognised now though, but InMe should be a lot more highly regarded and i agree, their albums are quality!
  • Options
    Westlife
    Pussycat Dolls

:crazyeyes