Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

'Ming' Campbell is Lib Dems new leader

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4763646.stm

First off, I'd like to say (and I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago when the Lib Dems won by a massive swing a by-election) that reports of the Lib Dem party's demise have been greatly exaggerated. That was just wishful thinking on the part of the Daily Telegraph or some members of this forum- who would like to see the Lib Dems dissapear as they appreciate the effect they have on Tory fortunes.

Now to Campbell: I think he's a great choice. He's highly respected, experienced and knowledgable MP. Every time he's been on radio or TV he's made far more sense than any other politician on the panel. Some of his performances on BBC Question Time have been quite devastating.

The Telegraph thought Campbell was just about the worst possible choice- another reason to like him then :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    they have a membership of 75,000 ...WOW!
    enough to fill a stadium ...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

First off, I'd like to say (and I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago when the Lib Dems won by a massive swing a by-election) that reports of the Lib Dem party's demise have been greatly exaggerated. That was just wishful thinking on the part of the Daily Telegraph or some members of this forum- who would like to see the Lib Dems dissapear as they appreciate the effect they have on Tory fortunes.

Now to Campbell: I think he's a great choice. He's highly respected, experienced and knowledgable MP. Every time he's been on radio or TV he's made far more sense than any other politician on the panel. Some of his performances on BBC Question Time have been quite devastating.

The Telegraph thought Campbell was just about the worst possible choice- another reason to like him then :D

No-one said the Liberals were going to dissapear, but personally I think they've reached their high water mark and the only way they're going is down. That's not to say they won't do well in some by-elections and win some seats in the next general election, but it won't be as many as they've got now.

Campbell probably the best choice from a bad bunch. He's not the future and whilst he's extremely well informed on foreign affairs I'm not sure he's interested in domestic policies to really push Lib-Dems policy. Against that he's experienced.

Huhne just isn't known enough. Even now I'd have trouble recognising him on the street.

Hughes is a good campaigner, but very divisive within the party. he has his hardcore supporters, but also a hardcore who hate him (there's a definite anybody but Hughes element within the Party). Also like it or not he ran an extremely homnphobic campaign to be elected to Parliament and was then forced to out himself - homosexuality is probably not that big a thing to many voters now (doesn't seem to have done Alan Duncan or Chris Smith harm), but hypocrisy is another matter.
  • Options
    He has been quite good on TV whenever I've seen him. He seems to actually answer the questions and have clear opinions and views......which means he'll probably do crap in the elections whenever they may be.
  • Options
    He looks like a Tory!
  • Options
    cue flash gordon jokes

to be honest, they have a membership of 75,000
    they had an alcohol scandal with their former leader

they had a homosexual/affair story about a leader candidate,
    and yet they still have massive support, as shown in the recent bi election

smells like we are onto something here
  • Options
    Campbell is undoubtedly more capable than Kennedy who had frankly started to lose the plot. (Although I don’t think the drink was as bigger issue as it was made out to be). While Campbell is able I don’t think he has the appeal that Kennedy apparently had with the public, tbh Campbell has the persona of an ageing archaic peer in the Lords rather than a modern politician seeking to lead this country. It’s widely presumed however that Campbell is a stopgap between now and the next election; an interim caretaker leader.

The LibDems aren’t irrelevant yet but I think they’re heading for a fall, if not facing the brink of political extinction in a few years time. Assuming Cameron remains the Conservative leader and maintains his strategy of moving the Conservatives towards the political centre the LibDems will lose votes from the centre and see former Conservative voters going back to the Tories. Meanwhile if Brown as expected becomes Labour leader moving Labour to the left Labour will win back a lot of their traditional strongholds that the LibDems have challenged in recent years. And the LibDem approach of talking like Old Labour when fighting seats in strong Labour areas and trying to place themselves to the right of the Tories when fighting the Tories is becoming increasingly unsustainable, it’s embarrassing and squeezed by Cameron and Brown from both sides they’re going to struggle.

Although there does remain a strong possibility that Brown or Cameron would need the LibDems to form a government. Although I believe a hung parliament rather than strengthening the LibDems, allowing a small party holding the balance of power to exert great influence would actually fatally divide them – with LibDems in disagreement on whether to go with Brown, stay out of a coalition government or possibly even go with Cameron.
  • Options
    The Lib-Dems have reached their highest point.

Now we have Ming Campbell as their leader, ok, he can talk sense abit more then Kennedy ever did, even if he does have a rather slow voice. But still, he is not going to change the party anymore then it has already changed. I am sure he will be nice for a few years, maybe one election, then old age will set in and it will be bye bye Ming.
  • Options
    To be fair few opposition leaders last much longer than a full term.

In fact, has an opposition party leader ever stayed for a full two terms and lost two elections? I like to know these things, you never know when they're going to turn up in a pub quiz.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

You know something Aladdin, for all your huff and puff against discrimination and state repression you "big up" some bizarre people. However pink & fluffy they appear, they are still desperate to preside over what is clearly an immoral system...the system being the root cause of everything you despise.

I bet you were really happy when Blair won the election in '97 yeah?
  • Options
    illness heart attack death ...bye bye libs.
  • Options
    is there anything to get excited about?
    different face same old politics.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    MrG wrote:
    cue flash gordon jokes

..and amoung his new policies, are killing flash gordon!
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    You know something Aladdin, for all your huff and puff against discrimination and state repression you "big up" some bizarre people. However pink & fluffy they appear, they are still desperate to preside over what is clearly an immoral system...the system being the root cause of everything you despise.

I'm sorry you've lost me there... What is immoral? Democracy or the Lib Dem policies?
  • Options
    I dont know, either the Tories will position themselves so close to Labour it will back fire and the Lib Dem's will make good gains, or, all their gains of late will be swept away. Its a tough one.

Ming; I'm not sure, he was rubbish in the House against Blair when it really mattered, I wanted Oaten, but then he turned out to have strange tastes.
  • Options
    The Lib Dems will be squashed at the next election - and about time too.

They should all just give up and join one of the parties that actually matter in British politics.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:

To be fair, I'd have voted Blair in '97 if I were old enough.

But then what party can you trust? Tories are little more than political chameleans with no real oritentation anymore, New Labour have become Bush's lapdog and betrayed what Labour originally stood for, Lib Dems... In my opinion hold some very nice ideas, but can we trust them?

Green Party are too radical for us lazy indulgant Brits, RESPECT have got all buddy buddy with radical Muslims and have incited violence against Peter Tatchell, BNP are a joke...

I mean what can ya do?
  • Options
    The Lib Dems stand a good chance of holding the balance of power at the next election ‘coz there’s every possibility of a hung parliament – if that happens they might be able to get a proportional representation bill through and then their future will look a lot brighter…
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:

I was damned happy when Blair won the election - after 18 years of Tory rule by Thatcher and Major, I'd have been happy if space aliens from the planet Zzyzzx won the election as long as it got the Tories out of the way! Plus, back then I was young and naive enough to believe that it made a difference who won.
  • Options
    Ming Campbell... ah, what a difference that makes. Finally, a man with some brains in charge of a political party. Compared to Tony Blair, who has no integrity, and David Cameron, who has no brain to speak of, (nor any political ideas or beliefs of his own) he's an interesting choice. Good luck to Campbell.
  • Options
    Im sure he's probably a good choice for the Lib Dems....but surely a leader that old would put off some younger voters, i always Thought Kennedy's massive charisma and 'regular bloke' paid off well with the young.

Im just going to sit back and see what happens though.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Im sure he's probably a good choice for the Lib Dems....but surely a leader that old would put off some younger voters, i always thought Kennedy's massive charisma and 'regular bloke' paid off well with the young...
    Tony Blair thought much the same thing, now young people hate his guts. And everyone else.
  • Options
    Haven't they turned into an old person party now though, with their getting rid of council tax and all?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Tony Blair thought much the same thing, now young people hate his guts. And everyone else.

The relevence of this is? I don't think that many people "hated" Kennedy
  • Options
    Haven't they turned into an old person party now though, with their getting rid of council tax and all?
    I don't think it really matters. I wouldn't shed any tears if council tax were scrapped. It's about bloody time it were.
  • Options
    64 isn’t all that ancient for a party leader – the last time Churchill got elected he was 77. At least we should hopefully be spared the sight of Ming making excruciating attempts to prove he’s down with da kidz…
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Im sure he's probably a good choice for the Lib Dems....but surely a leader that old would put off some younger voters, i always Thought Kennedy's massive charisma and 'regular bloke' paid off well with the young.

Until such time as young people vote in numbers worth counting they will be ignored so this isnt really a concern.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Until such time as young people vote in numbers worth counting they will be ignored so this isnt really a concern.

Perhaps its the problem with the parties thats the problem though, not young people. Does any party try and specifically target younger voters? from what I've seen no. The thing they go for is the middle aged or the massive grey vote. If they continue to do this the young will continued to get disilolusioned with party politics.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Perhaps its the problem with the parties thats the problem though, not young people. Does any party try and specifically target younger voters? from what I've seen no. The thing they go for is the middle aged or the massive grey vote. If they continue to do this the young will continued to get disilolusioned with party politics.
    It more because they all try to please all of the people all of the time, and so all end up the same with no real positions on anything, other than the position that will get the most votes.
  • Options
    It more because they all try to please all of the people all of the time, and so all end up the same with no real positions on anything, other than the position that will get the most votes.

I dont think they even bother doing that. Politics is played for and defined by;

- Tabloids
    - Voters in key marginal seats
    - Potential donors to the parties

other people.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    From political parties view that makes sense - the younger you are the less likely you are to vote - so you aim policies more at those who are going to vote. Also younger people become older, rather than vice versa