Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Songs that make you cry

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Kind of carrying on from the 'films that make you cry..' thread

What songs make you cry, and why?

This morning i was feeling a bit emotional and Hallelujah by Jeff Buckely came on the radio and i was off.. If i'm already upset it's pretty much guaranteed to push me over the edge.. :p

'What became of the likely lads' - The Libertines.. too because it reminds me of an event in my life.. Bon jovi - Always/I'll be there for you..

And then some obvious ones like REM - Everybody hurts..
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Anything by Tori Amos.
  • Options
    Seriously? Like actual tears from a song? I'm going to have to say none, I'd cry if I started crying from a song. :p
  • Options
    Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Joy Division - 24 Hours
    REM - Losing My Religion
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Ship Song
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Seriously? Like actual tears from a song? I'm going to have to say none, I'd cry if I started crying from a song. :p

It's not like i'll go from all happy to instantly sad/crying or whatever just because i hear a song but yeah they can make me cry.. :p
  • Options
    Spice Girls - Viva Forever, Lionel Ritchie - Hello and The Proclaimers - I'm On My Way because they were played at my friends' funerals.

There's more but I can't remember the names of them.
  • Options
    A couple to do with my late gran..

There are others, that, if I'm in particular circumstances, can really bring me down.
    Like Destinys Child - She Can't Love You, The Shangri-Las - Maybe, Nelly Furtado - Try, and No Doubt - Simple Kind of Life for boyfriend troubles.
    And The Smiths - How Soon Is Now, or Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me, if I'm feeling pretty shit about myself.

Portishead's Dummy album puts me in a depressive mood, as can Nick Cave's Murder Ballads.
  • Options
    I have cried to songs, but it's normally because of something else going on in my life. Can't remember anything specific though.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

The Honeyroot version of this song always has me in tears, anyway:

Come Back Tomorrow - Inspiral Carpets
    Things We Do For Love - 10cc

Wilco's album 'Summer Teeth' always used to have me in tears. It would depend what mood in as to which song(s) will make me cry...
  • Options
    I get upset to certain songs if they have been played at people I knows funerals for example your beautiful James Blunt, Queen of my heart by westlife, I dont particularly like these songs I guess it is just the memories that you attach to them, on a personal note Slide away by Oasis is a sad song.
  • Options
    I get upset to certain songs if they have been played at people I knows funerals for example your beautiful James Blunt, Queen of my heart by westlife, I dont particularly like these songs I guess it is just the memories that you attach to them, on a personal note Slide away by Oasis is a sad song.

oh god.. how could i forget.. I wanna grow old with you - westlife.. did i really just admit that?
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    Lionel Ritchie - Hello
    Is it me your looking fooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrr!!!! Love the video!! :D :yes:
  • Options
    Coldplay - Beautiful world.

Only happened once...
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    Coldplay - Beautiful world.

Only happened once...
    That made me lol for real, twice in one day that's a record!!
  • Options
    I remember at a birthday party when I was younger I came flying off one of those roundabout things and headbutted the birthday girl while "Agadoo" was playing. I go into some sort of catatonic fit whenever it plays now.
  • Options
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Weeping Song
  • Options
    Prince - Sometimes It Snows In April.

Big fat tears every time...
  • Options
    Greenday - Time Of Your Life

- used to fuck me up after I split with my ex.

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt

- listen to it alot when I feel shitty, it can really get you down, but sometimes that's therapeutic.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Oh yes. If ever a song was suicidal, that's the one.

I cry like a little bitch at many songs, too many:

The Band Played Waltzing Matilda is terribly, terribly sad. To the point where I can't listen to it anymore, especially Joan Baez's version. Her version of Silver Dagger is another one.
    At My Window Sad and Lonely by Wilco (well, Guthrie's words obviously)
    Light Years by Pearl Jam
    Cold, Cold Ground and Georgia Lee by Tom Waits and the cover of Rainbow Sleeves that Rickie Lee Jones did.
    The Night Comes On by Leonard Cohen
    Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings (aka the "Platoon" music) is what I usually listen to when I'm in need of some catharsis.
    The Fields of Athenry by Paddy Reilly, the Dropkick Murphys' version doesn't make me quite so sad, for some reason. ;)

I can't leave this thread without mentioning The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Johnny Cash's version. It rips my heart to shreds, but I still love it above all other "sad" songs. I must be sick.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Greenday - Time Of Your Life

- used to fuck me up after I split with my ex.
    Think the songs called "Good Riddance"but i know how what you mean. when i found out wife was shagging around. That song and few others really effected me.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt

- listen to it alot when I feel shitty, it can really get you down, but sometimes that's therapeutic.

The Johnny Cash cover is way better.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Iron Maiden - Paschendale.

Thats a right sad song.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

:yes:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Hm, I personally prefer Cash's cover, but I don't know if one or the other is superior here.

Going on a big OT here, but, if Johnny Cash had been the original performer (and writer) of Hurt it'd still be a great song but the powerful thing about the cover is the twisted concept if you catch my drift. I'm not sure quite how to explain it, but in the original it's someone indulging (for want of a better word) their own beautiful depression and there's a feeling (to me, at least) that they still have the opportunity to turn it around. When Johnny Cash sings it, it's like he's talking back to the original singer, and it's all the more powerful because he has no choice but to "hurt" himself. The empire of dirt is literal, especially since he was dying when he was singing that song. So I can definitely see why one version would appeal to people more than others, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it all. ;)

American IV: The Man Comes Around is just generally awesome, awesome Cash covers. I love it, even though it's so sad and pretty dark.
  • Options
    Youll never walk alone!

The only time I have ever cried at a song, was at the first old firm game after my Granda died, My granda used to pick me up from school n he would always whistle to the tune of youlle never walk alone! N thts all I could imagine when we were singing it in the stadium. It touched my uncle too (my grandas son). It was the loudest and bestest time that I have ever heard the celtic fans sing this song and i will remember it til the day i die. :crying:
  • Options
    Dont think any songs have actually brought tears to my eyes but a few can get a lump in my throat:

K T Tunstall - Heal over
    Spice girls - goodbye (Lost someone close to me around the time this came out)
    REM - everybody hurts
    Boyzone - father and son
    Jimmy nail - Black and white
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Is it though? I love Cash's cover and am a big fan of his but the Nine Inch Nails original is just so powerful.

The whole song was written about drug abuse, and it's alot darker than Cash's, and I just think it's more raw and powerful. You can really feel the pain of the song.

briggi wrote:
    Going on a big OT here, but, if Johnny Cash had been the original performer (and writer) of Hurt it'd still be a great song but the powerful thing about the cover is the twisted concept if you catch my drift. I'm not sure quite how to explain it, but in the original it's someone indulging (for want of a better word) their own beautiful depression and there's a feeling (to me, at least) that they still have the opportunity to turn it around.

You know the score Briggi. I love Cash's cover but I can totally understand what you mean about the twisted concept and beautiful depression of the original. That is what hooks me. It probably is my favourite song.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    Think the songs called "Good Riddance"but i know how what you mean. when i found out wife was shagging around. That song and few others really effected me.

It's called either I think. Good Riddance (Time of your life)

It's a bit of cliched one, but it still has that effect on me.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Is it though? I love Cash's cover and am a big fan of his but the Nine Inch Nails original is just so powerful..

I think NIN are dreadful.
  • Options
    Etta James - I would rather go blind.
  • Options
    pilots - goldfrapp . whenever i hear it i think of 2 boys who died in my year :(