Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dream Car

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Or a Nissan Bluebird ZX Turbo. :D

try a nissan pulsar gtir :)

http://www.jpdirect.co.uk/nissan_pulsar_gtir.htm

rocket, very cheap to buy in comparison with other cars than can go as fast as this fucker!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    z01 wrote:
    try a nissan pulsar gtir :)

http://www.jpdirect.co.uk/nissan_pulsar_gtir.htm

rocket, very cheap to buy in comparison with other cars than can go as fast as this fucker!
    13.7 quarter? Impressive! Some guy near me has one, sitting next to a '77 Trans Am. Its amazing to think it could be that quick!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Mm, nice. Hows the Impreza, besides daft and Impractical? :p

Fantastic car. Plenty of room, well made, well thought out, grips like my arsehole in a gay bar, and goes better than my Dads 911.

But... it was very easy to dent(careless prats in car parks). It was as thirsty as hell(21mpg on average, and I don't drive too harshly). suffered from understeer, and generally lacked any feel. From day 2, I was disappointed. I'd gone from a 18 year old Peugeot 205 1.9GTi to a 1998 Subaru Impreza - costing more than ten times as much, and I was disappointed. The 205 was a far better drivers car - obviously, not as fast, and it didn't have the same level of grip. But.... underneath the performance differences, the 205 was a much, much more exciting vehicle to drive.

So, I sold the Impreza after owning it for 3 months. Bought a motorbike, did my test, and have been laughing ever since :). 100mph in under 10s, a consistent 42mpg - more on a run, and the constant smell of nature and fresh air in my face.

All cars are crap. Some are very good, but they're like listening to music with a mattress in front of the speakers in comparison to a motorbike :).

Edit - bunged a couple of pictures one. I miss the way it looked - aggressively brutal, yet somehow beautiful - but really, the only thing I miss is the noise. Mine had a P1 backbox fitted and it was the nicest sounding car I've ever had. Didn't realise just how nice until the new buyer drove it up the road from me :(.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Have to be a McLaren-Mercedes SLR in black

cmc045f.jpg

You mean silver.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    13.7 quarter? Impressive! Some guy near me has one, sitting next to a '77 Trans Am. Its amazing to think it could be that quick!

*hotwires*
  • Options
    All cars are crap. Some are very good, but they're like listening to music with a mattress in front of the speakers in comparison to a motorbike :).

Maybe... but at least there is less deathrisk! And... there are cars that do those speeds. It's jsut they do 0.25 mpg, which makes them far far mor expensive. I've always wanted a Bike. Parents say no though. Maybe later in life. My current plan is to own a V8 Capri. Obviously, not straight off. I'll probs grab a 1.6, cheap as hell now. And just up it until I can afford a V8... yay. Then fit a blower!

I know 'bout Imprezas, I worked on them during Work Experience. :D T'was fun.
  • Options
    ^It isn't about the speed, whether we're talking cars or bikes. You get the speed, and then realise just how much more important other things are - thinking of speed is a battle you'll never, ever win - because you get used to it. Even my bike doesn't feel fast now - don't get me wrong, it never feels slow. It just doesn't give the same sense of speed that it did when I first got it :).

That was the real beauty of the 205 - it'd do 130mph, which is plenty fast enough. But you could drive down a good A/B road at 70-90mph and feel like you're the king of the road. Everything came together at that speed, and it wasn't fast enough to lose your licence - and the fear of death was far less than taking the same road at 130mph in the Scooby, which is how fast I had to go to get the same thrills.
  • Options
    ^It isn't about the speed, whether we're talking cars or bikes. You get the speed, and then realise just how much more important other things are - thinking of speed is a battle you'll never, ever win - because you get used to it. Even my bike doesn't feel fast now - don't get me wrong, it never feels slow. It just doesn't give the same sense of speed that it did when I first got it :).

That was the real beauty of the 205 - it'd do 130mph, which is plenty fast enough. But you could drive down a good A/B road at 70-90mph and feel like you're the king of the road. Everything came together at that speed, and it wasn't fast enough to lose your licence - and the fear of death was far less than taking the same road at 130mph in the Scooby, which is how fast I had to go to get the same thrills.

Fair enough... or in other words, its the feeling of speed, the thrill factor... Raw Speed is only useful on a track or strip anyway, I suppose. You need a car that'll be fun everyday, and liven up the drive to work I guess... and a bike must be great for that!
  • Options
    ive argued with my parents for years about getting a motorbike .. then my cousin died in a motorbike accident last october .. kinda put me off :(

i'd still love one though
  • Options
    You mean silver.
    Or possibly one that isn't a scale model. (I've seen the Real Thing in Silver at Motorshow, sexy beast!)

Ultimatley, as far as I am concerned, this still pisses on everything. Just for doing over 204mph in '69. Some say it can hit 214... except drivers usually bottle out first. It's hardly what one would call "Stable" as you can guess.

And it simply wins for a 6ft spoiler. Imagine hitting a pidgeon with it... SLICE!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Fair enough... or in other words, its the feeling of speed, the thrill factor... Raw Speed is only useful on a track or strip anyway, I suppose. You need a car that'll be fun everyday, and liven up the drive to work I guess... and a bike must be great for that!

Bikes appeal to me on so many levels - you feel so much closer to everything - the road, the birds, the fields... everything. You don't really get stuck in traffic, I pay £60 per year road tax, and £190 insurance. Everyone thinks that you get wet and cold, but you don't - get the right gear and use it every time you're on the bike, and you'll stay warm, be completely waterproof, and have need for a coat when you pop into town. Heck, your helmet can stay on and eliminate the need to an umbrealla or hood ;). Parking is a doddle, and almost always free. Only downsides are you'll struggle to take girls out(good job I'm single!!), the actions of other road users directly affect the chances of you getting home in one piece, rather than just having a few dents on a car.

Every journey is interesting, servicing is an absolute doddle, and generally cheap, and you can make maximum progress without being stupid about it - which is always handy! :)

Biking is definately for me, it either suits you or it doesn't. To me, a mild summers day and the open road seal the deal. Just hop on and take off to Scotland or Wales, it's great :).
    z01 wrote:
    ive argued with my parents for years about getting a motorbike .. then my cousin died in a motorbike accident last october .. kinda put me off :(

i'd still love one though

My Dad has had motorcycles for much of his life, though only as a second form of transport. I've known him come off three times - it didn't bother me at all, as I wasn't bothered about having a bike when I was younger. The thought had always been nagging away at me when the weather was nice, but I wasn't fussed enough to do anything about it.

Then, after 7-8 years on the road without being caught speeding or being in an accident, I figured I had enough sense and experience to justify giving it a go. :)

My Dads older brother died on his bike years ago, when my Dad was 5. These things do happen, though the more you see of the road, the more you(well, I...) tend to realise that the statistics tend to be fair-weather-riders who daren't go out in the rain. They pass the test and little else - when riding, I see much more of the road than when driving. I'm anticipating every move that could be made, I'm double checking everything - you may be more vulnerable on a bike, but you can also anticipate so much more than you would when in a car.

To me, people either get on a bike and do it, or get off again. Doesn't matter what happens to those around you, or what they tell you to do - you either know if it's for you or not. If it isn't, then fair enough - get a comfy car, with a decent stereo, and a decent sized boot. If it is you, then you should know that you'd be fat safer in a car, and you have a real risk of being dead by the end of the day. But it's great fun, incredibly entertaining, and worth every minute :).

Better to die with a smile having done what you want, than be 95 and never known what adrenaline is ;).
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    'S a Challenger mate.
    *squints*

Could swear it says Charger on the grill.

*reads filename*

Bugger.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Or possibly one that isn't a scale model. (I've seen the Real Thing in Silver at Motorshow, sexy beast!)

Ultimatley, as far as I am concerned, this still pisses on everything. Just for doing over 204mph in '69. Some say it can hit 214... except drivers usually bottle out first. It's hardly what one would call "Stable" as you can guess.

And it simply wins for a 6ft spoiler. Imagine hitting a pidgeon with it... SLICE!

Mmmmmm downforce... :yum: