Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how long before 'offensive' art is banned

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
like say music

i can see it within a year or 2

the running man is gonna true i tell thee

Comments

• Options
    listen to Joes Garage :yes:
  • Options
    Just look at the furore over the homophobic Jamaican artists last year. So it begins...
  • Options
    IIRC, in (or near) one of the local bus stations in Plymouth, they're thinking of removing a piece of 'art' because it's considered offensive - it's basically a man trying to light some dynamite or something. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4733908.stm
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Always Supprised Nazi Rock and Metal are not banned. But good! It's quite good :D
  • Options
    They say true artists "suffer" in the pursuit of their art. With regard to James Blunt I think its the poor listeners who suffer, he should be banned. He is to music what Henman is to tennis, a wimp!

Bring on the Ramones I say! "The KKK took my baby away ......."
  • Options
    it wont be too long before its banned,along with everything else....freedom of speech within ten years i rekon.
  • Options
    i've just read about morrisey of the smiths being interviewed by british and american inteligence services cos he has been speaking out against bush and the war in iraq.
    scary.
  • Options
    i've just read about morrisey of the smiths being interviewed by british and american inteligence services cos he has been speaking out against bush and the war in iraq.
    scary.
    agreed....the silent enemy closes its net a little more.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    agreed....the silent enemy closes its net a little more.
    it's not realy as if morrisey has much more influence than joe bloggs as well.
  • Options
    it's not realy as if morrisey has much more influence than joe bloggs as well.
    well yea,its a paranoid super state imo....the yanks have alot to answer for.
  • Options
    I find people swearing offensive but you dont see me lobbying my MP to have it banned. Having said that, there is a law against it (Antisocial behaviour or something?)

I think it depends. Look at the danish cartoons. They might be freedom of thought or freedom of speech - but they obviously did offend a lot of people. Whether they should be banned is a cotroversial debate for lots of reasons, and I would prefer that people would recognise when they are doing something potentially offensive and make sure to either not publish it (the danish cartoonist did apologise, so evidently didnt realise the scale of the offense that would be caused) or give an explanation behind its meaning, as the painter above has, rather than just leave it like that.

Art is a very powerful medium of expression, and you can throw your expression in people's faces fairly easily - I could put a picture on my livejournal or even on here and lots of people would see it. But there is so much scope for misinterpretation I think art can be 'dangerous' to some extent.

If there was obviously racist / sexist / hateful 'art' up somewhere very public, do you think it should stay there or be removed?
  • Options
    Look at the danish cartoons. ?
    but the danish cartoons were not seen as offensive when they were first published last year in the context of discussing how islam is percieved in the west.
    they only became offensive long after ...when they were taken out of context by some islamic radicals with the sole agenda of causing serious problems.
  • Options
    We've lost Freedom of speech in the UK already guys! It's just oging to get more extreme losses until its to late! Action must be taken!
  • Options
    the last thing to go will probably be the internet.
    cos as long as we can sit in comfort discussing these things ...we will be slowly aneasthetizing ourselves into believing we are free.
  • Options
    but the danish cartoons were not seen as offensive when they were first published last year in the context of discussing how islam is percieved in the west.
    they only became offensive long after ...when they were taken out of context by some islamic radicals with the sole agenda of causing serious problems.

Which is precisely what I mean when I say:
    me wrote:
    there is so much scope for misinterpretation I think art can be 'dangerous'

I mean, look at guns. They're not strictly dangerous, people can use them for sport, or whatever else, but they're banned because they can and are used as weapons. Now they're not a great comparitive example as guns by defintion are weapons were art is a medium of expression.

I dont want art banned by any means, but what do you do about the few who do use it as a 'weapon' so to speak? What about those few who use their tongues as weapons to attack people? We arrest people in the UK and can imprison them for inciting people to violence through just words. So should there be limitations on other forms of expressions as well?
  • Options

I mean, look at guns. They're not strictly dangerous, people can use them for sport, or whatever else, but they're banned because they can and are used as weapons. ?
    a bit off topic but ...i remember when ...hand guns and centre fire rifles were perfectly legal ...what ...ten years ago?
    the countryside people suddenly had all these guns taken off them ...with everyone ignoring the warnings.

make guns illegal ... and government looses control ...to the extent that law abiding people can't have them but criminals can.
    what happened?
    the streets have now filled up with guns ...all in the wrong hands.
  • Options
    GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE!
    Death kills people.

Gun control is good... but outright banning is a bit too far.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE!
    Death kills people.

Gun control is good... but outright banning is a bit too far.
    by being allowed to buy sell and own them ...we had gun control.
    making it all illegal ...means no gun control.
  • Options
    Who are the people most likely to rock up on your doorstep and behave in a manner that would lead to getting shot at?

Exactly.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Who are the people most likely to rock up on your doorstep and behave in a manner that would lead to getting shot at?

Exactly.

The Tax Man?
  • Options
    Tax man, building inspector, TV licence thief, >insert alphabet soup busybody here< all in all, some fucker you've never met and don't care for with a badge and strong desire to make you a better person through the use of force.

Your more likely to be injured, stolen from, harmed or harrassed by someone from the government than ANY other event or cause.
  • Options
    we are all gonna need guns soon,come the revolution!....i cant wait!....ha ha!
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    we are all gonna need guns soon,come the revolution!....i cant wait!....ha ha!
    You can Kill the Revolutionary! But never the Revolution!!!

Let's go now! ALL WITH ME!
  • Options
    Let's go now! ALL WITH ME

Oh for god's sake not more of you with weapons.

Can't you just put them down and let me get on with it?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    You can Kill the Revolutionary! But never the Revolution!!!

Let's go now! ALL WITH ME!
    YEA!!! lets fuck em up!........go go go!!
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

oh shut the fuck up!...ye pacefist bastard!
  • Options
    ha ha!
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Let you get on with what? Being ruled by a bunch of idiots? What folk don't get is... they won't go away, unless they are removed. Your washing up doesnt go away, does it?
  • Options
    sit back down ...you know we're all to comfortable for blood and guts to be spilled all over the shop.
    i find it quite scary to be honest just how many people the world over are picking up weapons and using them.
    are we heading for a new barbarism?
    man against man ...brother against brother?
  • Options
    How else do you propose we remove the Government? Wouldn't it be better if we had a REAL choice, if Democracy actually meant something? But it doesn't. And something needs to be done... before it is too late.

History is FULL of people ignoring things until they are too late. Let's not do it again, eh?