Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Crossing the Road

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I never really noticed this much back home but I have a lot up in Belfast. Ever notice how some people always wait till the light turns green before they cross. Even when there are no cars around or if you can cross the road easily without putting yourself in danger. I see a lot of people just standing there waiting for the signal to cross when they should just use their initiative and cross. Does anyone here do it and if so, why?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I cross regardles when there is a gap. Meh. I don't get waiting, unless ya are like, trying to teach your children to be safe or someshit.
  • Options
    But you neer know when a car's going to come zooming around the corner, do you?

I always wait until there's a red light/green man.
  • Options
    i wait till its the green man when i have lenny with me or if there is someone else with children waiting to cross, so as to set an example.
    I have to keep telling him, that even if other people cross when the man is red, he mustnt and those people are being dnagerous/naughty.
  • Options
    I usually wait, but if I'm on a silent road and can see clearly that nothing is approaching then I cross. You do feel a bit daft standing there when the road's empty.

On busier roads I wait more often, though.
  • Options
    I cross when ever there is a space really lol not rocket science :p
  • Options
    i wait till its the green man when i have lenny with me or if there is someone else with children waiting to cross, so as to set an example.
    I have to keep telling him, that even if other people cross when the man is red, he mustnt and those people are being dnagerous/naughty.
    :yes: This is really good as small children can't judge it.
  • Options
    I wait, even if both kids are in the pushchair cos it's not just my life I'm putting at risk. :yes:
  • Options
    i think it's good to wait 'cause you never know if someone might come speeding out of nowhere.

however i'm quite impatient and don't tend to do this...! i tend to know at the big crossings where i'm at uni where the cars are going to come from next/when they're going red etc.
  • Options
    I almost hit the tram the other day. Scared the shits out of me.

I usually just cross the road if it's clear.
  • Options
    i think it's good to wait 'cause you never know if someone might come speeding out of nowhere.

Yeh but that's if you're unsure what's going on.

I see people waiting when the road is totally clear and you just wanna slap them. I'm impatient myself. Must get from point A to point B in fastest time possible.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yeh but that's if you're unsure what's going on.

I see people waiting when the road is totally clear and you just wanna slap them. I'm impatient myself. Must get from point A to point B in fastest time possible.

i never said i did it. :p

i always feel quite umm..what's the word when i've crossed the road and gone about 10miles down the street and they're still waiting for the green man!

course when i have kids and what not i'll be more sensible.
  • Options
    I wait, because if there's kids around, I should set an example, or help to set an example. but also because I've pushed the button, so I feel like it's good manners to be there when the lights change, I've held someone else up needlessly otherwise.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I wait, because if there's kids around, I should set an example, or help to set an example. but also because I've pushed the button, so I feel like it's good manners to be there when the lights change, I've held someone else up needlessly otherwise.

I knew you were on of those people. I could tell before I even read the post.
  • Options
    I bet...
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I've held someone else up needlessly otherwise.

not like you did it on purpose!

anyway chances are someone else will come along and cross while it's still green.
  • Options
    not like you did it on purpose!

anyway chances are someone else will come along and cross while it's still green.
    No, course not, I just know that when i drive and I sit at the crossing at a red light and there's no-one there, I've wondered why they bothered to push the button if it was going to be that easy to cross.
  • Options
    didn't you ever used to just press the button as you walked past them when you were younger? bet turlough still does it... ;)

it annoys me when i see people doing it now; well since i've been driving.
  • Options
    Erm, probably, I was a nasty little brat when I was a kid.
  • Options
    I still do it sometimes lol.

When I was younger I used to just press everyone I saw and walk on.
  • Options
    Haha. I press the button... then I wait... nothing happens and there is no traffic. I cross. I have made it across, and am walking away. A car comes. The light goes red and beeps.

Those things are fucking shit.
  • Options
    I always wait till there is a big big gap or it tells you to cross, then i look both wways like twice then i walk very fast across becasue I have this unnaural fear that I"m going to get hit by a car.
  • Options
    Depends where i am i suppose, on quieter raods, or where you can clearly see traffic then i tend to leg it across when theres a gap..... but in busier areas im more careful... also depends on how much of a rush I'm in... it shouldn't but it does :p
  • Options
    I've never really thought about it actually! Although I do remember there being a huge fight between me and my sisters about who got to push the button when we were out as a family when we were small. There was the same fight about who got to knock on Grandma's door when we went to see her, and over who got to sit in the front seat of the car when my dad wasn't with us, and who got served tea first. Ah, childhood!
  • Options
    I wait, sometimes complete strangers look at you like you're a loser but it makes no difference to them if I'm roadkill. My old bestfriend used to take the piss and call me a chicken then a year later she got knocked down by a car and broke her leg. I dont take risks like dat.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    I wait, sometimes complete strangers look at you like you're a loser but it makes no difference to them if I'm roadkill. My old bestfriend used to take the piss and call me a chicken then a year later she got knocked down by a car and broke her leg. I dont take risks like dat.

gotta love karma
  • Options
    When I was 12 years old I saw a friend get hit by a van. She died three days later in Guy's Hospital. I still remember her piercing scream now, it went on for what seemed like ages. I am super cautious when I cross the road as a result of witnessing this. To the extent that if there is no lights then I find it really difficult to cross the road and sometimes walk way out the way to find lights.
  • Options
    I cross if it's safe, regardless of whether the light is red or green. Fact is that the little light makes not all that much difference.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I cross if it's safe, regardless of whether the light is red or green. Fact is that the little light makes not all that much difference.
    But if it is red for cars and you do end up getting hit by a car you can sue them and get a lot more money than if it were the other way around.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I knew you were on of those people. I could tell before I even read the post.

:lol:

I know what you mean, but i know what she means as well.

When I'm skunked up I'm conscious of small children following my example of sprinting across the road so I only cross when the only traffic is at least far off. Usually sprint across when no children are about though.

Old People are worst for it i've noticed.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Old People are worst for it i've noticed.

Obviously when you reach that age you don't give a shit if you die or not. They're fucking sucidal crossing, I swear! Number of times I've seen one just go right into traffic... nuts. They never get hit though!