Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Red Ken gets a month suspension

Ken has been suspended for a month after his comments to the Evening Standard journalist. What a joke! The comment would have been offensive if and only if Ken had known beforehand that the man was Jewish, which he clearly didnt.

Evening Standard - spit!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What was the comment he made?
  • Options
    An Evening Standard journalist was doing their usual trick of needlessly harrassing him, he had told him to go away a few times before then said 'You're like a concentration camp guard' (not exact words but jist).

It turned out that the journalist was Jewish and he got 'really offended' and wasnt in anyway pushed forward by his paper which has an obvious grudge against Ken.
  • Options
    Well i don't really think that comment is that bad compared to what he could have said to the guy, whether he knew he was jewish or not.

Then again, who the fuck cares! Red Ken is a twat anyway! lol
  • Options
    The irony of a journalist working for Associated Newspapers being offended by alleged anti-semitic comments is supreme. He should have researched the company's distinguished history a little better before joining :rolleyes:

An extract from Livingstone's fantastic statement last year when the non-story broke out:
    To the Daily Mail group I say that no-one in Britain is less qualified than they to complain about anti-Semitism.

Their papers were not, as some have reported, guilty of "a brief flirtation" with Adolf Hitler in the l930s.

In truth these papers were the leading advocates of anti-Semitism in Britain for half a century.

Beginning a hundred years ago with their campaign to stop Jewish refugees fleeing to Britain from Russia they carried on right the way through the rise of Hitler and even after the start of World War II still felt free to peddle the lie that Germany's Jews had brought the holocaust upon themselves.

I have set out in detail the record of the Daily Mail group in my formal response to the London Assembly.

Whilst it is true the Mail group no longer smears Jews as bringing crime and disease to the UK it is only because they have moved on.

After a decade of pandering to racism against our citizens of Black and Irish origin they have moved on and now describe asylum seekers and Muslims in similar terms.

For the Mail group the victims may change but the intolerance, hatred and fear pervade every issue of the papers.

The statement in full
  • Options
    How is calling someone a concentration camp guard anti-jewish though? Its kind of like a general insult, nobody wants to be called a concentration camp guard, but I'm not sure it has specific jewish tones to it, compared to how you could insult someone.
  • Options
    To call an Evening Standard reporter a concentration camp guard is an insult to concentration camp guards everywhere.
  • Options
    This doesn't seem very democratic - a mayor who was directly elected is being removed from office by the Adjucation Panel of England, who were appointed by the Lord Chancellor.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    This doesn't seem very democratic - a mayor who was directly elected is being removed from office by the Adjucation Panel of England, who were appointed by the Lord Chancellor.

who was appointed by an elected PM
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

And where did that PM get elected? Not in London thats for sure.
  • Options
    so london shouldnt be controlled by any uk law, as all but a small handfull of MP's were not elected by london citizens?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    so london shouldnt be controlled by any uk law, as all but a small handfull of MP's were not elected by london citizens?

No, the Mayor shouldnt be punished for expressing his opinion by people who have no democratic mandate from London. This isnt an issue of him breaking the law, its an issue of his views and opinions, which is surely only the business of the electorate in London.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

I don't think Blair's mandate extends to messing around in municipal London politics - it was Londoners alone who voted for their mayor and it shouldn't be up to some panel appointed by an appointee to remove him.

If the First Minister of the Scottish or Welsh Parliaments was removed by an appointed panel there'd be a huge outcry, and there's more people in London than in Scotland and Wales put together so I'm surprised there's not similar outrage here.
  • Options
    The Adjudication Panel for England is an independent tribunal established by this government a few years ago that investigates and judges on matters of misconduct by local authority figures.

I don’t really have a strong opinion on this decision, there are other instances of misconduct however by Ken that are far more offensive. I think it’s quite disgusting for a Mayor of London who is supposedly representing all Londoners – including women, gays and Jews to invite a fundamentalist Muslim cleric to London – al Qaradawi. (al-Qaradawi has advocated beating up women, stoning gay people and blowing up children. Rather confusing I must say that a left wing mayor has no qualms about sharing a platform with the Muslim equivalent of Nick Griffin).

Excellent piece from a little while back on London’s twat of a mayor here.
  • Options
    I've made my views clear that Livingstone is an odious piece of shit and the comment was way out of order (and once he was told the reporter was Jewish he refused to backtrack or apologise).

That said if we want him out we should vote him out. I have grave concerns about an unlected body being able to suspend elected politicians, except in cases where they have been convicted of a criminal offence.
  • Options
    Shame on the adjudication panel.

I wonder if had the journalist been disabled or homosexual this story would have been blown out of proportion in such a way. Shame on the journalist too.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    That said if we want him out we should vote him out. I have grave concerns about an unlected body being able to suspend elected politicians, except in cases where they have been convicted of a criminal offence.

Although I’m sure many – including Ken himself would defend – if not urge the Adjudication Panel for England to suspend a local councillor for example who made insulting remarks about Muslims.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Shame on the adjudication panel.

I wonder if had the journalist been disabled or homosexual this story would have been blown out of proportion in such a way. Shame on the journalist too.

Ken would never have invited an extreme anti-Muslim speaker to London. Yet he had no doubts about inviting al-Qaradawi – an anti-Semitic homophobe that condones domestic violence.

His behaviour towards the Evening Standard reporter together with his sharing a platform with an anti-Semite quite understandably offended many Londoners.

It’s utter nonsense to claim that had Ken shown the same level of disrespect to the black or Muslim community that there would not have been equal, if not more criticism of him.
  • Options
    His behaviour towards the Evening Standard reporter together with his sharing a platform with an anti-Semite quite understandably offended many Londoners.
    Did it? I've spoken with a couple of Jewish people since about the subject and they both said they couldn't give a toss.

The incident was blown out of all proportion on purpose by the Daily Mail Group of course- all the more ironic given the company's long history of anti-semitism (if no longer around today), prejudice, hatred, bigotry and racism.
  • Options
    Although I’m sure many – including Ken himself would defend – if not urge the Adjudication Panel for England to suspend a local councillor for example who made insulting remarks about Muslims.

He possibly would - perhaps I should have referred to Ken as an odious hypocritical piece of shit. It doesn't change that if he's to be suspended/got rid off it should be through the ballot box unless he was convicted of a crime
  • Options
    His behaviour towards the Evening Standard reporter.
    What behaviour is that then? Making an off the cuff remark about aggressive questioning late at night after a party?
  • Options
    The party in question being some kind of gay rights occasion if memory serves. Lest the Daily Mail group misses a chance to out somebody and display again their thinly-disguised homophobia.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Did it? I've spoken with a couple of Jewish people since about the subject and they both said they couldn't give a toss.

Most Jewish Londoners were offended that the Mayor of London thought it perfectly acceptable to share a platform with Islamofascist al-Qaradawi. (Although a coalition of gays, lesbians, feminists, Hindus, secularists and democracy activists as well as Jews opposed Ken on that).

And even Ken himself admitted that his later Nazi remark was offensive. The reporter deserved a simple apology.
    Aladdin wrote:
    The incident was blown out of all proportion on purpose by the Daily Mail Group of course- all the more ironic given the company's long history of anti-semitism (if no longer around today), prejudice, hatred, bigotry and racism.

As far as I know when Lord Rothermere took control of the Daily Mail under his leadership the newspaper supported Oswald Mosley and sympathised with Nazism/Fascism – however Lord Rothermere no longer controls the Daily Mail and has been dead for decades. There are many, a huge number actually of criticisms that you can direct towards the Daily Mail group although I think it’s a bit unfair to censure the group for the actions of one person in charge of the newspaper over seventy years ago. There’s not really any connection between Lord Rothermere and the beliefs and actions of the group today. Should we boycott companies that exist today – who profited from the crimes of Nazi Germany? Should we criticise the present German government because a previous Nazi German government carried out awful atrocities? To both of these questions, I would say no. I don’t see the purpose in boycotting German pharmaceutical companies or Swiss banks. (Not that I can afford to use the latter).

Clearly, from your beliefs towards the Daily Mail you would disagree with me on German pharmaceutical companies and Swiss banks - unless you're some kind of hypocrite.
  • Options
    Interestingly btw Aladdin you defended the prosecution of David Irving because he had broken Austrian law. Is it really that different with Ken? He signed a code of conduct – as all people in local government do and under English law if perceived to breach this he therefore had to face an adjudication panel. Now on one hand you could say that this code of conduct shouldn’t exist – but surely that’s a separate issue? Why did Ken sign the code, he could have made a fuss earlier on if it was a massive problem to him?

What would your opinion be of say hypothetically a Conservative member of the London assembly who faced the same fate of Ken from the adjudications panel for causing offence to the Muslim community? I know for sure Ken would be the first to praise the panel’s decision if that happened.

If Ken had done the reasonable thing and apologised like his Deputy Nicky Gavron and others advised him to this could have all been avoided. I don’t condone Adjudication Panel’s decision but I can’t say I have any sympathy whatsoever for Ken.
  • Options
    Regardless of what you might think about Ken Livingstone, his statement about the Daily Mail group was 100% spot on- read the extract I posted earlier on this thread.

As Livingstone said it certainly wasn't a "brief flirtation" with Nazism and/or fascism. It was far longer than that. And the prejudice, bigotry and sometimes hatred towards minority races has never dissapeared. The Jews ceased to be a target of the paper's vile campaign many years ago, for sure... but only to be replaced by other minorities.

To take lectures from the Daily Mail group about offending other races/religions/groups is rather like taking lectures in humanity from Genghis Khan.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    A fucking joke. Ken was right, the Journo should just STFU. What a bastard. Ken didn't know, and what a load of BS. The Journo was anyway, wouldn't leave ken alone. Political Correctness BS typical.

Poor Ken.
  • Options
    Just another Londoner.

Although the reporter does sound like a whinging bastard.
  • Options
    Be nice if a lot of journalists could get suspended for the things they say in papers, etc

A lot of them will make up anything or slant the truth to sell a few more papers.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Be nice if a lot of journalists could get suspended for the things they say in papers, etc

A lot of them will make up anything or slant the truth to sell a few more papers.
    #
    That's journalism! Thats the general idea of it.
  • Options
    I read today the transcript of the actual conversation. That there was an investigation over it, let alone Livingstone being suspended for it, is fucking ludicrous.
  • Options
    I like Red Ken. I vote for him. He has done a lot to improve the lives of Londoners given the little power that he actually has.

If the Mayor of any other city or town made this type of remark nobody would notice.