Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Call centres and customers

When you pick up the phone, and discover that the caller is someone from a call centre of a large company, how do you react? Do you shout "oh, fuck off and pester someone else!" over the line? Or are you more polite than that?

Answering my own question, I've definitely not told anyone from a call centre to "fuck off". I've never verbally abused anyone from a call centre. Basically, I think of it as similar to the abuse I got from drunks at my job last year. It's not pleasant to tolerate, which is why I don't dish it out to them. I was reading an online article about this earlier and it got me thinking about it again.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i just say 'no thank you, bye' and put the phone down.

i don't want to be rude to them, cause i know they're just doing their job, but on the other hand i don't want to waste 10 minutes of my life listening to their inane scripted drivel.
  • Options
    i used to work in a call centre and you do get a lot of people just shout at you to basically foad. its not very nice but at the same time its funny how stupid these people are. if someone ever did that we would pass their number around the whole company getting everyone to call it and just annoy the person on the other end.
    The most annoying thing possible when you work in a call centre is when somebody listens to your entire script sounding interested then when it comes to the sell they just say a sharp 'no thanks' and put the phone down.
  • Options
    i have recently, because the same firm keep riniging me back, and wont provide a contact number, even for the call centre they are calling from, nevermind the company they are selling stuff for, plus i keep on getting cold dialled by them, ie, if i dont pick up quick enough, they put down on me, or sometimes if i answer and all of their assistants are busy, it just cuts down on me
  • Options
    I'm always fairly nice to them. My dad told one to fuck off once though, which I thought was a little harsh, until they rang back to argue with him about whether they were allowed to ring his house or not, and then they deserved all they got.
  • Options
    I dont verbally abuse them...

although I do like to play games and piss about sometimes...

If I cant be bothered though, I just say no thanks and hang up!

I respect that they are just doing a job, although can be frustrating when they call while your eating your dinner!
  • Options
    I try not to be too rude, as I have worked in a call centre and although its nothing personal its not nice to be sworn at. We dont get many here, as we are registered with the telephone preference service so shouldnt have any. If I do get any, I tell them we are registered, and ask how they got my number as they shouldnt be calling. That shuts them up normally. If not, I tell them its a rented house as they are usually after the homeowner (it is rented, I dont lie to them).
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    i used to work in a call centre and you do get a lot of people just shout at you to basically foad. its not very nice but at the same time its funny how stupid these people are. if someone ever did that we would pass their number around the whole company getting everyone to call it and just annoy the person on the other end.
    The most annoying thing possible when you work in a call centre is when somebody listens to your entire script sounding interested then when it comes to the sell they just say a sharp 'no thanks' and put the phone down.

Used to work in one as well. Such a pain in the ass job I think. But I hate talking on the phone so...

But I aint more patient or polite when they call me for it tho.
  • Options
    icey wrote:

Hehe, that's what I do :lol:
  • Options
    I just put the phone down.
  • Options
    We have an unlisted number so we don't get them :)

I always find it funny though the people that get pissed off and think they are being mean to them. I've known a couple people that work in them and they look foward to those calls as it makes their day interesting. So when you think your mean, your really just making their day. They'd always share their "this guy was a total spaz" stories and we'd all laugh lots.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    So when you think your mean, your really just making their day.

That could be interesting! :thumb:

I might fly off the handle at the next one that rings, then ask if it made his / her day!!
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    although can be frustrating when they call while your eating your dinner!

:yes: :yes: :yes:
  • Options
    One just called like 10secs ago!! Unbelieveable!!
  • Options
    One just called like 10secs ago!! Unbelieveable!!

and how did you handle it? Rude or polite? .... did you make thier day?
  • Options
    They need jobs too. Would you rather them sponge off the... where you sponge off from there?
  • Options
    i have a friend who keeps them on the phone for about half an hour just giving random info, which is quite funny, but it is quite harsh coz i have to do cold calling sometimes which isnt nice when people do it to you :no:
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    I respect that they are just doing a job, although can be frustrating when they call while your eating your dinner!

Not just when you're eating you dinner! I'm currently getting annoyed with communication companies phoning my mobile telling me i'm pre-approved for their special deals etc etc...and they don't take no for an answer. I appreciate they are doing their job but when i say no it does not mean please pester me some more!! :yeees:
  • Options
    I'm currently getting annoyed with communication companies phoning my mobile telling me i'm pre-approved for their special deals etc etc...

Yeah, when my contract was coming up for renewal I was getting a phone call nearly every day on my mobile from companys wanting me to get a new contract with them....

I just stopped answering private numbers for a while after that, got pissed off with it!
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    and how did you handle it? Rude or polite? .... did you make thier day?

Someone else answered. (politely).
  • Options
    *clatter*
  • Options
    *clatter*
    ??
  • Options
    i feel bad saying no right away.. dont know why! so i always let them go on for a little bit before saying no. its like people who stop you in the street and ask you things or want you to do a survey, i can never just be like no thanks, i always let them go on for a while.
  • Options
    ??

The sound of the phone going back on the hook, I expect.
  • Options
    The sound of the phone going back on the hook, I expect.

I reckon. But My phone just goes beep.
  • Options
    I just go no thnaks and hang up, luckily we dont get too many, I hate getting them at work.
  • Options
    I got a really weird one the other week.. I picked up my mobile and they whispered something and i was like 'sorry, i can't hear you' .. and then they held up the phone to the radio and it happened to be the same radio show i what listening to at the time.. then they hung up. I thought it must have been someone i know but I called it back and it was the call centre for some media company.. and i don't know anybody who works there.. :nervous:
  • Options
    i'm polite until they wont take no for an answer
  • Options
    I just hang up, then say 'oh go away!'. They annoy me!
  • Options
    KinkyBoots wrote:
    I just hang up, then say 'oh go away!'. They annoy me!
    You say 'oh go away' after you hang up?
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm weird like that :p