Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is this a good spec PC for the money?

JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
A simple Yes/No this one. Need to buy a new PC sharpish. Have seen this for sale with the same company I bought my last PC from, called cube247, who've had some good reviews, plus the last PC was too notch. They have this going for £558.99. What does everyone reckon?

- Pentium 4 3.2GHz 64bit
- 1GB Corsair DDR400 Ram
- 120GB Seagate HD + 80GB Seagate HD
- ATI Deluxe Motherboard
- 16x48 DVD CD ROM Drive
- NEC ND3540 DVD ReWriter
- Floppy Drive
- ATI Radeon x300 PCI-Xpress 128MB Graphics
- 5.1 Surround Sound
- 8x USB2 ports
- Firewire
- 10/100 LAN card
- 7 in 1 Card Reader

To me it seems like a bargain, what does everyone reckon?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds good to me :thumb:
  • Options
    Personaly I hate Intel processor so would say go and build yourself a AMD X2 for that price (128bit)...

But otherwise the specs for the price are more than alright.
  • Options
    Me too, Amd fan all the way :D
  • Options
    Personaly I hate Intel processor so would say go and build yourself a AMD X2 for that price (128bit)...

But otherwise the specs for the price are more than alright.
    I dont have the ability to build it myself so im taking what they are offering. They dont have double AMD spec.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    I dont have the ability to build it myself so im taking what they are offering. They dont have double AMD spec.

Fair enough. It is still a good offer.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:

It really isn't hard to build a PC, read around and you'll see how easy it actually is.

I agree with what's been said about Intel, try and go with AMD. Also what the heck is that motherboard, you don't want one of those, this is where they make their profit, by selling you very cheap parts for an exceptional price! Also never heard of that graphics card and I wouldn't expect alot from it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    S'allright, and PC's are easy to build. Supprisingly so.

Only weak point of that one is the GFX card really. Is there an option for a better one?
  • Options
    Jamie LJamie L Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    Apart from the CPU (Intel) it looks fine. What I don't get is WTF is with 8 USB ports? Who on earth is going to use 8?

:confused:
  • Options
    Jamie L wrote:
    Apart from the CPU (Intel) it looks fine. What I don't get is WTF is with 8 USB ports? Who on earth is going to use 8?

8 is now quite common and not that many at all...

Let's say you have a printer, a scanner, a digital camera, a mp3 player, a USB keyboard and mouse and a webcam, well you are already at 7 USB port use.

Add to that a joystick, a joypad...
  • Options
    I think they're trying to get rid of different types of ports, like for the mouse / keyboard etc. and so new motherboards have more USB ports. Maybe in the future the monitor will go into it as well?

JsT, do you have have any computer geek mates? Might be worth going over the figures. I would do it except Im realllllllllllly tired atm. I'm off to bed. If I get a chance I'll have a look tomorrow, but yea, if you think it's a good deal then go for it :). What will you be needing it for anyway?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    S'allright, and PC's are easy to build. Supprisingly so.

Only weak point of that one is the GFX card really. Is there an option for a better one?
    They have an ATI sapphire 512mb for an extra £100, not really a big gamer so dont need too much graphical power.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    They have an ATI sapphire 512mb for an extra £100, not really a big gamer so dont need too much graphical power.
    Fair enough then. It's damn good for the cash, for a prebuilt rig, as long as you don't want to do much gaming.

Go fer it, if you aren't building one yourself! It's a powerful rig.
  • Options
    Shyboy - sadly no real PC literate mates sadly, otherwise I would try and con one of them! Its mainly gonna be used for multitasking, browsing and the like, nothing really super special; maybe a few games (Nothing more stressful than Champ Man!) I think I'm gonna buy it over the weekend I think once I've got my pennies sorted!
  • Options
    well i currently use 4 usb ports permanently all the time, which are at the back of the casing, and i have two at the front, which one is often in use for an external usb hdd (which i do switch off from time to time), and then i have a spare port for using my phone with, or my digital camera, or my ipod shuffle etc

so 8 really isnt that big a number at all
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    well i currently use 4 usb ports permanently all the time, which are at the back of the casing, and i have two at the front, which one is often in use for an external usb hdd (which i do switch off from time to time), and then i have a spare port for using my phone with, or my digital camera, or my ipod shuffle etc

so 8 really isnt that big a number at all

I know. I thought it was... but my mouse and KB are USB, add my joystick, mp3, irda, webcam...

It's amazing how quick the bastards get used up! At least I can add in 4 more if I please... making it 10 USB!
  • Options
    just going to get my parents monitor, its got a built in 4port usb hub on it, which is nice
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    just going to get my parents monitor, its got a built in 4port usb hub on it, which is nice

4 Port USB hub IN a monitor? Thats mad! But rather awesome.

Oh yes. I forgot my keyboard had a built in USB hub... sadly unpowered, so only for devices that either have their own power or don't draw alot, so 2 more in the keyboard.

I want that monitor now though.
  • Options
    Jamie L wrote:

i have broadband connection, pendrive, external hdd, printer, external dvdrw, cable for my mp3 player and cable for my camera connected to mine.
  • Options
    If you've used them before and were satisfied, then go for it :) does it come with a monitor and stuff as well?
  • Options
    If you've used them before and were satisfied, then go for it :) does it come with a monitor and stuff as well?
    Nah, I've got all that anyway.
  • Options
    Sounds like a very decent deal to me. And if you plan on burning DVDs that NEC is good, I use it too (never had a single coaster either) ;)
  • Options
    Sounds like a very decent deal to me. And if you plan on burning DVDs that NEC is good, I use it too (never had a single coaster either) ;)
    Just bought it. I feel poor now.
  • Options
    Jamie L wrote:

I wish I ad 8 USB ports

got 2 printers, scanne, USB mouse, USB datcables, USB sound card and USB TV Card

8 is nothing

not sure about having two small Hard drives and 2 cd/DVD drives

depends if you want to do direct DVD to DVD copies and stuff like those.
  • Options
    Yeah, I could easily use 8 USB ports I think.

The PC is ok.

It's plus point is the memory. The motherboard would need more info exact model etc.

Why does it have two different sized hard drives? That's fairly pointless as you can't stripe them in RAID, so you'd just have two disks instead of one big fat one.

Graphics card is below par.

All the other bits look like standard stuff on the motherboard.

What's the spec of the power supply?

I'd consider any of the machines from overclockers as an alternative -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/full_systems.html

Check out the ""Titan" Pentium IV 630 'Prescott LGA775' 3.0GHz (800FSB) Hyper Threading DDR2 System (FS-000-OK) " for example - probably a tad more but quality throughout.

Edited because I just read that you already bought the other one. ....
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Just bought it. I feel poor now.

Nice one :thumb: Poor, but happy :D
  • Options
    Yeh that TITAN is very good for the price, quality throughout, JST go with this one! If it's not too late!
  • Options
    500w power supply. Getting it tommorow hopefully.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    Yeh that TITAN is very good for the price, quality throughout, JST go with this one! If it's not too late!

He just bought it!
  • Options
    He just bought it!

I think I would have cancelled but if that's the one for him, no problem.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Why does it have two different sized hard drives? That's fairly pointless as you can't stripe them in RAID, so you'd just have two disks instead of one big fat one.

I think it still runs faster than the one big fat one, because the speed is normally the same @ 7200rpm, and so if you've got two spinning at that rate they can find data faster. The problem being though that if you install something onto the one drive, then it wont have any increase in speed, unlike in RAID I think, where it splits it across both so it can have both the hard drives running for the same bit of info.

I think anyway.