Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I think I am evolving ... into a vegetarian.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe to you, but not to everybody.

Different issues hold different meanings to different people.

here here
  • Options
    Because we've evolved not to have to. It's the craving for meat, not the hunting itself, which is natural. Lions don't hunt if they're fed in a zoo either. They're natural born meat-eaters, not natural born hunters, same as humans.
    But we crave meat no more than we crave sweets. It's not something we need, it's a choice based on individual morals. You could crave puppy meat... Would you eat a cute little puppy, kill it yourself and skin it? It's just as edible as a less cute animal like a chicken.

And lions kept in a zoo are just as likely to kill a human if they stray in to their cage.
  • Options
    Why does the stupid "omfg you wouldnt eat a cute puppy or kitten wtf!!!111one" always come up in these sorts of discussions. People don't eat kittens and dogs because they don't have to. I'm sure if all the cows, pigs and sheep were wiped out tomorrow people might reconsider what meats they wanted to eat. Similarly, people don't hunt/prepare carcasses themselves because they don't have to. Fish are often sold as they are OMFG YOU WOULDNT SKIN AND GUT A FISH WOULD YOU???!?!?!?!?!?! well shock horror people do!
  • Options
    But you're not hunting animals if you have a burger king whoppa or whatever it's called these days.

That's not the point though.

I'm sure if I lived 10,000 years ago. I would be doing that.

Meat is an essential part of a good healthy diet. It's different than "sweets" moonrat. Who cares anyway, nature is rough, animals get killed by animals on a daily basis, no different than humans. We're just lucky to be at the top of the food chain that's all.

So I urge you, go out and buy a big burger king and enjoy! :yum:
  • Options
    But we crave meat no more than we crave sweets. It's not something we need, it's a choice based on individual morals. You could crave puppy meat... Would you eat a cute little puppy, kill it yourself and skin it? It's just as edible as a less cute animal like a chicken.

And lions kept in a zoo are just as likely to kill a human if they stray in to their cage.
    If I had to kill the animal myself, with my bare hands, then yes I would choose the puppy over the cow, because I'm not stupid enough to take on a cow (just like every other animal in the world). However, if I had a gun, I would choose the cow, because you get more meat out of it. There's also the issue that killing one adult cow has less impact on the species than killing the equivilant (in meat) number of puppies. Similarly, I would make my choice based on how many people I was feeding. No point putting in more effort required to kill and skin a cow if most of it will be going to waste.

As for the lion in the zoo, that is an entirely territorial thing. It wouldn't kill zoo keepers until it was full, it would kill any and every zoo keeper that came in it's cage, purely because it thinks that the zoo keeper would kill it if it didn't.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    Why does the stupid "omfg you wouldnt eat a cute puppy or kitten wtf!!!
    Then a lot of the same people are happy to use insect repellant without question. And I presume they don't eat them.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    That's not the point though.

I'm sure if I lived 10,000 years ago. I would be doing that.

Meat is an essential part of a good healthy diet. It's different than "sweets" moonrat. Who cares anyway, nature is rough, animals get killed by animals on a daily basis, no different than humans. We're just lucky to be at the top of the food chain that's all.

So I urge you, go out and buy a big burger king and enjoy! :yum:
    But it's not nature, it's consumerism, that's the point I'm making. People use the excuse of being a hunter ect... When we're not hunting.

A tiny amount of meat is 'good' for us, Burger King isn't.
  • Options
    Re the point about carnivores who wouldn't/couldn't kill animals for food. Does anyone refuse to use the services of a dentist, on the grounds that they could not do such job themselves?

Perhaps some people are squirmish and don't like the look of blood. That doesn't make them hypocrites for eating meat as far as I'm concerned. :confused:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Re the point about carnivores who wouldn't/couldn't kill animals for food. Does anyone refuse to use the services of a dentist, on the grounds that they could not do such job themselves?

Perhaps some people are squirmish and don't like the look of blood. That doesn't make them hypocrites for eating meat as far as I'm concerned. :confused:
    Going to the dentist is about health, eating meat is pleasure.
  • Options
    And what about vultures, hyenas, hell even male lions? None of them kill the animal themselves.
  • Options
    Going to the dentist is about health, eating meat is pleasure.

:confused:

It's a scientific fact that meat is essential for a good diet. It's not pleasure. My ancestors ate meat and so do I. And I don't give two shits what all those new age hippies think.
  • Options
    Its pleasure for me.
  • Options
    theres far more important issues in the world than eating meat, like say the problem of over fishing, and protecting certain endangered species from poaching etc

How can humane animal welfare and farming be less important than overfishing etc? Both are tragic. The problem is the 'method' of putting meat on your table - not the actual meat eating itself.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

It's a scientific fact that meat is essential for a good diet. It's not pleasure. My ancestors ate meat and so do I. And I don't give two shits what all those new age hippies think.

You can survive on a vegetarian diet if you eat right. We have so many options of what to eat, what supplements to take, what brand of beer we drink. It's not like we'll die without it. Besides... Only a very small portion is what we 'need',not a great big steak or tripple whoppa. No wonder there are so many obese people.

I'm not saying people aren't allowed to eat meat, or that they shouldn't. But the arguements I've given against other people is what I believe and why I (and other people might) choose to be vegetarian at this point in life. One of the (few) good things about our spoilt Western lifestyle is that we can choose what diet to live on, we don't see where our products come from and that means we can be selfish about our consumerism, myself included... Reguardless of the impact on the world around us.
    And what about vultures, hyenas, hell even male lions? None of them kill the animal themselves.

So now we're not hunters, we're scavengers?
  • Options
    Besides... Only a very small portion is what we 'need',not a great big steak or tripple whoppa. No wonder there are so many obese people.

I'm not saying people aren't allowed to eat meat, or that they shouldn't. But the arguements I've given against other people is what I believe and why I (and other people might) choose to be vegetarian at this point in life. One of the (few) good things about our spoilt Western lifestyle is that we can choose what diet to live on, we don't see where our products come from and that means we can be selfish about our consumerism, myself included... Reguardless of the impact on the world around us.

Fair enough I'll agree with that to a degree.

I just thought you were one of those condescending new-age tree hugging hippies that I really hate! You know the type.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Nope couldn't give a fuck tbh.

Humans have hunted animals since the beginning of their existence and meat has always been a major part of our diets (I know we can have non-meat diets aswell btw.) I'm not going to change my views just cos "I feel so sorry for the poor wee animals"

And that argument now convinces me never to donate my money to lost causes like African famine, earth quakes in Pakistan, poverty etc. They have had natural disasters/poverty for thousands of years so who are we to change the 'natural order' of things?
  • Options
    So now we're not hunters, we're scavengers?
    Well if a male lion is a scavenger.

Just out of interest, you ever killed and insect? Or would you now?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    And that argument now convinces me never to donate my money to lost causes like African famine, earth quakes in Pakistan, poverty etc. They have had natural disasters/poverty for thousands of years so who are we to change the 'natural order' of things?

What the fuck are you on about?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

I just thought you were one of those condescending new-age tree hugging hippies that I really hate! You know the type.

cartman8ws.gif
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

What the fuck are you on about?

Well, you said you couldn't give a fuck about the way animals are treated to get food on your table - or that is what your reply in relation to the thread implies.

I don't have anything against people eating meat - but its the method that affects me.
  • Options
    Eating meat in of itself isnt immoral, making sure an animal has a horrid life from start to finish just to make your burger 10p cheaper is immoral and nasty.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    cartman8ws.gif

So does having misgivings about how our meat is produced place me in the 'tree hugging' category?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Well, you said you couldn't give a fuck about the way animals are treated to get food on your table - or that is what your reply in relation to the thread implies.

I don't have anything against people eating meat - but its the method that affects me.

Well your statement was a non sequitur. It had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

How is not caring about natural disasters and not caring about animals even remotely similar?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Eating meat in of itself isnt immoral, making sure an animal has a horrid life from start to finish just to make your burger 10p cheaper is immoral and nasty.

AGREED!!!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Well your statement was a non sequitur. It had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

How is not caring about natural disasters and not caring about animals even remotely similar?

Well, if you don't give a fuck as to how your meat gets on your table, why should we give a fuck about anything .. ?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    So does having misgivings about how our meat is produced place me in the 'tree hugging' category?

It doesn't.

Saying we shouldn't eat meat full stop does.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Well, if you don't give a fuck as to how your meat gets on your table, why should we give a fuck about anything .. ?

Still not getting you mate...humans do give a fuck about lots of things. They also don't give a fuck about a lot of things. Comparing animal welfare with natural disasters is way off the mark though.
  • Options
    On the subject of different types of meat its the general Human idea that we only eat meat from Herbivors not carnivors, Pigs are the only exception in the western world I think, and their omnivors.

I prefer the Farmers market not everythings great, but somethings are lovely you can get realy tasty meat that you dont get in ASDA's.

My grandfather was a battry hen farmer, so sorry to say Im not realy bothered by animal wealfare, only as far as it effects the taste.
  • Options
    Well if a male lion is a scavenger.

Just out of interest, you ever killed and insect? Or would you now?
    For what purpose?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

A lot of "new-age tree hugging hippies" are actually very intelligent individuals.

Actually I've read PETA articles that are condescending and I thnk one of their campaigns is degrading to women...

There're nice and annoying people in all walks of life.