Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I think I am evolving ... into a vegetarian.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been considering turning vegetarian (at least, partially, for the time being as I adjust).

I have recently been growing more 'aware' of animal welfare in farming and given it some thought .... I cannot abide the thought of discarding any meat left on my plate after a meal when I know that a living animal has been slaughtered for this purpose. Throwing away its carcass just because I'm 'full' seems so disrespectful to its sacrifice ...

The other day, I was given some KFC chicken and I started to wonder how a huge company like that keeps its chickens and did a bit of a search on Google ... and found this :- http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.co.uk/ from the http://www.peta.org.uk/ site.

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=hillside

Now, I know that this anti-KFC site has its own political agenda and I don't want to come over all precious and sentimental - but I do worry that because humankind has scraped its way to the top of the evolutionary ladder that we feel we can keep our lesser co-habitants of the Earth in such appalling conditions to mass produce them as food for us ... and we are hardly deserving caretakers of the Earth anyway.

Have any other meat eaters started feeling any anxiety as to how their food is produced?

And are there any meat eaters on here that really don't give a shit ... ? Would you eat meat regardless of how its produced?

Comments

• Options
    Have any other meat eaters started feeling any anxiety as to how their food is produced?

Darn tooting.

I am more bothered about the chemical processes some of my "food" goes through than the fact that it's meat, tbh. Trans fats, aspartame and soy based oils, and a whole load of other stuff should be nowhere near the dinner table.

http://www.themeatrix.com/

Just for grins.
  • Options
    Hmmm ... I understand your concerns about additives but I feel that animal cruelty is the bigger crime. Just my view ....
  • Options
    It's up to you whether you want to become a vegetarian. It's a matter of personal opinion. If you believe that there is nothing wrong with eating meat so long as the animals in question are raised and killed in a humane manner, then there is no need to go veggie.

Try to buy your meat from reputed local butchers. Don't buy or eat products from large shops or fast food outlets where animals are likely to be kept in undesirable conditions and the food mass produced. Buy organic. And so on...
  • Options
    I like steak, so I'll stick to being a barbarian meat eater thanks.
  • Options
    I became vegetarian because of the environmental impact of the meat trade. I would eat a wild animal (although I'd rather that I killed it myself... I hate it when people who eat meat say they would not kill an animal), but don't really like to be a part of the mechanism that is fucking up the earth's resources. That and a wild animal is less likely to befull of chemicals.
  • Options
    I like steak, so I'll stick to being a barbarian meat eater thanks.

To be honest, I am partial to a bit of steak too ... as Alladin says, maybe I ought to shop at places where the welfare of the animal can be established ... but its definitely no more KFC for me ...
  • Options
    Hmmm ... I understand your concerns about additives but I feel that animal cruelty is the bigger crime. Just my view ....

Yeah sorry, I don't prescribe to the whole "animals have rights" view. I'm only interested in my food and the impact factory farming is having on my world.

You can go and be as cruel as you want to the little piggies, as long as I don't get poisoned I don't care.
    although I'd rather that I killed it myself... I hate it when people who eat meat say they would not kill an animal

Fishing and hunting are both great fun.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    yep me. i was vegetarian for years, then ate meat again, then tried being veggie again then went back to eating meat. hate the ethics of it, but love the taste. The concession i now make is to buy as much of my meat free-range or organic, as they have much more stringent guidelines on animal welfare and it avoids giving my money to companies that do factory farming.
  • Options
    A lot of people seem to be concerned about the conditions their meat is raised in, yet very few seem to care we are scrubbing the oceans totally clean of fish.
  • Options
    I do occasionally buy stuff that I dont know where it comes from, but I think if youre careful the majority of the time, then the odd slip up isnt much to feel guilty about.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    A lot of people seem to be concerned about the conditions their meat is raised in, yet very few seem to care we are scrubbing the oceans totally clean of fish.
    Because fish aren't cute.
  • Options
    cute_fish.jpg
  • Options
    KFC's are absolutely barbaric, I struggle to understand how anyone with a conscience could eat there anymore. I do think there are a lot of meat-eaters on here who don't give a shit, though. ;)

There's definitely a lot to be said for eating only free-range organic meat, and meat that's sourced locally so you know more about where it's come from and the likely treatement it's had (before and after death, if you know what I mean).

I'm a vegetarian though, and have been for almost a decade. You stop missing steak and the like very quickly, imo.
  • Options
    haha that fish is awesome!

What I meant is that people only seem to care about what animals are cute... I mean how many meat eaters would eat cat or dog?

Fish are cool, you can train them to do (very simply) tricks, lke coming to the surface of the water when a bell rings so they can be fed. They're also capable of feeling pain.
  • Options
    nemothemetracemae.jpg
    How dare you!
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I'm a vegetarian though, and have been for almost a decade. You stop missing steak and the like very quickly, imo.
    I didnt. I craved it big time, thats why i went back to eating meat again the 2nd time after 6months or so.
  • Options
    What I meant is that people only seem to care about what animals are cute
    I know, how many people would care about fox-hunting if they weren't? Then again, everyone hates bullfighting too, and I don't know anyone who think's they're cute.
  • Options
    My gf is a veggie. She craves bacon constantly! I don't mind eating veggie food but I could never turn my back on meat, I need my monosodium glutamate fix :D
  • Options
    Your gf is not the only veggie who misses bacon. I know two people myself who list bacon as the most sorely missed food.

One of them says even walking past a greasy spoon is agony. :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Your gf is not the only veggie who misses bacon. I know two people myself who list bacon as the most sorely missed food.

One of them says even walking past a greasy spoon is agony. :D

STREAKY STRIPS were my saviour when veggie
    http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/food/morning-star-streaky-strips/

most veggie bacon tastes like cardboard but these are nice.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I couldn't go without meat.

The eating 'something that was once walking around' has really never bothered me. I go fishing and hunting a fair bit and I eat local meat because I do have a problem with some farming methods - at least with local meat I know where it's coming from.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Hm, well I was never a big bacon fan so I guess I'm lucky there. I definitely found meat stopped appealing to me after a year at most, but everyone's different eh.

If there's one thing I miss it's a chicken curry. :p
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I eat local meat because I do have a problem with some farming methods - at least with local meat I know where it's coming from.
    exactly.
  • Options
    Nope couldn't give a fuck tbh.

Humans have hunted animals since the beginning of their existence and meat has always been a major part of our diets (I know we can have non-meat diets aswell btw.) I'm not going to change my views just cos "I feel so sorry for the poor wee animals"
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Nope couldn't give a fuck tbh.

Humans have hunted animals since the beginning of their existence and meat has always been a major part of our diets (I know we can have non-meat diets aswell btw.) I'm not going to change my views just cos "I feel so sorry for the poor wee animals"
    But you're not hunting animals if you have a burger king whoppa or whatever it's called these days.
  • Options
    theres far more important issues in the world than eating meat, like say the problem of over fishing, and protecting certain endangered species from poaching etc
  • Options
    But you're not hunting animals if you have a burger king whoppa or whatever it's called these days.
    Because we've evolved not to have to. It's the craving for meat, not the hunting itself, which is natural. Lions don't hunt if they're fed in a zoo either. They're natural born meat-eaters, not natural born hunters, same as humans.
  • Options
    You should only eat what you could kill yourself, imo.

A dirty fat pig would probably kill the lot of ya in mortal combat! :p
  • Options
    Because we've evolved not to have to. It's the craving for meat, not the hunting itself, which is natural. Lions don't hunt if they're fed in a zoo either. They're natural born meat-eaters, not natural born hunters, same as humans.

But we could go out and hunt, just like a lion could. We haven't evolved not to do it, we just choose not to. We still have the ability to use tools and work in groups, which is something we evolved that enabled more efficient hunting. I would say we are natural hunters, just as the lion is, because we still possess that ability.
  • Options
    theres far more important issues in the world than eating meat, like say the problem of over fishing, and protecting certain endangered species from poaching etc
    Maybe to you, but not to everybody.

Different issues hold different meanings to different people.