Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Miffy

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You were induced?

What I meant was does it harm you in any way because the labour isn't brought on naturally? Am I talking rubbish, or does that make sense?!

Its a lot higher chance of assisted births eg forcepts, emergency section (like i had :()etc.
  • Options
    Probably best just to hang on until baby wants to be born the I guess.
    When I was born I apparently tried to hang on, and stuck my arm in the air midway. My mum needed a lot of stitches, I'm still not sure she has forgiven me yet!
  • Options
    You were induced?

What I meant was does it harm you in any way because the labour isn't brought on naturally? Am I talking rubbish, or does that make sense?!
    Yeah I was induced, went in on the Monday and Abbie was born on the Wednesday night thanks to them stopping and starting my induction because of a shortage of beds in the labour ward :yeees:

The only risk I can remember off the top of my head is that because of one of the synthetic hormones they give you, syntocinon, your uterus can end up being overstimulated. That can end up causing a shortage of oxygen to the baby and I think it can even cos your uterus to rupture :/

Also because your body is being forced into having contractions then it can cause stress to the baby.

Definitely if I was offered induction again I'd refuse.
  • Options
    Yeah I was induced, went in on the Monday and Abbie was born on the Wednesday night thanks to them stopping and starting my induction because of a shortage of beds in the labour ward :yeees:
    That's shocking :eek2:
  • Options
    Take one of these with you next time!
  • Options
    My waters went 24 hours before they bothered to get me on the syntocinon drip which meant I had to have a lovely drip of antibiotics in my other hand to pull at when I was having contractions :grump:

Well, I can see why you wouldn't be happy about that, BUT, if my waters had gone I would want the chance for things to get going by themselves, I would refuse the drip if they tried to give it to me more or less immediately.

I've never had pitocin/syntocinon myself and I know it's said that the contractions can be more painful, but trust me, once your waters have gone contractions hurt like a bitch anyway. And your first is always more painful too.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    ive decided im going to come sit on you miffy and push it out, sound like a plan?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    That's shocking :eek2:

See - that's the thing. Induction has it's place, sometimes it's a necessary and good thing. It's certainly preferable to a C section if it's necessary to deliver the baby quickly but not so quickly that it's an emergency.

But to do it just because the woman has reached some arbitrary cut off point, or because she's fed up, or because it's more convenient... in other words without good medical reason... I think it's wrong.

Everything GV and Tweety have said is right... it can lead to a cascade of interventions that might not have been necessary otherwise. If you Google it you'll find out all about it. I haven't been able to find ONE study that says elective induction prior to 42 weeks without proper medical grounds leads to improved outcomes for mother or baby, and plenty to say the opposite.
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    ive decided im going to come sit on you miffy and push it out, sound like a plan?

Aww, thanks Bunny, but the kids have been trying that one all day! :lol:
  • Options
    Take one of these with you next time!
    :lol:
    Miffy wrote:
    Well, I can see why you wouldn't be happy about that, BUT, if my waters had gone I would want the chance for things to get going by themselves, I would refuse the drip if they tried to give it to me more or less immediately.
    They dragged my induction out over 3 days, I had the pessary and got the contractions then my waters broke and then I had to spent the next 24 hours telling the male doctors that yes my waters had actually gone and no I hadnt just peed myself :yeees:

Ideally I'd have loved to have waited and gone naturally but after my waters going and having no contractions I was getting a bit anxious about junior being in there all dry :(

Im reliving my birthing nightmare here, my thoughts for baby number 2 are fading by the minute!
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Aww, thanks Bunny, but the kids have been trying that one all day! :lol:
    :lol: i can just imagine you has a human climbing frame! you poor thing!
  • Options
    Im reliving my birthing nightmare here, my thoughts for baby number 2 are fading by the minute!

Lol. Listen, if you feel you had a traumatic experience, maybe you should ask to talk it over with the midwife at your surgery, I know plenty of women who have done this, and going over the whys and wherefores and having someone validate your feelings can help. It can also help, if you think it might deter you from wanting to have another, to discuss that too. And I know of some mums who've had truly horrendous experiences, much worse than yours or mine (my first was a bit traumatic too).

If it's any comfort most of them, me included, say the second time is MUCH easier.
  • Options
    How old are the other kiddies (the ones that have been jumping on you)?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    How old are the other kiddies (the ones that have been jumping on you)?

To a degree the 8 year old, and definitely the 4 year old and 2 year old, sometimes both at the same time.

And the dog has had a go too, flippin great lump he is! :o
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    See - that's the thing. Induction has it's place, sometimes it's a necessary and good thing. It's certainly preferable to a C section if it's necessary to deliver the baby quickly but not so quickly that it's an emergency.
    I wasn't saying it was shocking that she was induced... but that it is shocking that they started her and then stopped her again due to lack of beds!
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I wasn't saying it was shocking that she was induced... but that it is shocking that they started her and then stopped her again due to lack of beds!

Yes, I know. That's just one example of what can happen when it's done just for convenience sake. And it's wrong. How can that be beneficial for the mother? Well, obviously it's not. That's exactly what I meant.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Lol. Listen, if you feel you had a traumatic experience, maybe you should ask to talk it over with the midwife at your surgery, I know plenty of women who have done this, and going over the whys and wherefores and having someone validate your feelings can help. It can also help, if you think it might deter you from wanting to have another, to discuss that too. And I know of some mums who've had truly horrendous experiences, much worse than yours or mine (my first was a bit traumatic too).

If it's any comfort most of them, me included, say the second time is MUCH easier.
    Tbh it wasnt that bad, I've just re-read my birth story and I remember writing that and that helped me :)

It was more to do with the hospital than anything else and the crap thing is I chose to go to that hospital. At least next time I'll be in a different one, or even better, at home on the livingroom floor in my birthing pool watching Eastenders :D
  • Options
    Tbh it wasnt that bad, I've just re-read my birth story and I remember writing that and that helped me :)

It was more to do with the hospital than anything else and the crap thing is I chose to go to that hospital. At least next time I'll be in a different one, or even better, at home on the livingroom floor in my birthing pool watching Eastenders :D
    i watched a water birth video at the parent ed class i volunteer at, and it was amazing to watch! if you ever get the opportunity you should see it. you can see how the baby turns itself to get the shoulders out. its so quick, and clever!
  • Options

That's the trouble, the first time - unless you're VERY clued up - it's all new to you, you don't know what's what, you don't know what to expect, you tend to trust the professionals without question... and you're very vulnerable. Never mind. You'll know better now!
  • Options
    I seem to remember my mum's science teacher friend saying that the baby won't breathe until it needs too (if it's born in the water), and she wanted all the goodness to pass down the umbilical cord before they cut it, so she held him under the water until it had gone through.

HOWEVER ... she brought her placenta home with her and kept it in the fridge for a few days before burying it on her allottment (under the redcurrant bush), and she is still breastfeeding said child now, and he is nearly 4 years old.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    OUCH! Teeth!!!
    My aunty did that, breast fed her little girl until she was 2, and frequnetly drew blood from her nipple, because her litt'un bit her so much.
    The World Health Organisation actually recommend continuing breast feeding until 2 years old which btw is the global average age to stop. My mother stopped breast feeding me when I got my first tooth (at three months) as I bit her and made her bleed and there was loads of blood.
  • Options
    I seem to remember my mum's science teacher friend saying that the baby won't breathe until it needs too (if it's born in the water), and she wanted all the goodness to pass down the umbilical cord before they cut it, so she held him under the water until it had gone through.

HOWEVER ... she brought her placenta home with her and kept it in the fridge for a few days before burying it on her allottment (under the redcurrant bush), and she is still breastfeeding said child now, and he is nearly 4 years old.
    Some people make placenta pate or placenta pizza :yum: I asked to see my placenta and it looked like a wee jellyfish.

It's true about the cord though, there's a lot of goodness and nutrients in it and it's a waste to cut it right away. Abbie's cord was cut almost immediately cos her cord was really short.
  • Options
    She also told me why babies are so red and blotchy when they are born, something to do with oxyhaemoglobin. I remember talking to her about babies legs being frog-like for ages afterwards, but I can't remember the outcome of that one.

She was convinced her baby was talking really early, and about plant names (she likes gardening and I guess she thought he could say them because she talked to him about them) eg he would say some incoherent babble, and she would say 'Hollyhocks! Well done Ross!'
  • Options
    She was convinced her baby was talking really early, and about plant names (she likes gardening and I guess she thought he could say them because she talked to him about them) eg he would say some incoherent babble, and she would say 'Hollyhocks! Well done Ross!'
    :lol: that reminds me of that advert with Jilly whatshername...and a whiff of hollyhocks goes right up your nose!
  • Options
    Jilly....Goulden?
    Mm, it's fruity, nutty....do I detect a hint of grape?
  • Options
    Jilly....Goulden?
    Mm, it's fruity, nutty....do I detect a hint of grape?
    :lol: yeah her! she is nutty thats for sure!
  • Options
    your uterus can end up being overstimulated. That can end up causing a shortage of oxygen to the baby

THats what happened to me, so IF i ever had another i would NEVER be induced ever.
    And it took about 5 hours for them to believe me that i didn't have a break between contractions :mad:

I did what miffy suggested and talked to a midwife about what happened etc as it was a mess and i also complained to the hospital about some stuff. Although i wish i didn't bother as thier responce made me even madder.
  • Options
    Have you tried all the other ideas for starting your labour i.e. eating curry, a long walk....or good old sex?! :naughty:
  • Options
    I didnt have a bad experience (apart from him being 5 weeks prem) but I think for my next one, i might try for a homebirth.
  • Options
    Hmm, there weren't any complications with my birth BUT they did induce me for absolutely NO reason at all! "ooh we think your baby's a bit small, come in on the first and we'll induce you". One pessary and four hours later, my perfectly formed small child arrived. Like Miffy said, for your firs you don't realise your choices so much, I did ask about a home birth but they told me they don't do that for first births- um, hello? YOU don't do anything, I AM the one giving birth, therefore it is MY DECISION!!!@!!1!!2!!! If I ever give birth again and don't have good reason to expect any serious problems, I'll be doing it at home.