Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why shouldn't old threads get new replies?

Well seems like replying to old threads is the end of the world in here...

So here is a new thread :)

And I would just love to understand what is the big deal about it.

Seriously, cos frankly I don't see it.

If you are not allowed to post in old threads, which btw are new to me as I have never seen them before, why can you still post in them?

The way I see it newbies join all the time and if they reply to old threads, then you know them better and you might as well have some new opinions that could help a topic.

The more information the better.

But anyway, I am not lokking to annoy anyone on purpose and I am sure
everyone would be glad to try to make me understand what is so bad about doing it.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    it doesnt really bother me tbh, sometimes its good to see what else people have to say but then if i click on it, and i decide i dont want to read it, i just leave it, and go somewhere else, like i do with new threads. so i dont mind hun.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They are left there as reference point. It just gets pretty annoying when old threads are dragged up. If it was a decent amount of time ago, people dont mind it getting started again. But old ones are just annoying, especially ones with new answers.

The good manners guide explains it much better than I do :p
  • Options
    The answers to your question have been answered in the Good Manners Guide.
  • Options
    It's just pointless - most people will have posted in it when it was about the first time.

Dude. Thread. Dead. and all that.
  • Options
    New and old posts

“dude. post. dead” – Turtle

It’s a good idea to check the date that an old thread was started or was most recently added to. As a general rule, anything over a couple of months old can be considered ‘dead’ and is best being left in its grave. Old threads are left as a reference point – if you are reading them and find something interesting you would like to discuss, you could start a new thread about it.

Three reasons for this:
    1. if the thread is asking for advice, any help will be useless after a certain length of time because the problem will have been dealt with.
    2. older posters get frustrated because they saw the thread the first time round, and have to read through it again to check they haven’t replied before and that they aren’t repeating another poster’s comment.
    3. newer posters get confused by all the old and ex posters who originally replied to the thread.

Before you start a new thread on anything, check previous pages on the board to make sure nobody has posted a similar question recently. It is possible that the answer to your question is already there, and you won’t need to make a new post. People are willing to give advice but will obviously be annoyed if no-one else bothers to read it and they have to give up their time answering the same question for another poster. It is also pointless for a poster to repeat their question or topic by starting a new thread.

From the Good Manners Guide.
  • Options
    The answers to your question have been answered in the Good Manners Guide.

Anyone got a link to that Good Manners Guide?
  • Options
    It's just pretty annoying like.

What really pisses me off are newbies who reply to 4 year old threads offering help to a pregnant girl and shit like that!
  • Options
    I prefer "Dude. Thread. Dead" because it rhymes better :p
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What really pisses me off are newbies who reply to 4 year old threads offering help to a pregnant girl and shit like that!

Ah, in my defense, never done that one :)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Anyone got a link to that Good Manners Guide?
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=87303
  • Options
    Bugger you beat me to it JsT!

Fuckit I'm posting it anyway! :p
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=87303
  • Options
    I don't like old threads being dragged back up coz its always a bit unfair to the older users imo. I mean i wouldnt be best please if a thread I posted like 4 years ago about a problem I had at the time was dragged up now
  • Options
    :no:
  • Options
    I don't like old threads being dragged back up coz its always a bit unfair to the older users imo. I mean i would be best please if a thread I posted like 4 years ago about a problem I had at the time was dragged up now

Same here

*has never replied to 'dead threads'*
  • Options
    JsT wrote:

Thank you.

Maybe I should have read that when I was bored instead :p

Well at least gave me a topic to start a new thread.

Still think it is intesriesting to see everyone point of view on it tho.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Thank you.

Maybe I should have read that when I was bored instead :p

Well at least gave me a topic to start a new thread.

Still think it is intesriesting to see everyone point of view on it tho.
    i have just noticed your location!! :lol: loving it! and that note, i might pop in for one!
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    i have just noticed your location!! :lol: loving it! and that note, i might pop in for one!

Anytime ;)
  • Options
    I thought the idea of the Good Manners Guide was to read it before starting to make posts/threads on thesite.
  • Options
    I thought the idea of the Good Manners Guide was to read it before starting to make posts/threads on thesite.

Yeah I know, my bad...
  • Options
    I bought one up by accident recently (the drugs quiz) but it was a genuine mistake as I saw it was from the start of February and didn't remember that it ain't 2005 anymore.
  • Options
    it doesnt really bother me, although alot of people find it anoying

clasic example was the "why do 12 year old girls wear thongs" thread. it was going for years. i dare someone to reply to it now..
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    it doesnt really bother me, although alot of people find it anoying

clasic example was the "why do 12 year old girls wear thongs" thread. it was going for years. i dare someone to reply to it now..
    Which one do you mean? I searched but couldn't find one that was going for ages, although it has been done a few times.
  • Options
    Just wondering, after reading the good manner guide so now I know :), are some of the old posters in here get frustrated by old thread coming up?
  • Options
    Just wondering, after reading the good manner guide so now I know :), are some of the old posters in here get frustrated by old thread coming up?
    You've only just noticed? :p

Yes people do get annoyed by it. You can tell by the general OMG FUCK OFF NEWBIE response that they tend to reply to them with although they are probably less harsh with your as you are not really a newbie now (even though you only joined last month)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    You've only just noticed? :p

Yes people do get annoyed by it. You can tell by the general OMG FUCK OFF NEWBIE response that they tend to reply to them with although they are probably less harsh with your as you are not really a newbie now (even though you only joined last month)

Well I have been bringing back some old threads for a while now and I have never had any complains like this time around to be honest. So just checking to make sure, I aint here to annoy people ;)

At the end gave us something to do :p
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Which one do you mean? I searched but couldn't find one that was going for ages, although it has been done a few times.

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=50585&page=6&pp=30&highlight=year+thongs

*edited to put the quote in*
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    If it's relevant I don't see a problem.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    Thanks for that! I don't want to reply though incase they all get made at me.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Personally I don't mind if they're threads like "Favourite colour" or "How do you call your mum" etc, it's only annoying if it's a thread where someone was asking for help, as it's probably solved by now. The silly kind of thread that nihilisticmadman has been bringing back isn't annoying at all.
    2. older posters get frustrated because they saw the thread the first time round, and have to read through it again to check they haven’t replied before and that they aren’t repeating another poster’s comment.
    This isn't true anymore though, as with the current boards version you know where you've replied by the black dot on the icon.
  • Options
    i do it all the time but then ...i'm the kind of bloke who farts in front of your nan.