Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Best seaside resort around the UK

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whitby is certainly a good place to go, but i wouldn't say for a night out, or if you just wanted to mooch in arcades for a bit. It's not really that sort of resort, and you have scarborough around that area for that anyway.

Weston Super Mare, i went as a kid, it was bad. I went back last year as a brief stop of from a road trip. It was worse. Weston Super Mare, is afflicted (as are many seaside resorts) by the modified car brigade, who like to race ridiculously loud, bad vehicles along the promenade. It was quite funny to join in with out beaten up bangers that had just been around the country and on their last legs though :) You can park your car on the beach though, but as the signs point out, only at the risk of having it washed away.

Cleethorpes!! A little known fact about this dive, is that it's not actually on the seaside, but on the banks of the river humber. The sand was brought in by train in the 19th century. Shithole. Without a doubt. Avoid.

Weymouth is all right, i quite like weymouth and the surrounding area. I guess it's quite far from Nottingham.

Blackpool - Definition of British coastal town decline.

Skegness is really cool, perhaps a bit of a cliché, but we go for day trips there as it's only about an hour away. Good pubs, arcades, cinemas, parks, rides, Tony's Chippy!!! Never forget tony's chippy, or indeed it's lesser known, and lesser quality neighbour Harrys Ramsbottoms.

Mablethorpe is skegnesses lesser known neighbour. Again, it has most of your typical seaside town trappings, bad arcades, bad markets, bad smelling food outlets, and of course a really bad nightlife. The beach tops skegness though, and it's not as busy in the summer. I suppose you could have a good time here really though, because these things are what you make them.

Portland Bill is near to weymouth, and isn't exactly your typical seaside resort, but it's really really really cool, though again probably out of the way from nottingham. It's like some crazy island or something. Made famous by the cartoon (and 12" story record) 'The Adventures Of Portland Bill' - A Guy named bill who looked after the lighthouse on Portland Bill.

Tenby Ah Wales, Tenby is all right really. It's more of a town by the sea, then merely a promenade. I quite like it there, and recommend it for a bit of a stop off.

Newquay Good for surfers (or so the amount of surf based shops would have you believe), but i didn't find the place particularly entertaining. Fat Willys Surf Shack is a must, however.

Flamborough Head Probably my favourite place on the east coast. Deserted rugged coastline, caves, cliff faces, wild birds. Flamborough head is fantastic, again, not for a teenage night out, but a great place to stop off on a road trip for a bit of an 'adventure'.

Torquay It likes to call itself the English riviera. It's all right i guess, but to me, a few palm trees do not constitute a riviera.
  • Options
    Aberystwyth or newquay i reckon, loved newquay for the pretty beach an the surfing, Aber just cos its stunning :heart:
  • Options
    cleethorpes!
  • Options
    i gotta say blackpool! and just so you know, the pleasure beach opened today for the rest of the season! :thumb:
  • Options
    Torquay It likes to call itself the English riviera. It's all right i guess, but to me, a few palm trees do not constitute a riviera.

I quite like Torquay, it's quite trendy lots of nice cafe bars, and it has quite a good nightlife as well, me and my boyfriend went to both Whitby and Torquay in September and while i love whitby, we've even stayed in the same apartments twice, it's not the kind of place you would go to as a seaside 'resort' really if your looking to go out on the lash kinda thing like you said.
  • Options
    Weymouth?
    It's just some dried up little town with a few knackered hotels and easy access to the inbreds on Portland.

As seaside towns go, I quite liked Tynemouth.
  • Options
    cleethorpes!
    haha!
  • Options
    I love Scarborough, Whitby, Filey and Bridlington. And they're all 'fairly' close. :D
  • Options
    Sandy Bay :lol:
  • Options
    Blackpool is my annual holiday I love it.