Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shocking new abuse images from Abu Ghraib unvealed

An Australian TV channel has broadcast previously unpublished images showing apparent US abuse of prisoners in Iraq's Abu Ghraib jail in 2003.
The images on SBS TV are thought to be from the same source as those that caused an outcry around the world and led to several US troops being jailed.

The new images show "homicide, torture and sexual humiliation", SBS said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4715540.stm

Some images here

So... rape, humilliation, abuse of mentally ill inmates, covering inmates in human faeces, murder, torture, beatings...

Even worse than the initial scandal had led us to believe.

Tell us again the difference between Allied troops and evil Saddam Huseein, Walkindude?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The difference is Aladdin...

Saddam and his regime sanctioned the abuses that took place. Even being directly invloved in some of them.

The incidences here, as the report says, are isolated, unauthorised incidences being done by soliders off their own inititive.
  • Options
    Only the orders came from above. Well, well above.

Back to the drawing board, kid.
  • Options
    Soldiers who will soon be in jail serving sentences no doubt! We hope anyway...
  • Options
    God did you even read your own link/??????

Nothing it says the orders cam from above anywhere barring their own twsited minds.

Stop making shit up to serve ur own purpose. Kid.
  • Options
    LOL. And this come from Mr. 'Prisoners aren't tortured in Guantanamo Bay' Walkindude.

Where have you been for the last 3 years? Surely not on this planet. Unless your head was firmly buried in the sand... or up some orifice or other.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

Saddam and his regime sanctioned the abuses that took place. Even being directly invloved in some of them.

The incidences here, as the report says, are isolated, unauthorised incidences being done by soliders off their own inititive.

You've got be an idiot if you believe that.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    So the Americans are no better than the people they are fighting?

What's fucknig new? Thats the whole IDEA of the place being outside hte USA - they don't need to conform to no laws. Castro is already trying to get rid of it, for christs sake. If he is fed up, something is obviously wrong.
  • Options
    And for those who doubt these people weren't following orders, I'd like to remind you:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/E3C89C20-6A0A-48F9-9476-A72F4E00A426.htm

Rumsfeld also ordered military officials to hold prisoners but not list them on prisoner rolls requested by the International Red Cross.

According to Newsweek magazine, these memos and orders were signed by Rumsfeld, Bush and Attorney General John Ashcroft.

They werent being taken off those lists in order to not burden the poor people at the Red Cross, who were already severely overworked.
  • Options
    Er, so Bush gave the order to sodomise prisoners? There's nothing in that report which gives any evidence apart from what we already know - that a small group of soldiers were mistreating prisoners and that leadership at the prison was weak in allowing it to happen.

And as for US govt not releasing pictures they alledgedly hold - why should they? They're likely to inflame the area and put, not only US soldiers at risk, but the lives of Iraqis caught in the crossfire.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

funny how the soldiers manage to get away with so much in a highly monitered prison...

"Serve your country, join the army, be the fall guy"
  • Options
    funny how the soldiers manage to get away with so much in a highly monitered prison...

"Serve your country, join the army, be the fall guy"

They didn't get away with it - you must have missed the court-martials and jail sentences.
  • Options
    And you, NQA, mustve missed the "fall guy" concept he mentioned. With clear admission from ranking members of this admin that international conventions on human rights and treatment of prisoners do not apply, its clear this is an ethos of sanction eminating from the top echelons of the admin and their appointed pentagon megalomaniacs.

Parade some low level soldiers as the scapegoats, claim there is or has been "an investigation" (the military investigating itself and announcing the truth, riiiight) and unquestioning military types gullibly chime the same chorus line.

Please. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    They didn't get away with it - you must have missed the court-martials and jail sentences.
    didn't miss them, they were tried for breaking the written rules. Would it really supprise you if they were following policy?
  • Options
    I really don't think it is responsible to broadcast or publish these images at this point. The situation has been exposed, and it is deplorable. Showing these images is simply sensationalizing the torture, in my opinion.

Of course, I continue to be disturbed by the fact that the American people don't really seem to care too much about the torture. That's a very sad thing. :(
  • Options
    lawyerlee wrote:
    I really don't think it is responsible to broadcast or publish these images at this point. The situation has been exposed, and it is deplorable. Showing these images is simply sensationalizing the torture, in my opinion.

Of course, I continue to be disturbed by the fact that the American people don't really seem to care too much about the torture. That's a very sad thing. :(
    and publishing these pictures will help to wake them up to exactly what our government is doing in our name.
  • Options
    didn't miss them, they were tried for breaking the written rules. Would it really supprise you if they were following policy?

It would because it would be a better a defence (or at least a mitigating factor) and there's been no evidence that it was policy.
  • Options
    Aladdin, when you can actaully come up with evidenc eto your cliams, then I think you can have a go at me.

THERE IS NO EVIDENCE TO SAY THAT THE ABUSE IN THOSE PICTURES WAS ORDERED BY HIGHER UP OFFICALS OR MEMBERS OF THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION AND THERE IS CERTAINLY NO EVIDENCE TO SAY BUSH, RUMSFELD, CHENY, POWELL, WOLFITZ OR ANY OF THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION ORDERED THAT BEHAVIOUR UNLIKE TH EABUSE GOING ON INT HE SADDAM ERA WHERE HE PEROSNALLY MURDERED PEOPLE AND HIS SONS INDULGED IN TORTURE AND RAPE SESSIONS.

Now that I have put that in caps you and blagsta might understand it.

Though I highly doubt it and will only be meet by insults again as you have no evidence or arguments to make.
  • Options
    Also those pictures are 3 years old. We know what happened. The people involved WERE punished.

This pictures have no bearing on us, the general public and only sereve as propaganda to terrorists and coverage for crappy jouranlists who don't give a toss about anyone other then themselves.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Aladdin, when you can actaully come up with evidenc eto your cliams, then I think you can have a go at me.

THERE IS NO EVIDENCE TO SAY THAT THE ABUSE IN THOSE PICTURES WAS ORDERED BY HIGHER UP OFFICALS OR MEMBERS OF THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION AND THERE IS CERTAINLY NO EVIDENCE TO SAY BUSH, RUMSFELD, CHENY, POWELL, WOLFITZ OR ANY OF THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION ORDERED THAT BEHAVIOUR UNLIKE TH EABUSE GOING ON INT HE SADDAM ERA WHERE HE PEROSNALLY MURDERED PEOPLE AND HIS SONS INDULGED IN TORTURE AND RAPE SESSIONS.

Now that I have put that in caps you and blagsta might understand it.

Though I highly doubt it and will only be meet by insults again as you have no evidence or arguments to make.
    Take your blinkers off for a minute will you?

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/E3C89C20-6A0A-48F9-9476-A72F4E00A426.htm
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Also those pictures are 3 years old. We know what happened. The people involved WERE punished.
    If only the ones who encouraged them to do such things had been punished as well...
    This pictures have no bearing on us, the general public and only sereve as propaganda to terrorists and coverage for crappy jouranlists who don't give a toss about anyone other then themselves.
    Those pictures have every bearing to the general public and to any person who has a trace of humanity and decency in them.

Seeing as we put those people in charge by voting them into office (they are our employees, don't you ever forget that) it is our duty and responsibility to ensure absues are not perpetrated.
  • Options
    There can be no justification whatsoever for the grotesque brutality being displayed in some of these pictures. I'm pretty sure Saddam Hussein would have people beaten to a pulp every now and then. The only difference is, troops haven't beaten anyone to death - well, not that we know of. This murky war is bringing out the worst in everyone.
  • Options
    The other difference is that at least Saddam didn't bother the world constantly with cries about torture, human rights and freedom. Unlike our friends in DC.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The other difference is that at least Saddam didn't bother the world constantly with cries about torture, human rights and freedom. Unlike our friends in DC.
    Human rights to Saddam Hussein probably meant giving his prisoners an extra five minutes to live before they were shot.
  • Options
    One last cigarette.

We don't even allow that here anymore ;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    One last cigarette. We don't even allow that here anymore ;)
    "One last cigarette before Nanny Tony fines you £2.500"... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ok....

1) You are using information from the Aljazerra network? The middel east equivlenat of biased reporting on the sam elevel as FOX?? LOL, dear me.

2) In the link you posted, the article says there was a memo signe d by rumsfeld and possibly countersiged by other bush administration memebers for the hooding of prisioners, dogs for inimidation and stripping. I did not not know that meant raping and abuse did you?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the police have been using dogs as intimidation for years. As for hooding, well thats a common rpactice when moving prisioners around and practcing senseory deprevation and the stripping, well, how else do they where th eprisioner unifroms they may recieve? over there clothes?

Sorry, its some1 making a moutain ou tof a mole hill. No doubt trying to sell a book and become a d-list celeb over their controversial claims.

3) These 2-3 year old pictures have no bearing on the general public now, whatsoever and only serev to endanger lives and provoke race wars.

If you don't like Bush so much or america and you think the al-quida fighters in afgahnistan and iraq ect are heros and only defending their homes against foreign invaders then why not join them? See how your welcome,s ee what they ask you to do and check on their philiosphy.

or do you like the nice western clothes, houses, entertainmnet and food too much as well as the books and education your western government provides you with for to be able to critcise them so harshly?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Ok....

1) You are using information from the Aljazerra network? The middel east equivlenat of biased reporting on the sam elevel as FOX?? LOL, dear me.
    Are you trying to suggest Al Jazeera has made it up?

:rolleyes: x 94,000,000,000
    2) In the link you posted, the article says there was a memo signe d by rumsfeld and possibly countersiged by other bush administration memebers for the hooding of prisioners, dogs for inimidation and stripping. I did not not know that meant raping and abuse did you?
    It certainly means abuse. And psychological torture.

In any case, if you were to abandon such simplistic arguments you would realise that no leader is going to write down "please sodomise inmates and insert objects into their rectums". It works a tad more subtly than that you know... but the green light given to soldiers to do anything they please is still clear.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the police have been using dogs as intimidation for years.
    Wrong. They use it as deterrent and security. Not as punishment/amusement for prisoners who are already securely locked and defenceless.

Keep digging... Australia can't be far away now.
    As for hooding, well thats a common rpactice when moving prisioners around and practcing senseory deprevation and the stripping, well, how else do they where th eprisioner unifroms they may recieve? over there clothes?
    Are you trying to suggest now that sensory depravation is either common practice or acceptable?

Would you draw the line at anything? I get the impression if US soldiers had been filmed throwing the children of suspected terrorists to crocodiles you would be telling us how it's all for the greater good.
    3) These 2-3 year old pictures have no bearing on the general public now, whatsoever and only serev to endanger lives and provoke race wars.
    Seeing as the extent of abuse is even bigger than we had thought, and that not a single officer was charged with anything, we have every right to see the pictures and to demand action.

If you don't like Bush so much or america and you think the al-quida fighters in afgahnistan and iraq ect are heros and only defending their homes against foreign invaders then why not join them? See how your welcome,s ee what they ask you to do and check on their philiosphy.
    Nice try kid.

Your comprehension levels are worryingly low.
    or do you like the nice western clothes, houses, entertainmnet and food too much as well as the books and education your western government provides you with for to be able to critcise them so harshly?
    Oh dear dear dear... We're scrapping the very bottom of the barrel now aren't we? :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wins once more.
    Just for this:
    :rolleyes: x 94,000,000,000
    :p

Also, I see the UN has issued a report on Guantanamo. Anyone here the interview with that Republican fella on World Service? "Laws don't apply in this situation". Ooh, I want to hurt him bad, momma!
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the police have been using dogs as intimidation for years. As for hooding, well thats a common rpactice when moving prisioners around and practcing senseory deprevation and the stripping, well, how else do they where th eprisioner unifroms they may recieve? over there clothes?

Have you ever been in a prison?
  • Options
    I like how walkindude has managed to wind some of you up, like Aladdin to a point where you lose your tempers and dont manage to counter his arguments anymore.

The only thing right was the bit about the use of dogs. Although a mate of mine wo just joined up with the police force and is in what ever the dog unit is called has just got a new german shephard puppy and been told to train it up to capture criminals and "scare the shit out of them" so as thats his order, maybe they are used for intimidation...i dont know.

Point is, every war in the 20th century had the use of censory deprivation employed in it at some stages. Only when its Nazis or whatever who are suffering it no one cares.

Al Jazeera mostly does show biased reporting that insights hatred and violence and is on a par with FOX. Though sometimes even FOX do report the news and in the same way so does Al Jazeera as well.

Finally, saying the top levels authorised it as though it is a fact then saying there is no evidence to prove it because obviously there wouldnt be, as it would be incriminating is a poor argument. Either they authorised it at the top levels and there are existing written orders, or it was at a lower level like the Colonel incharge of the prison.

Torturing prisoners is wrong. The methods used that have been brought to light in Iraq are barbaric and a kin to Saddam's regime. They should be stopped, as these prisoners have been prisoners for some time and so have no reason to be torutred, as they know nothing...But it is not the time to resort to name calling and been petty and childish and refusing to actually make meaningful retorts and relying on lame rhetorical questions and making selective quotes with no response to them but funny faces or sarcastic comment.

I mean surely we have not come to that level?