Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Internet Dating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have spent the last few hours falling in :heart: lust :heart: with a rather gorgeous man on an internet dating site. Sent him Franki's valentine e-card too. Cheers Franki :thumb: Ah, the ups and downs of internet dating, all fired up but going to bed alone... If we haven't met IRL within a reasonable time- 10 days is my boredom threshold, it will still have been a lovely flirty chat. If (WHEN) we do meet... I'll keep you posted!

I've had a lovely relastionship with a guy I met online before, the distance was a problem for me in the end- otherwise I think we'd probably still be together. I've also become quite good friends with a guy I met with a view to dating, but no sexual attraction killed that idea. On the topic of e-dating, who here has had good outcomes? Um, Kermit and GWST I guess- if they met here? And Youngbull seems to be getting on really well with his new love interest, think they met online? Any others? Oh, and for the gossip factor- anyone met that 'twelve year old' or similar that people joke about?

Comments

• Options
    katralla wrote:
    And Youngbull seems to be getting on really well with his new love interest, think they met online?
    :yes: She loved the meal i cooked her on monday, along with the card, little eeyore teddy (asked how i knew she loved eeyore, told her cos i love eeyore, he's great) and BIGGEST bunch of flowers anyone had ever given her. Have to wait to thursday to see her again :( going round her's this time.

We're both taking things slow at the moment, as we both dont want to get hurt again (but guess that is normal). But its going well. We've both said the we really really like each other, but both want to wait a little bit longer before we go any further (ie sex), which i'm happy about, plus i've got to wait a little longer for my new piercing down there to heal first.

We meet on Yahoo Singles. Found that 90% of the girls/women on the single site all have similar profiles "where are all the nice men" "want to be treated like a queen" etc.... i ignored all of those and only looked a the ones with orginal sounding posts. She was surpised that i emailed her due to her piercings (mainly ears + a few others). But told her i've always had a thing of pierced women.

Good luck Katralla hope it goes great for you. :yippe:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Online relationships are just that - talking to a random person over the internet. It isn't a proper relationship until you take it into the real world. I met my husband on here and man, that was hard. He lived in Sheffield and I lived in Edinburgh and the distance was really horrible. However, if you both are committed to making something like that work, then it will.

We both worked hard in our relationship and it paid off. I hope yours does too.
  • Options
    Me and NMM :love:
    we met online, and chatted for a couple of weeks before I insisted on meeting him - have never looked back.

at least online you get to be a bit more selective. Its easy to block someone whos just not on the same wavelength rather than wasting time on crap dates and avoiding people after youve met them.
  • Options
    Ive had online relationships before and theyre not really for me now. Dont get me wrong, but I prefer to be picky these days, as too often Ive taken the girst girl that comes along and its gone haywire and ive been hurt. When you're single anyone can seem like a good partner sometimes. But after my experiences with girls I think if Im single again (i hope not anytime soon - or ever lol :p) i think id prefer to wait to meet someone and get along rather than actively seek a relationship.

But im not knocking it, i just know a lot of the relationships i had on the internet ended up with me getting hurt and it was silly because i didnt even know them that well.
  • Options
    I tried to pursue an Internet relationship late 2004 into last year. Unfortunately, when I met up with her, it was a near-total disaster. We got on absolutely fine for the first couple of hours, but after that, the wheels started coming off. At the moment, I'm talking to someone online who's fairly keen on meeting me, but money is currenly preventing me from doing so.
  • Options
    i just know a lot of the relationships i had on the internet ended up with me getting hurt and it was silly because i didnt even know them that well.
    That was one of the reasons why Niccie and myself spoke via MSN, txt and phone for so long (1.5months) before meeting up. So we could get to know each others personality first, then decide if we wanted to take things further. Sometimes that works and the person acts the same irl as on the web, sometime they are completely different. Good news for us we both act the same on net as when in person.
  • Options
    Years back... late 1999, I started chatting to a lovely girl in Yahoo chat. We got on quite well - but she lived miles away. I was working on the road at the time, so the next time I was in her area we met up. It was a complete disaster! It was awkward and horrible and dull and boring... I went away and was glad to leave!

Kept chatting to her online, and popped over a couple of months later when I was in the area again. Things were completely different - we were living together a couple of months after that, and it lasted for a little short of 3 years.

You can meet people anywhere, at any time. Things can go badly or go well, whether you meet them in a pub, a shop, on a site, or through a dating agency.

Single, mid-20's biker here, based in the Midlands. Any takers? :thumb: ;)
  • Options
    You can't have an internet relationship, but you can meet some great people online.

Yeah, me and GWST first became mates here. We didn't become lovers on the internet though, it grew out of our friendship after we met several times in the real world. Everyone else I know who's gone with people they met on the net were the same.
  • Options
    ive never had any luck with it because the people always pull out of meeting up and stuff. i think ill just stick the the conventional method, even though i have no luck there either *sigh*
  • Options
    TBH, I've never actually understood how anyone can have an internet relationship - to me it's not a 'proper' relationship as such.
  • Options
    I met a LOVELY guy from Faceparty, 'twas years ago now. He's one of my best mates, so I think the internet is invaluable for meeting folk you'd probably never come across otherwise.

I agree with Kermit about actual romantic relationships though; I'd feel weird meeting someone with the known intention of deciding if they were right for a relationship or not. I wouldn't be adverse to meeting someone as a friend and things developing from there, but then that's not "internet dating", as I see it. :)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I wouldn't be adverse to meeting someone as a friend and things developing from there, but then that's not "internet dating", as I see it. :)

So to you, what exactly is an 'internet relationship'?
  • Options
    So to you, what exactly is an 'internet relationship'?

The people that I'm friends with online whom I've never met, and probably never will. That relationship exists purely on the internet, whereas the people whom I've met and constructed a relationship with offline are people I'd consider myself having a relationship with, period. It was borne of the internet, but has evolved from there. If that makes sense to anyone but myself!

I suppose meeting people from the internet is an "internet relationship", but at what point does it change to just being a normal relationship (in which you still communicate via the 'net). Other relationships aren't defined by the place of meeting, so it's kinda strange that internet relationships and friendships should be. I guess it's unavoidable, as it's still pretty taboo.
  • Options
    An internet relationship is one which is largely or totally reliant on the web for intimacy, rather than physical intimacy.

If you can't ever hug your partner, then you don't have a relationship worth the name IMHO.
  • Options
    Most are just fantasy when it comes to online relationships, dont get me wrong some do meet up irl and marry and all that.
  • Options
    I'd have to agree with Briggi and Kermit on this. Internet Relationship's are purely or mainly based on the net. Yes you can met them on internet first and then met up IRL. If you then develop that relationship in the real world and not on the net then i'd say its not a internet relationship at that point.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    An internet relationship is one which is largely or totally reliant on the web for intimacy, rather than physical intimacy.

If you can't ever hug your partner, then you don't have a relationship worth the name IMHO.

This is why I personally think that an internet relationship ins't a 'proper' relationship...
  • Options
    This is why I personally think that an internet relationship ins't a 'proper' relationship...
    I wouldn't go a far and say that it isn't a proper relationship, but i think it all depends on the type of relationship. If its just friendship then i'd say yes it can be a proper relationship. But if your meaning more romantic, bf/gf relationship then yes i'd agree with you. You can get to know the person while talking on the internet, but it wouldn't be a real relationship till you meet up.
  • Options
    Well this is the only message board i've ever gone to ... had an LJ for a little while but that was to try and keep a record of my time in america and it sort of trailed off because I'm crap.

Have msn for a couple of people who i've known/know from here but that's as much contact as i've ever had with anyone from the internet.

Don't think I could do internet dating because I find it much harder talking to people online than in real life. Not being able to see facial expressions (sometimes a smilie just doesn't cut it) and body language makes it too hard. And the spark of personality that you can pick up in seconds of meeting someone in real life just doesn't come through online ... or if it does it must take longer to recognise.

Plus whenever I read back anything I write on here my sparkling wit and amusing anecdotes just seem to make me look like a twat ... perhaps I just hide it better in real life :p
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    But if your meaning more romantic, bf/gf relationship then yes i'd agree with you.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. This is exactly what I meant.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    katralla wrote:
    If (WHEN) we do meet... I'll keep you posted!

I've had a lovely relastionship with a guy I met online before, the distance was a problem for me in the end- otherwise I think we'd probably still be together.

You say you've had a relationship with a guy you've met online before - so you're probably pretty hot on safety stuff - but it doesn't hurt just to remind you of a few issues

Take care :)
  • Options
    ^^^ good advice. Another option for giving out your number is to get a cheap/free PAYG sim card.
  • Options
    You'll find people you meet onthe internet are either extra truthful then they might have been in meeting for the first time in real life or extra liers, I've come across both.

When you get stung by someone who you find out later told almost nothing but lies it can be a real shock.
  • Options
    Hope you didn't get hurt badly? And the gossipy side of me wants to know more about your experience with an extra liar...
  • Options
    You'll find people you meet onthe internet are either extra truthful then they might have been in meeting for the first time in real life or extra liars, I've come across both.
    Internet friendships/relationships are different in the sense that things get more personal more quickly. For instance, I would never be able to talk about my innermost feelings with someone I'd just met in a bar, yet I can do that using a PM system or Messenger. It's almost as if you get to know the person online, and find out about what they're like, and then when you meet in real life, they're either exactly who you thought they are, or a completely different person.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Internet friendships/relationships are different in the sense that things get more personal more quickly. For instance, I would never be able to talk about my innermost feelings with someone I'd just met in a bar, yet I can do that using a PM system or Messenger. It's almost as if you get to know the person online, and find out about what they're like, and then when you meet in real life, they're either exactly who you thought they are, or a completely different person.
    :yes: yup i'd argee on that.
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Plus whenever I read back anything I write on here my sparkling wit and amusing anecdotes just seem to make me look like a twat ... perhaps I just hide it better in real life :p
    No they dont at all.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Internet friendships/relationships are different in the sense that things get more personal more quickly. For instance, I would never be able to talk about my innermost feelings with someone I'd just met in a bar, yet I can do that using a PM system or Messenger.
    I couldnt pour out my innermost feelings to someone id just met online either. I would maybe if id known them a while or clicked with them online and got to know them, whether thats in real life or online.
  • Options
    No they dont at all.

You're lovely aren't you :heart:
  • Options
    My step-brother met his girlfriend online. They have been living together 5 years now and going out for at least seven I think (not really sure when they met each other but I first got introduced to her in 1998/9)

My step-sister met a guy online and it didn't work out though. But I guess that's no different to real life.

Wheresmyplacebo and TwistedTrinity (Luby) met on here too and they have been going out for over a year now and make a great couple :thumb: