Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Right, can't do this by myself....

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    nicx1811 wrote:
    See, if I was allowed a Fiesta, I'd have one like a shot.

Unfortunetly Dad's a mechanic and has decided that Fiestas are "rot boxes" and his only daughter is not having one of those.

I might have to kill him. Or go back in time and get him a different qualification :D

Peugeot 205s are all galvanised, any rust on them should be miniscule :).
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    See, if I was allowed a Fiesta, I'd have one like a shot.

Unfortunetly Dad's a mechanic and has decided that Fiestas are "rot boxes" and his only daughter is not having one of those.

I might have to kill him. Or go back in time and get him a different qualification :D

What does you dad recomend then ?

If he's a mechanic cant he source a good car for you, their definatly not that bad much better than a rover metro (which realy are rot box's)

Trouble is Im not sure what other smaller cars come in 1.1 size, maybe youl have to get a 1.2
  • Options
    Whether you're tall enough to see over the steering wheel

You're asking for a slap.

I'm perfectly tall enough to see over a steering wheel. I'm not THAT small... I know smaller....

My sisters smaller than me!

(albeit she's five years old)
  • Options
    Firstly, a short-arse is someone who I can use as a table for me beer, whilst standing at the bar :p.

Secondly, insurance is a nasty, complicated game. Different companies give better quotes for different types of car - no single company out there will get everyone the best quote they'll get. A lot of the time, the quote is influenced by:-

Car
    Model
    Engine size
    Your occupation
    Whether it is garaged, parked on a drive, or on the roadside.
    Whether you're tall enough to see over the steering wheel
    Okay, I was kidding about that one
    Whether you'll use it for travelling to work
    How many miles you do per year
    How likely that particular model of car is to get stolen, or damaged
    How many claims young drivers(like yourself) have made for that type of vehicle, and How expensive each claim was

And a whole heap of other things that I can't think of right now. The petrol engined Rover 214 makes 90-odd horsepower - the 1.9 diesel Golf makes around 70bhp. As a rule of thumb, diesel engines need 33% more size to make the same power as a petrol engine - though this doesn't apply to turbo-diesels.

It really isn't just about the engine size - work out what cars you'd like, and then get a quote for the models you're most likely to buy. Sometimes you'll find the results aren't what you'd expect... back when I was 22, if a Mondeo 1.6 cost me £500 to insure, then the 1.8 was £503 and the 2.0 £501! Those aren't the right numbers but they were damned close! ;)

For a 17yr old with their first car, I think engine size is more of a decider.

With me its not so important, more to do with the expense of the car as Im foolishly considered a "responsible" driver
  • Options

Trouble is Im not sure what other smaller cars come in 1.1 size, maybe youl have to get a 1.2

I can just about handle insuring a 1.2... I have the benefit of 1 Years NCB from my moped (not that all companies accept it, luckily the ones I've been looking at do!)

My dad recommends that I get a couple of cars, but he likes the idea of a Corsa. Trouble is he wont let he have one unless:

- It's done less than 60,000 miles
    - It has to be 1995 or newer
    - It has a long tax and MOT (god knows why, as I can afford to get those done... but he's insistent so there must be a reason)
    - It says no where on the advert "it needs TLC" - though when we found one with a door and steering wheel ripped to pieces he was all for that.

All for about £800... if that... he's also said it'd be better if I could get it for £600 or less....

Unrealistic dreams if you ask me!
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    You're asking for a slap.

I'm perfectly tall enough to see over a steering wheel. I'm not THAT small... I know smaller....

My sisters smaller than me!

(albeit she's five years old)

Woohoo! I'm getting a slap! :)
    For a 17yr old with their first car, I think engine size is more of a decider.

With me its not so important, more to do with the expense of the car as Im foolishly considered a "responsible" driver

From my experience, it is and it isn't. My cousin has just passed his test, I think he's 18, and he's just got a late-90's Rover 220 turbo-diesel. It isn't always about the size of the engine - the Rover 1.4 wipes the floor with Fords 1.6 Zetec. Both would wipe the floow with a 1.9 diesel Golf - it's about finding the right engine, in the right car, with the right model.

You'd be surprised how much difference there can be by going for a 5-door over a 3-door - or the other way around...
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I can just about handle insuring a 1.2... I have the benefit of 1 Years NCB from my moped (not that all companies accept it, luckily the ones I've been looking at do!)

My dad recommends that I get a couple of cars, but he likes the idea of a Corsa. Trouble is he wont let he have one unless:

- It's done less than 60,000 miles
    - It has to be 1995 or newer
    - It has a long tax and MOT (god knows why, as I can afford to get those done... but he's insistent so there must be a reason)
    - It says no where on the advert "it needs TLC" - though when we found one with a door and steering wheel ripped to pieces he was all for that.

All for about £800... if that... he's also said it'd be better if I could get it for £600 or less....

Unrealistic dreams if you ask me!

Well show him some printouts, include fiestas tell him you only need it to run for a couple of years its not a long tearm investment, if he rubbishes them tell him theres no alternatives, he should see reson then, emphasise safty rather than long tearm relaibility, he probably cares more about that.
  • Options
    emphasise safty rather than long tearm relaibility, he probably cares more about that.

This is the bloke that when I phoned to tell him that my friends car had ended upside down in a ditch (with me and my boyfriend and 2 other passengers inside) at gone midnight, in the middle of a countryside....asked if the car was a write off before asking if we were all alive.

If the car is unsafe, it will be my fault, don't you worry :thumb:
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    This is the bloke that when I phoned to tell him that my friends car had ended upside down in a ditch (with me and my boyfriend and 2 other passengers inside) at gone midnight, in the middle of a countryside....asked if the car was a write off before asking if we were all alive.

If the car is unsafe, it will be my fault, don't you worry :thumb:

You phoned to tell him meaning you were probably OK, if your mate had phoned to say youd been in a crash Im sure he'd have asked about you first
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:

Getting an MOT done on a car can be very expensive. I could find you a car tomorrow that wanted all of your budget to get it through the MOT - much easier to buy one with a decent MOT already.

Some bargains can be had without an MOT - I sold my last car without one because I just couldn't be bothered doing it. Didn't make sense for me to keep it insured, do the work, and then sell it - it wanted 5cm of welding on the exhaust, and a shock absorber. I sold the car for £250, it would have been worth £500 with a full MOT - and it only wanted around £40 of parts to sort it out. Most people aren't so honest - any car sold without an MOT, you have to bank on it wanting a lot of work in order to be roadworthy.

Best thing you can do, in my opinion, is keep an open mind as to what car you get. Wait for something to pop up in the local paper that has had one owner from new and loads of history. Ignore the miles - once a car is over 5 years old, condition and recent work is far more important than mileage, in my opinion...

What am I doing? Your father is a mechanic! Listen to him give him your cash and let him find you a car! He'll get something good, as he doesn't want to spend every weekend fixing it for you ;).
  • Options

Best thing you can do, in my opinion, is keep an open mind as to what car you get. Wait for something to pop up in the local paper that has had one owner from new and loads of history.

Remember - we're from the same crappy little town. Have you ever LOOKED in our local paper? This week theres a Nova for £80 (I decided against risking THAT one) and then pretty much all the others are out of my price range or I wouldn't be able to insure... or out of my Dad's allocation.

I'm giving up. I'm getting my mum to phone up about one I've seen that Dad discarded. I don't care about mileage. As long as the sodding thing goes.
  • Options
    My friend and I got his 205GTi in the local paper for £400 or so - and it was a damned good buy! Best engines I've had have had a few miles on them - you have to take each car on its own merits. Could always get your Dad to take you down to Cannock auction - you often see decent cars going for nothing, because they are too old for dealers to want...