Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Right, can't do this by myself....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm on a mission. Dad's given me 45 minutes (while he walks the dog) to print out adverts for cars off autotrader that:

a) are in my budget
b) are not falling apart
c) I can insure.

So I need help! What would you guys suggest as a first car?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Something small is normally best.

Vauxhall Corsa, VW Lupo, VW Polo, Ford Fiesta, Ford KA, Peugeot 106, Renault Clio, Citroen Saxo, Fiat Punto etc...
  • Options
    Reading my mind :heart: Looked up some of those, printng Corsas right now ( :heart:! would love a corsa... )

Any other ideas?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    A hummer. :p

Kia Picanto, Toyota Yaris, MC Smart, An old Mini. There is far too many to mention :p
  • Options
    i would go for a saxo
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    A Jaguar XJS ;x
  • Options
    Find a Peugeot 205XS. Cracking cars, great on fuel, don't rot, strong engines, and easy to insure.
  • Options
    Find a Peugeot 205XS. Cracking cars, great on fuel, don't rot, strong engines, and easy to insure.

That'd be amusing if I had one of those. My mum had one a few years back and it nearly ended in divorce... :lol:

I'll have a look though.... just to hear the ranting :D
  • Options
    Mine was a Vauxhall Nova.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Mine was a Vauxhall Nova.

Ooh I completely forgot those, a friend of a friend has one.... well... had.... it ended up meeting his garage door at 30mph.....
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    That'd be amusing if I had one of those. My mum had one a few years back and it nearly ended in divorce... :lol:

I'll have a look though.... just to hear the ranting :D

Best car I ever, ever had was a 205GTi! Never gave me a moments grief, and it was a hoot to drive :). The one car I really, really, really regret selling. The same guy owned it from new in 1987 to 2004, when I bought it. She was lovely :(.

Could always get a turbo-diesel one?
  • Options
    Could just be my mums then. It broke down 9 times in the 6 months she had it.
  • Options
    Whats your budget then chick :p
  • Options
    Blame your fathers mechanical talent then ;).

Mine had 153k on the clock when I sold it. Strong engine, no work other than routine servicing and a clutch at 138k.

Whatever car you buy, you run the risk of getting one that'll start giving grief in the near future. Some cars are just unlucky :).
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    Whats your budget then chick :p

About £800...I think anyway, would have to go the bank :)
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    About £800...I think anyway, would have to go the bank :)

how about a 306, they are a nicer than 106's, a bit bigger so you get the 5 doors so no getting in and out to let people in and you get them in 1.4's so not too bad to insure my friends insurance on hers is 700 for the year.

A Renault Clio? though for £800 it would be the older shape ones.
    I'm the same as you i have about £800-£900 for when i pass, and i'm getting a Renault Megane, because you generally get a bit more for your money, electric windows, remtoe lock in power steering etc and i think they look loads nicer than clio's anyway and you get get loads of them in 1.4's and i really love my boyfriends to drive.

others, fiesta, rover 200, punto, saxo etc
  • Options
    Renault - poor electrics, nice cars when new but not the strongest after a few years of use.
    Pug 306 - nice car, don't get one with a leaky radiator! Still sought after, prices somewhat higher than they should be. Citroen ZX is essentially the same car.
    Pug 106 - very small. Good for short-arses.
    Any small Rover - lovely car to drive, comfy inside, bank on a head gasket replacement every 40k.
    Fiesta isn't a bad car. Later ones(1996-on) with the 1.25 and 1.4 Zetec engines are great fun to drive!
    Punto - another head gasket eater.

What about a VW Polo? Or an Astra?
  • Options
    Pug 106 - very small. Good for short-arses.

If I didn't know for a fact vthat you have no idea who I am, I'd think you were taking the piss :p Though i do like driving my boyfriends, but certain circumstances in the past put me off them...
    What about a VW Polo?

You sound like my goddamn father.
  • Options
    Sounds all good advice, you want something deffinatly less than a 1.4 and dont get a Rover, I dont care what anyone says their crap and fall apart.

Some cars that are 1.1 can actually be quite decent, cheeper insurance and more fuel efficient,
  • Options
    I know I don't want a 1.4... I couldn't insure one with my life!

Diamond are doing quite good though... they're offering insurance for me as a provisonal driver, with my boyfriend as a named driver (both of us 17....) for rpices between £600 and £800 fully comp... which isn't bad, I must admit.
  • Options
    What about a VW Polo? Or an Astra?

don't get an astra, my boyfriends had two and they tend to drive a bit like tanks, i seriously couldn't drive his second one it was horrid and that was with power steering and everything, although they are really cheap.

We've only had three renualts, but all of the electrics on them have been fine, i suppose everyone has different experiences with cars though.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I know I don't want a 1.4... I couldn't insure one with my life!

Really? This is why i don't get insurance companys at all, i swear they just make different stuff up for everyone i got quoted 920 for a 1.4 306 and 860 for a 1.4 megane for the year and then when you add on pass plus they take it down another 20%. and that was for my own policy, but if your just being a named driver it should be really quite cheap.
    It took my boyfriends insurance down putting me on it and thats as a learner driver, and the quote for when i pass was just an extra £50 for the year.
    edit thats on a 1.6 btw
  • Options
    Are you a short-arse then? :p

How about this:-

Red, 3-door 1997 VW Golf
    1.9 Diesel engine
    2 or 3 owners
    Power steering, remote central locking/Toad alarm, stereo, etc
    Tidy, mechanically sound
    Full(ish) MOT, 6 months tax

Just serviced, she's a good car. My best friend has owned it since early 2004, and has used her to commute to uni and back home each day. He's only parting company because I've persuaded him that it would be wise to get something old and interesting, now he can get reasonable insurance - we found a Lotus Elan last weekend, we're collecting it this coming Saturday.

He was going to advertise it at £1200 and be prepared to drop to a grand - I'm confident I can talk him into going down to £900 if he doesn't have to worry about advertising, but I really can't see him going below that.

Insurance doesn't just boil down to engine size, for what it's worth. I found that it cost me £30 more to insure an Orion 1.6i Ghia(the top model one) than a Mini 1000. It's a fine balancing act, but some models of some cars can cost less to insure than you might think...
  • Options
    Are you a short-arse then? :p

Define "short-arse" :p
    1.9 Diesel engine

The general trend we've discovered with insurance companies is: the engine size goes up, the cost ROCKETS. :) It'd of cost £1700 for a year insurance if I were to insure my mums 1.4 Rover... (which she was willing to GIVE ME :mad: and save me all this hassle) so imagine a 1.9!
  • Options
    Diesel engines are different to petrol though, where are you getting your quotes from though they sound horrendous!

My friend (female) has just passed and bought a rover 200 but the diesel version so it's a 1.9 turbo diesel 220 and her insurance is £700 and something for year and thats her as the main driver!
  • Options
    That was Diamond... which has been reasonable for everything else... We compared how much my boyfriend had been offered as his insurance fomr about 8 companies... his cheapest was £1200... I put the same information in, but in my name... and Diamond offered me £600...
    [EDIT] And it's not like there was any real difference between us either, other than male/female... Both 17, both provisional drivers (at the time... he's passed now, but his quote has a year to go down), both 1 year NCB from mopeds... and I claimed I lived at his and would of kept it in the same place... but even if I had put my address and keeping places in it would of gone up because theres no driveways on my street...
  • Options
    See diamond always give me sucky quotes, so does that stupid sheila's wheels (haha :p) but other companys come in at half the price, which is why i really don't get how they work it out, or where they are coming from really.
  • Options
    Ah ok if your putting it down as your a provisional driver that might be why, i assumed you had just passed your test or something and were getting quotes on insuring you as a passed driver kinda thing, sorry i think i'm with it now!
  • Options
    Im with direct line, actually very cheep for my 1.8 fully comp (but then Im old ha ha ha)

But yes at 17, it is going to be very expensive and more so for incresed engine size, so she should definatly go with a 1.1 or there abouts.

A Fiesta comes in 1.1 I think your probably best looking for one of them about 5 years old.
  • Options

A Fiesta comes in 1.1 I think your probably best looking for one of them about 5 years old.

See, if I was allowed a Fiesta, I'd have one like a shot.

Unfortunetly Dad's a mechanic and has decided that Fiestas are "rot boxes" and his only daughter is not having one of those.

I might have to kill him. Or go back in time and get him a different qualification :D
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Define "short-arse" :p

The general trend we've discovered with insurance companies is: the engine size goes up, the cost ROCKETS. :) It'd of cost £1700 for a year insurance if I were to insure my mums 1.4 Rover... (which she was willing to GIVE ME :mad: and save me all this hassle) so imagine a 1.9!

Firstly, a short-arse is someone who I can use as a table for me beer, whilst standing at the bar :p.

Secondly, insurance is a nasty, complicated game. Different companies give better quotes for different types of car - no single company out there will get everyone the best quote they'll get. A lot of the time, the quote is influenced by:-

Car
    Model
    Engine size
    Your occupation
    Whether it is garaged, parked on a drive, or on the roadside.
    Whether you're tall enough to see over the steering wheel
    Okay, I was kidding about that one
    Whether you'll use it for travelling to work
    How many miles you do per year
    How likely that particular model of car is to get stolen, or damaged
    How many claims young drivers(like yourself) have made for that type of vehicle, and How expensive each claim was

And a whole heap of other things that I can't think of right now. The petrol engined Rover 214 makes 90-odd horsepower - the 1.9 diesel Golf makes around 70bhp. As a rule of thumb, diesel engines need 33% more size to make the same power as a petrol engine - though this doesn't apply to turbo-diesels.

It really isn't just about the engine size - work out what cars you'd like, and then get a quote for the models you're most likely to buy. Sometimes you'll find the results aren't what you'd expect... back when I was 22, if a Mondeo 1.6 cost me £500 to insure, then the 1.8 was £503 and the 2.0 £501! Those aren't the right numbers but they were damned close! ;)