Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

if you want to leave the country you need an id card :|

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ~Apollo~ wrote:
    i said this was happening already, thats why i went out in october and got me a new passport, i\'m good for another 10 years now :)
    Does it even cost more to get a passport plus ID card than just a passport? Presumably the biggest costs are common to both so it won't cost very much more to run off an ID card at the same time.

How much was your new passport with id card? My last passport was £42 and that was in 2004.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Does anyone on thesite think that, after weighing up all pros nd con, ID cards are a good idea?
    I'm not against them tbh. Plenty of countries already have similar schemes that work well.

And I voted Labour in last year's election but mainly because there were only two real candidates where I was living and the lib dem one drove us mad during the campaining so me and my flatmate voted Labour just so she didn't get in. Best of a bad bunch though tbh.
  • Options
    The card will hold someone's "date of death"- is this their predicted/knnown date of death or are we expected to rise from the dead to update our ID cards?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Does anyone on thesite think that, after weighing up all pros nd con, ID cards are a good idea?

Depends, what are the pros?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it if it just were an old-style ID card. A piece of plastic with your name, address and photograph you use to identify yourself when opening a bank account and so on- like they have existed in some countries in Europe for decades.
    Maybe we should bring the back the ID cards of sort they had during World War 2. Then again, this government would probably cock that up as well.
    Enforcing the crackpot scheme will cost millions of pounds and create lots of jobs for Labour voters... ah, now I see why they're doing it! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Enforcing the crackpot scheme will cost millions of pounds and create lots of jobs for Labour voters... ah, now I see why they're doing it! :rolleyes:
    Somehow I doubt Blair would be creating that many jobs... He's happy enough axing the civil service.

The pro's are thought to be things like increased security, protection from terrorism, evil darkies ect.
  • Options
    Somehow I doubt Blair would be creating that many jobs... He's happy enough axing the civil service.
    But nobody's been sacked since Gordon announced that. If they have, they've been very quiet about it.
  • Options

giving the contractors a big fat cheque

having one sole target for fraudsters

big waste of money time and resources, if they wanted to do something productive they'd make an ID card, which has name, DOB, if you have a driver license and can be used as a passport

i dont think people would complain then
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    And where are people supposed to get this amount of money from?
    £30 is difficult enough. When the figure of £300 emerged from a very respected school, ministers were quick to trash it. But ministers could afford £300 easily, couldn't they? It's small change considering how much they get paid.
  • Options
    i dont mind tbh.
    I just get what im given
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    The card will hold someone's "date of death"- is this their predicted/knnown date of death or are we expected to rise from the dead to update our ID cards?
    :confused: Who told you that? :chin:
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    £300 is probably pocket money for them. But I agree though, £30 is difficult enough, especially on a student budget, when I don't even get fucking EMA, n earn about £60 a week.
    £300 is indeed a lot of money. Why should we have to pay again for something this Government would have already funded from taxpayers? We'd already have paid once!
  • Options
    it doesnt matter what they charge you on the forms to get it simply because being the government they can fill the gap with tax money :p

i liek the fact to get one you have to use your current but apparantly crap forms of ID to show who you are....

and its only so long before they're faked
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kind of off-topic, but
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't especially mind the DNA database, if it catches rapists then I will celebrate as they are swung from a crane.
    Suppose someone proposed the idea of implanting a microchip in every living human, and have satellites track them every second of every day. That would surely "catch rapists", in fact it would probably prevent most rapes. Would you be up for it?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    J wrote:
    Are we moving quicker than intended or something? Why the sudden rush and human traffic type legislation? I wanted to be a nomad warrior monk from saturn, now I'm a nobody, barcoded up, chicken shipped meat popsicle from catmyerrrN2/7...
    There's nothing like a sense of freedom and openness in the world. Isn't it the devil who likes to go about dividing?

Wow, you're alright! Ace. Welcome back, how are you?

True words as well, I was tempted to become a drifter, but you can't go anywhere now. You gotta live the enforced lifestyle.
  • Options

Its times like this I'm glad I'm dual nationality. VERY GLAD.