Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Driving Test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
mine is at 1:33 today, wish me luck!

Comments

• Options
    Ooohhh good luck!! Fingers will be crossed for you.
  • Options
    Good luck, is this your first?
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    Good luck, is this your first?

Nope, 2nd. i failed first time for going through a traffic light on amber. (but it was either that or slam the breaks on coz i didnt notice it in time)
  • Options
    Don't worry theres been worse....

My boyfriend nearly killed a cyclist (though he passed that one....)

and my friend at college didn't look out her back window before putting her car in reverse in a 3 point turn. When this was pointed out she announced "Well whoevers thick enough to walk behind a reversing car DESERVES to be ran over!"

.... Her drivng instructor is reluctant to let her retake the test 2 months on...
  • Options
    The nerves are really starting to kick in now :nervous:
  • Options
    Don't be nervous.... you can drive. You know you can. So that's all you've got to do. Nothing to be scared of. :)
  • Options
    Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    You'll be fine! Just don't fall into the trap i did the first couple of times and presume you've failed if anything goes up, it'll probably only be a minor. Good luck :)
  • Options
    My second test was at 1.33pm too, and I passed. Sure you will too, good luck :)
  • Options
    Best of luck! Take your time and enjoy it - you'll not be doing this again :).
  • Options
    always used to make me laugh when they had them at odd times!

good luck. :thumb:
  • Options
    Good Luck, all the best! :thumb:
  • Options
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Good Luck :D

(you'll be already started by now though)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    good luck! you will be doin it now, i am thinking of you! im sure you will be fine, and you will be wowing them with your driving skills as we speak! :thumb:
  • Options
    Hope he did okay!
  • Options
    Hope he did okay!

he didnt. failed :(
  • Options
    ah sweetie! im so sorry to hear that! i failed 4 times, and promise me you wont give up...its so worth it in the end. i know how you feel just get down the pub and drown your sorrows while appreciating you can have a drink and not have the car. :heart:
  • Options
    icey wrote:

Aw sorry mate :( How many majors?
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Aw that's bollocks. :grump:
  • Options
    icey wrote:

Sorry to hear that man.
  • Options
    Unlucky mate :(

As others have said, get down to the pub and get pissed. Might as well spend some of that hard earned cash of your's while you've still got it! :p

Trust me, drivings great but you miss out on so much quality drinking time, i haven't been drunk/gone out for 4 weeks nearly now :(
  • Options
    something ive noticed you know: on average, people in cars spend more time / money on lessons, and the pass rate is not that great either, under 50% - people on bikes dont spend that long training (2 to 5 9-5 days i think) and the pass rate is around 80%. So my theory is passing your test isnt directly proportionate to how good a driver you are, because the instructor might just be anal. On a bike they cant fail you for not checking your mirrors every 6 seconds on a blank road, because they cant tell :p
  • Options
    something ive noticed you know: on average, people in cars spend more time / money on lessons, and the pass rate is not that great either, under 50% - people on bikes dont spend that long training (2 to 5 9-5 days i think) and the pass rate is around 80%. So my theory is passing your test isnt directly proportionate to how good a driver you are, because the instructor might just be anal. On a bike they cant fail you for not checking your mirrors every 6 seconds on a blank road, because they cant tell :p
    The legislation on motorbikes is horrendous though, you can use a moped (50cc, approx 30mph) Compulsary Basic Training certif to jump straight on a geared bike on your 17th birthday, with no other training needed.
  • Options
    Aww that sucks, better luck for next time though :)
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    (50cc, approx 30mph)

Actually, they tend to go 40-50mph.... well, all the moped I've known have, including mine, my boyfriends and my friends.

But your right about the legislation tbh. I rode a moped for a year, but theres no way I could just get on a bike with no more training, even though I'm qualified to do so.
  • Options
    How many majors?

Got 12 minors and 2 majors. thats worse than i got in the 1st test!
    I just went to pot really, think i beat my record for worst parallel park ever! :lol:
    1 major was for the parallel park in which i kept reversing when i should have stopped and let the car behind decide weather to wait or overtake me not force them to wait.
    the other major was because i went round the middle of a roundabout to turn right but it was aparently two lanes (very tight lanes though if you ask me).

Pretty gutted but nm, theres always next time i guess!
  • Options
    I swear it depends on whether they are ina good mood or not whether they pass you.

On my test i had in January i failed for undue hestation at a mini round about, basically there were 4 exits and a car at each exit so every one was giving way to their right, so not to cut anyone up i thought i would wait for someone else to go first, but apperentley i should have just gone. So afterwards i asked my instructor about it and he said he would have told me to wait and see what the other traffic are doing first, cause he's had someone fail for being in the same position and then going because it's cutting the other traffic up, you really can't win.
  • Options
    its all about luck on the day, dont feel too bad...im sending you a pint!
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    The legislation on motorbikes is horrendous though, you can use a moped (50cc, approx 30mph) Compulsary Basic Training certif to jump straight on a geared bike on your 17th birthday, with no other training needed.

Aye, but they can't just hop on anything with any real power.

I was 25 when I did my motorcycle licence - despite having driven for 8 years, and having no accidents, I had to still take the entire thing - including the theory and hazard perception test. The amount of training you take in order to be limited to 400cc and 60bhp is a hell of a lot more than the car test you have to take to jump in any car of your choice - and you are then limited to 400cc and 60bhp for 2 years. To get anything bigger you have to do an even bigger and stricter test - motorcyclists don't get off all that easily... though I can see how it looks like 'ped and fifty riders get something of an easy deal - they're also the most vulnerable of road users.

Bad luck about failing the test - but look on the bright side - at least it shows that people don't get on the road until they reach a satisfactory standard :). In an ideal world, anyway ;).