Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

hoorahh! finally a female singer who isn't a sterotype

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my_name wrote:
    "hero turtles"? :eek2:
    That's what they were called in the UK. I assume the USA had a different name?
  • Options
    I'll give you a hint, what form of martial arts did they use against their enemies?

Hero turtles sounds like a term bush would have changed their name to.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I'll give you a hint, what form of martial arts did they use against their enemies?
    Hero turtles sounds like a term bush would have changed their name to.
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? I've heard of this name somewhere, but didn't know it was officially used in the USA.
  • Options
    I think they changed it so they were heros rather than ninjas. Something to do with the image, it was on TV at some day.
  • Options
    I think they changed it so they were heros rather than ninjas. Something to do with the image, it was on TV at some day.
    If I remember it correctly, my dad showed me some newspaper stories about kids imitating what the "ninja turtles" were doing, and who'd got quite hurt. Maybe it was just some silly PR exercise.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? I've heard of this name somewhere, but didn't know it was officially used in the USA.

Yup. That is it.
    Am I sad for knowing this? :(
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

DId they have the same theme song for the show then? They must not have.

IT goes,

teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant ninja turtles, hero in a half shell, tutle power, there the worlds most fearsome fighting team... we're really hip. something something something and they're green. when the evil shredder attacks, something something they don't give him no slack or something like that
    teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant ninja turtles, heros in a half shell, turtle power!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant ninja turtles, hero in a half shell, tutle power, there the worlds most fearsome fighting team... we're really hip. something something something and they're green. when the evil shredder attacks, something something they don't give him no slack or something like that
    teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant ninja turtles, heros in a half shell, turtle power!
    Replace every mention of "ninja" with "hero" and you'd have the UK version.
    How did you know all that? :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

i can't remember the second verse. :( So did like you have british guys singing the song then? I want to hear that :p
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    i can't remember the second verse. :( So did like you have british guys singing the song then? I want to hear that :p
    The voices did sound rather American in our version too.
  • Options
    Edit

I apologize ballerina. So pink, yes. Scary chick. Kinda manly. I think she tries to hard.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    maybe they dubbed over that one word, im so downloading that song when i get home, the hero turtles.
    :lol:
  • Options
    So anyway...

I actually really like it, like I could do without the video, cos it gets a bit silly in places, but it's nice to have someone encouraging something difference, even if most singers only do it by implication, this is an outright switch from the norm of current media. It's also kinda catchy.
  • Options
    Pink is as much a stereotype as any other female signer. She appeals to a certain type of teenager.
  • Options
    The message in this vid is a tad confused/confusing, especially the ending- is she suggesting that the girl who plays with dolls is less likely to be ambitious and academic compared with one who plays american football? what? weird. Anywa, I quite like some of Pink's stuff and think she's gorgeous but... this song doesn't do it for me.

Heroes in a half shell, turtle power!
  • Options
    I like the video, not a fan of pink but that video is cool.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i think that video is stupid, it's like if you don't wear black, have piercings, short hair and prefer football then you're a bimbo.

I don't think that's what she's saying at all. She's saying she's pissed off with the skinny blonde chicks writhing around on tv screens and promoting an image to young girls that's all about sex and nice bodies rather than aiming for high careers and things with a bit more substance. Fair play to her, it makes a change from the

"ooh, papparazzi, leave me alone, I just want to be myself, watch me grind"

It's not a great piece of music but respect to the woman for speaking her mind.
  • Options
    I don't think that's what she's saying at all. She's saying she's pissed off with the skinny blonde chicks writhing around on tv screens and promoting an image to young girls that's all about sex and nice bodies rather than aiming for high careers and things with a bit more substance. Fair play to her, it makes a change from the

"ooh, papparazzi, leave me alone, I just want to be myself, watch me grind"

It's not a great piece of music but respect to the woman for speaking her mind.
    yes i did realise what she was trying to say but the way she says it actually alienates other people.
  • Options
    Pink not a stereotype? Err...

How about Lydia Lunch instead?
  • Options
    I don't think shes slagging off regular girls. She's slating skinny blonde celebs and their videos that gives off the wrong messages to girls and that its about time someone tried to encourage them to aim higher.
  • Options
  • Options
    Its not saying that girls who play with dolls, I think the pink dolls and stuff was representative of the bimbo/perfect bodied culture.

Its about time someone commented on how women get portrayed, and are encouraged to act by the media.

In a poll of 12-15 yr old girls, 63 % said they wanted to be glamour models, 26% wanted to be lap dancers, compared to 3% doctors.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Of course Pink has never portrayed herself in that way has she? Don't get me wrong - I think its great that there is popular music brave enough to say this, but I do find it all rather contrived and hypocritical. She's just another corporate puppet designed to sell records to girls who want to be alternative. Much like Avril Lavigne in that respect.

If you want the real deal rather than a record company puppet, look at those links I posted above.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    i know all the words too :P

for some reason im really good at remembering useless things like words to songs and theme tunes, but when it comes to important things im shite.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    ...or even Polly Jean Harvey?

I personally won't forgive PJ Harvey for miming at Leeds in 2001. Which is a shame, because Stories From The City was a wonderful album. And Henry Lee, the duet with Nick Cave, is absolutely deliciously violent and sick.

Pink's message is contrived and corporate, just like Lavigne, as Blaggy says.

If you want the real deal, try people like Tori Amos, Alison Krauss, the Indigo Girls, Ani DiFranco. Or try Garbage.
  • Options
    Haha actually I like Pink, I think she's quite cool in a wierd way and this video is mildy amusing.

It's a bit shady on bullemic people though.

Ani Difranco still is top of my list for empowering women. :)
  • Options
    Haha.

Loved the MKA Olsen/Lindsay Lohan/Tara Reid/Jessica Simpson/Geri Halliwell/Paris Hilton references.

Class.
  • Options
    All it comes down to is that pink wishes she was Britney Spears.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Nope, this Donatello, the one and only...
    Donatellothebrainsattacks3501.jpg

that must be from the new animated series, cause he has pure white eyes, which is freaky as feck