Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Female Singers

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Janis Joplin
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Patti Smith
    :yes: My mate sent me one of her songs, very interesting.
  • Options
    Ani DiFranco, Janis Joplin, Aimee Mann, Annie Lennox, Skin..... Not a big fan of Vanessa Carlton, bit on the nasal side for me.

ETA: And what about the girl from Rilo Kiley? And Rachael Yamagata? Pretty damn cool.....
  • Options
    Argh I keep remembering more and more!

BIG fan of Corinne Bailey Rae at the moment - pop, but GOOD pop.

www.corinnebaileyrae.net
  • Options
    Tracey Chapman, and Sade are 2 of my favourite female singers.
  • Options
    Michelle branch is a fav......

also lisa loeb too, i like 1 sheryl crow song too.....
  • Options
    Well im glad so many of you have proven it is nothing to do with talent that you dislike so many singers but purely down to their image, how they look, and nothing to do with whether they can sing or not.

Xtina looks like a 1960's style icon, so you all hate her.
    Mariah is a diva, so you ignore her talent and hate her for that.
    Avril is mainstream so you hate her for that. By the way i havnt seen her since she retired from music at all. She has just fallen off the celeb map as far as i can see.

And i like how you can be a hypocrit in one sentence Moonrat, saying that because i dont like an artist doesnt make it "crap" but then simultaneously saying any artist you dont like are rubbish as you implied with your quip about "shake your booty" songs.

I like good songs, and the fact they are in the charts and lots of other people liek them too doesnt make them crap. Also, just because some one is off the radar and an outsider in music doesnt make them amazing and be all and end all. Most people love artists until they go mainstream then the next second they hate them as sellouts, its so frivelous. it is bestter to like music based on whether you like it or not.

I have heard Tori Amos sing, she had one song i loved, really adored when it was released ages back, but thats it. I just do not like the rest of her stuff, its just, not my cup of tea at all.

Oh yeah, music stars look good! shock horror, its only been that way since dawn of television.
  • Options
    Ammie Allen, Ammie Mann, Michelle Branch, Early All Saints (not the later stuff), and some of Gabrielle's songs are very good!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Ammie Allen, Ammie Mann, Michelle Branch, Early All Saints (not the later stuff), and some of Gabrielle's songs are very good!

Ah All Saints!! Loved 'em!!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Well im glad so many of you have proven it is nothing to do with talent that you dislike so many singers but purely down to their image, how they look, and nothing to do with whether they can sing or not.

I know Xtina and Mariah can sing, doesn't mean to say I have to like them.
    subject13 wrote:

Yes, because when she brought out "Dirrty" she was all "Yeah, I'm doing my thang, individuality! etc" now she looks like a knock off Marilyn Monroe. After the dread locks, then the demure look with black hair with fake tan, red lips, then the red/brown hair and now candyfloss hair, red lips. :|

She doesn't have a permenant look whereas true singers don't really care how they look to a degree. She's been fighting for so many different looks because she has that stupid audience who actually cares what she looks like and not what she sings about.
    subject13 wrote:

Like I said - btw you should read - I loved her circa 1996/7 she was my hero. Ever since she got fake titties and blonde hair it's went downhill. She has talent, but fuck she knows it and is SO not gracious about it at all and THAT'S WHAT I DON'T LIKE.
    subject13 wrote:
    Avril is mainstream so you hate her for that. By the way i havnt seen her since she retired from music at all. She has just fallen off the celeb map as far as i can see.

Why not? She's another blonde punk princess wannabe, I loved her in "Complicated" for like a minute, then I grew up. She has too, because that was like, 4 years ago and she's now engaged, blonde through and through and wearing high heeled shoes with eyeshadow and eyeliner which are NOT smudged. I think her new stuff will be better. She's off the celeb map because she's re-imaging herself to look more demure and adult therefore landing herself a few film roles because she knows she can't sing about boys breaking her heart and eyeliner and PUNKRAWK since she's grown out of it and getting married herself. She's happy, she has no angst. She's already dead in the water. Appeal was lost many moons ago.
    subject13 wrote:
    I like good songs, and the fact they are in the charts and lots of other people liek them too doesnt make them crap.

What?! I still like Girls Aloud and Sugababes and all the other daft bints about, I'm partial to Ciara and Rhianna and Kelis and Beyoncé. They're in the charts, nowt bad about them.
    subject13 wrote:
    Also, just because some one is off the radar and an outsider in music doesnt make them amazing and be all and end all.

Who said it did? People are coming out left right and centre in the pop market these days. You're blonde, you can sing, look good. Yep, you'll do. You're black, have hair that looks real, can sing shake your arse like a salt shaker, with a bit of synthesizers, you'll do.
    subject13 wrote:
    Most people love artists until they go mainstream then the next second they hate them as sellouts, its so frivelous. it is bestter to like music based on whether you like it or not.

I used to LOVE Xtina and Avril, but I grew up. I can't be listening to songs about boys breaking my heart, finding love and dancing the night away with my pals all my puff. In your opinion it's dandy to listen to music however you like it, and I agree to an extent, but if I want to stop listening because I think they are fannies, the way they carry themselves, or if I grow up then I think that's my prerogative and shouldn't be judged for it. :D
    subject13 wrote:
    I have heard Tori Amos sing, she had one song i loved, really adored when it was released ages back, but thats it. I just do not like the rest of her stuff, its just, not my cup of tea at all.

Fair dos, only a little of her stuff I like, but I think she's underrated because she isn't mainstream. But the market wants what it wants, she'll still get by because people will still love her. :heart:
    subject13 wrote:
    Oh yeah, music stars look good! shock horror, its only been that way since dawn of television.

Who said they didn't? It's just that stars that look good get phased by their stardom, and it's SO sad to see that happen because IMHO, they lose their appeal. JLo is one of them. I loved her "If You Had My Love" and "So Good" days, but she's swinging from every black music producer's posse and being ludacris with her money and not ashamed of it is pathetic. "Jenny From The Block" my arse.
  • Options
    Actually I don't think Mariah Carey is a very good singer at all. She's all technical show off and no passion. Soulless, gutless shite.
  • Options
    1983, i wasnt only replying to you, i was replying to everyone who quoted me and dissed my taste in music. I was just making a point that most people go on and on about music they like until it becomes popular then they get fickle and suddenly hate it, because all of a sudden its mainstream, they try to create this "cool" persona. i wasnt saying you specifically, was just alot of people were implying that.

I am all for people who genuinely like an artist for the music, even if do not like them, but considering the first reaction i got to saying i liked Xtina and Mariah, particularly Mariah's new collaberation stuff, was everyone telling me they were crap and i was wrong for liking it, i got a bit testy about it.

I dont like Mariah's attitude, and Avril said she was done with music for good i thought, but the music alone, i like. Thats what i was saying.
  • Options
    Regina. Spektor. :heart:
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of tracy chapman, and also some of sheryl crows stuff.
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:
    Regina. Spektor. :heart:
    OMG YES!!!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:

What the fuck?

Mariah Carey is completely without talent.

Gwen Stefani has done one decent song in her life- Don't Speak is a tune. Not done owt since.

Avril Lavigne should have been shot for how she murdered Tears in Heaven. That was a crime against humanity, and I don't know how War Child had the gall to release that pap into the charts.

It's got nothing to do with "image". The Sugababes are talented. Morcheeba are. Girls Aloud do great pop. Kylie is extremely talented. Madonna is. Sister Bliss has more talent in her little finger than someone like Mariah has in her whole body.

KT Tunstall is a talent. Katie Melua and Norah Jones are not. Dido is hit and miss.

Like who you want. But to say Tori Amos has no talent shows a complete lack of understanding of music.

Mary J Blige is without talent. Just like Missy Elliot, and the rest of them. Kelis, on the other hand, is great.

Being popular doesn't make something good. Otherwise Daniel O'Donnell would be a prodigy, and he chuffin well isn't. Switching genders, go and compare a nobhead like James Blunt to someone like Tom McRae.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Mary J Blige is without talent. Just like Missy Elliot,

You're way wrong on this one.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Main stream does not make somebody crap, why are you so defensive?
    And i like how you can be a hypocrit in one sentence Moonrat, saying that because i dont like an artist doesnt make it "crap" but then simultaneously saying any artist you dont like are rubbish as you implied with your quip about "shake your booty" songs.
    I said they objectify human relationships and women, I did not simply say they are 'crap' and not give a reason. I didn't say any artists that I don't listen to are rubbish either, each to their own. But I do believe a lot of "shake your booty" type songs are shallow.
    I like good songs, and the fact they are in the charts and lots of other people liek them too doesnt make them crap. Also, just because some one is off the radar and an outsider in music doesnt make them amazing and be all and end all. Most people love artists until they go mainstream then the next second they hate them as sellouts, its so frivelous. it is bestter to like music based on whether you like it or not.
    When somebody is unique and they sell out... They change their image to suit trendy fashion and their music to get more bucks... They are betraying themselves as artists. Some bands can be mainstream and amazing, look at Queen.

As for their ability to sing... Anyone can carry a tune, it's just that some people look sexier doing it than others. One of te most beautiful vocies I ever heard was a guy who sung Solitaire on karaoke, I was dumbstruck... But there's no way he's going to get a record deal because he doesn't look like Will Young or Gareth Gates.

The majority of music in the charts these days is not amazing, but then every era had its crap. The underground has a lot of opportunities for people who are intersted in something different and who don't want to listen to love songs 24/7... You have so many interesting underground artists who tackle issues such as rape, drugs, sexuality, left and right wing politics... Some people tell stories, other people empower, some are activists through music, You simly won't find this in the mainstream as a lot of it is too profound for a piss up on a saturday night.
  • Options
    Two that I haven't seen mentioned:-

Kim Wilde
    Kate Bush

I can understand some folk saying that Kim Wilde was manufactured, but she has a lovely, delicate voice and can do justice to very varying types of music. To me, she is the Brian May of female vocals - not the greatest in terms of sound or talent, but she can do a broad range of styles very well. Always entertaining to listen to, and leagues ahead of most of the 'modern' stuff I hear.

Kate Bush - if anyone has a bad word to say about her voice, I suggest you buy a proper stereo.

:)
  • Options
    I fucking depsise Avril Levigne or whatever you call her. As do I despise most chart music female signers.

I like Tracy Chapman, Suzanne Vega and Dolores O'Riordan...the girl from Cranberries.
  • Options
    I can't stand Christina or Britney. They both had their oh so innocent thing going on, they were ok then. But then they both rebelled and were like ''oh im so grown up, i can do whatever i like...i'm throwing my tits at the camera etc'' Christina does have a good voice though, but she only sells because people fancy her.
    Can't stand Ashlee simpson either or Hilary...they're repeats of Avril. Some of Avrils stuff was good, like her more meaningful songs such as I'm with you and Fall to pieces. She took the punk rebel thing too far though. But since she's been hanging with Paris Hilton she's turned into her. Gwen Stefani can't sing at all.
    Mariah has a strong voice, shame she wastes it on the crap shes doing now. Madonna was good....but shes just trying to keep up with the times. She's dull now. She needs to put a bit of weight on too, she looks unhealthy.
    I do like the girls from garbage and the cranberries. I liked Natalie Imbruglia when she first came out too.
  • Options
    First of all, im with you on Britney. She is not good at all! I dont care what Noel Gallagher says!

Second, Just because i listen to Tori Amos and hear the same old stuff, apart from one or 2 songs doesnt mean i have no understanding of music, it just means i can hear past the same stuff over and over.

Girls aloud do not produce good music at all, not anymore there. The last 4 of their pop singles all sounded identical. Their ballads were ok, i guess.

Mary J. Blige IS way talented! If any of them girls named was crap, Kelis is the worst of them all!

Madonna was very good...once...and also in the latter part of the 90's, now she is just such a money hog! She only releases music that is popular at the time and its been done before. Ray of Light was her last good and original piece of music i thought.

Mariah, last 3 singles have been awesome! Though i concede she used to be WAY better.

And yes...Norah Jones is not that good!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Second, Just because i listen to Tori Amos and hear the same old stuff, apart from one or 2 songs doesnt mean i have no understanding of music, it just means i can hear past the same stuff over and over.

I'd go with the former if you can't see her talent.

Which songs sound the same? Does Me and a Gun sound like Parasol? Don't be dim.
    Girls aloud do not produce good music at all, not anymore there. The last 4 of their pop singles all sounded identical.

And?

It's still good pop.
    Mary J. Blige IS way talented!

I'm with Jeremy Clarkson on this- its bilge. Har har.
    Mariah, last 3 singles have been awesome! Though i concede she used to be WAY better.

She used to be way better when she was in betty fords, and not inflicting her mirror-shattering voice on the rest of us.

It's great to have different tastes. But how anyone can say mariah carey has an ounce of talent in her body is beyond me. I can see the appeal of most artists, even if I don't like them, but Mariah is truly deeply awful.

I'm glad someone else agrees that Gwen Stefani's lack of ability is offensive to the ear. She sings like I do.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Kylie is extremely talented.

Agreed with your entire post, except for that part. Kylie cannot sing well, isn't a talented dancer and has little/no stage presence or charisma that I've ever noticed (and I went to see her on tour, for my sins). This is one of the greatest examples of people having the wool pulled over their eyes, imo. I feel bad to be saying negative things about her, but it always baffles me when Kylie is cited as "talented" when Avril, Britney etc are not. I think it's because she's older and seen to have "matured" professionally, because she was certainly the pop tartlet of her day - albeit in slightly more demure outfits.

Click to see more - I adore Kim Wilde. I saw her perform/met her when I was in Germany and she was fabulous, she's still very popular over there - just to perpetuate the stereotype of the Germans taking on all our least popular artists. Can't believe I forgot Kate Bush, either, she rocks.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    She took the punk rebel thing too far though

You gotta be kidding. She was nothing more than a corporate A&R man's wank fantasy.
  • Options
  • Options
    ^
    good call
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Definitely.

I'd add Shirley Manson of Garbage, and Charlotte Hatherley formerly of Ash.

And of course I'd have to add people like Alison Krauss and Natalie MacMaster.

all good artists, and the 1st two i've also fancied since i was a little kid :p
  • Options
    I have nothing to add, really, by and large I agree with those who are into Joni Mitchell, Janis Joplin, Dar Williams, Tracy Chapman... I could go on. And especially Tori Amos. Hell, yes!
  • Options
    ooh interesting, I hae so much to add, but will add it later. Must say Blige= good, Kelis=awful, Sarah Vaughan *thumbs up*. I also like to put Doris Day on on a Sunday.