Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Female Singers

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Just following on from Ballerina's thread, really.

Who do you think is corporate pap, and who do you think is the real deal?

Avril is the epitome of corporate pap trying to be something else. Tori Amos is the exact opposite of it, singing about what feminism and life what really is like.

So you can make me come? It doesn't make you Jesus.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can we make this a women in rock thread and females bands as well as singers? So we have -

Polly Jean Harvey
    Lydia Lunch
    Debbie Harry
    Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)
    Kim Deal (The Pixies)
    The Slits
    The Raincoats
    Siouxsie Sioux
  • Options
    Rock chicks...oh God why bother!

Look, whether corporate controlled or not Avril is entertaining.
    Mariah Carey, Christina Agulera and Gwen Stefani all have talent and powerful voices.
    Christina Milian is a new generation of performers for the black female community.
    and Artists like KT Tunstall, Katie Melua and so forth are just awesome!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Can we make this a women in rock thread and females bands as well as singers?

Definitely.

I'd add Shirley Manson of Garbage, and Charlotte Hatherley formerly of Ash.

And of course I'd have to add people like Alison Krauss and Natalie MacMaster.
    subject13 wrote:
    Mariah Carey, Christina Agulera and Gwen Stefani all have talent

No they don't.

Go and wash your mouth out with soap.

Gwen Stefani has a voice that sounds like a kitten being raped by Jeremy Beadle driving a lawnmower.

Lavigne has nice tits and a nice arse, that's all. She's great till she opens her gob and tries to sing.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Polly Jean Harvey
    :yes:

Only other one that comes to mind for me at the moment is Alanis Morissette, oh and Tori Amos from the stuff i've heard (but it's not a lot at that).
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Polly Jean Harvey

Absolutely, I worship her.

I really love Chan Marshall aka Cat Power, I saw her perform over a year ago and she still gives me shivers down my spine because she's such a phenomenal artist. Also, Fiona Apple, Aimee Mann, Chrissie Hynde, Sarah McLachlan, Emmylou Harris, Dar Williams, Suzanne Vega, Tracy Chapman, Joan Baez. I'd quite like to be Joni Mitchell, she's that good.

Avril Lavigne is the worst of all the puppets, I despise her. I think The Pussycat Dolls are as shitty and contrived as it gets, musically and in terms of marketing. I think the Sugababes are the best example of a new(ish), decent female-group. I also like KT Tunstall, she rawks. :thumb:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Girlschool are fucking ace.
  • Options
    I agree Tori Amos is the real thing. I also think quite highly of Mary J. Blige, always have done.
    Those who aren't - Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, half of those in the charts now...
  • Options
    YESYES!

PJ Harvey is LURVE! :D
    Her and Skin (from Skunk Anansie) are class I reckon. :)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Chrissie Hynde, Sarah McLachlan

YES!
    Avril Lavigne is the worst of all the puppets, I despise her.

I would despise her, but she's cute. Oh well. She can be watched in mute.
    I think the Sugababes are the best example of a new(ish), decent female-group.

They were better when Siobhan, the red-haired lass, wrote the songs. Overload is wonderful pop.
    I also like KT Tunstall, she rawks. :thumb:

Yes. Tori Amos is better though.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Mary J. Blige

Mary J. Bilge more like.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Rock chicks...oh God why bother!

Look, whether corporate controlled or not Avril is entertaining.
    Mariah Carey, Christina Agulera and Gwen Stefani all have talent and powerful voices.
    Christina Milian is a new generation of performers for the black female community.
    and Artists like KT Tunstall, Katie Melua and so forth are just awesome!

Oh dear.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Definitely.

I'd add Shirley Manson of Garbage, and Charlotte Hatherley formerly of Ash.

Garbage are crap I'm afraid. No score.
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    :yes:

Only other one that comes to mind for me at the moment is Alanis Morissette, oh and Tori Amos from the stuff i've heard (but it's not a lot at that).

Alanis Morissette is crap. No score.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Mary J. Bilge more like.

Mary J. Blige rocks. :cool:

Not very good at this are you Kermy? :p
  • Options
    Oh please, the amount of you people who are sheep, who all have the same opinion that a female singer can only be good if she is not popular with a mainstream audience is soooo pathetic. The fact they actually have natural talent with amazing voices means nothing, the fact they can write their own songs means nothing, all that matters is they are practically not heard of by a mainstream audience or are singers that pretend to be all unique an rebellious and different when they just are not!

Christina Aguilera actually can sing, writes all her own songs, and gives actually live performances with out any miming.
    Avril, does not have nice tits, she is a surf board from the front, iw as saying she releases catchy tunes.
    Mariah Carey can break glass with her voice and even Mary J. Blige said she revolutionised music for aspiring female singers.

Also, i dont know how any of you can diss singers like Joss Stone, KT Tunstall or Katie Melua! They are all great!

Finally, Tori Amos is fucking crap! She sounds bad! her songs sucks! She is fucking terrible!
  • Options
    Good point. Never thought if it like that. You're so right.
  • Options
    Hope Sandoval, Karen-O, Poly Styrene. I'd add these to the "real thing" list alongside many that have already been mentioned.

I'm suprised someone hasn't canned the Simpson Sisters yet. Or K8! (sic) from The Fight. "I can't be bovvered wiv my life-UH!" indeed.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    Poly Styrene.

Yep!

BGR-23.jpg

Can I also add Ari Up (although I did already mention The Slits)
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Oh please, the amount of you people who are sheep, who all have the same opinion that a female singer can only be good if she is not popular with a mainstream audience is soooo pathetic. The fact they actually have natural talent with amazing voices means nothing, the fact they can write their own songs means nothing, all that matters is they are practically not heard of by a mainstream audience or are singers that pretend to be all unique an rebellious and different when they just are not!

YOU'RE PATHETIC. The fame has gotten to them and the appeal just isn't there anymore.
    subject13 wrote:
    Christina Aguilera actually can sing, writes all her own songs, and gives actually live performances with out any miming.

She doesn't write all her own songs. She can sing, but doesn't really sing about anything real. :| Plus, she thinks she's Marilyn. Just do a Google Image search her at awards, candy floss hair, red lips. Psh. Wannabe. She always whinges about her induviduality but she's swinging from the tits of Marily Monroe - God rest her soul.
    subject13 wrote:
    Avril, does not have nice tits, she is a surf board from the front, iw as saying she releases catchy tunes.

You have seen her nowadays? She's "cleaned up" and turning into a spawn of Nicole Kidman becoming all demure because she wants to be seen more grown up, plus wants a few movie deals because she's getting married and has fuck all to sing about. She sung about shit, too and will continue to do so.
    subject13 wrote:
    Mariah Carey can break glass with her voice

She's the biggest diva ever. She was lovely circa 1996, when she had no tits and was still a brunette. Fuck, you saw her when she was signing cds in Virgin Megastore and someone held a straw to her lip. Bint. She also realises she's older so she's hollering at every Tom, Dick and Harry in the rap business to jive up her songs. Ever since "Honey" she's became a plank.
    subject13 wrote:
    and even Mary J. Blige said she revolutionised music for aspiring female singers.

She is the only one I can stand, really. I'll give you that everyone is capable of catchy songs, doesn't mean that they're the most fantastic musical piece on earth. There are FAR better people, like Lisa Loeb. She's seriously overlooked. I love her to bits. <3
    subject13 wrote:
    Also, i dont know how any of you can diss singers like Joss Stone, KT Tunstall or Katie Melua! They are all great!

Joss Stone is alright, she's a bit samey. KT Tunstall, well two of her songs are class and that's about it. She's not anything special. AND KATIE MELUA IS THE MOST BORING PERSON EVER and she's too repeatitive, her songs are also samey and all about pish. Honestly, I've seen aprons with more personality. I want to straighten her hair, her curls always look like they'd fall off or crumble in your hands. :|
    subject13 wrote:
    Finally, Tori Amos is fucking crap! She sounds bad! her songs sucks! She is fucking terrible!

Well I think you're crap! Because you use exclamations! Like, all the time! Plus, Tori Amos is the shit. Have you even heard ANY of her songs? She's like so fucking classic and is so capable of moving with the times. I love her heaps. Speaking of heaps, I've discovered much love of Imogen Heap, she's also fucking class. So different.
  • Options
  • Options
    Patti Smith
  • Options
    Grace Jones
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Alanis Morissette is crap. No score.
    I liked the Jagged Little Pill album, can't say I liked anything else she did.
  • Options
    Tracy Chapman, Alanis morisette, Joan armatrading, chrissie Hynde
  • Options
    Skunk Anansie - Bjork - Girl from garbage
  • Options
    oh :love: Bjork
  • Options
    Ani Difranco obviously... What a lady and her music is impressive. I mean seriously, you can't call her crap because she smells of fragrant good quality feminist love-the-world goodness. :)

Nellie McKay is hilarious and currently one of my favourite artists, she's more jazzy and tongue in cheek.

Kathleen Hannah of Le Tigre, Bikini Kill and Julie Ruin fame.

Skin, who is fucking eh live!

The Indigo Girls (guilty passion hehe)....

Janis Joplin was cool... Joni Mitchell has a beautiful voice although her folk is a bit sugar-coated.

Joan Jett whoooo yeah! :D

And L7!
  • Options
    I'd say a mixture. I love Gwen Stefani, but she isn't just manufacured pop, she did the whole underground Ska thing with no doubt - it just didn't get them anywhere. I agree with Katie Melua, Tori Amos, and what about Vanessa Carlton, and Sarah McLauchlan? Cindy Lauper, Enya, Annie Lennox, Eva Cassidy, that one with the really big eyes and bald head....
  • Options
    Ah Sinnead O'connor
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    :eek2:

Mariah Carey can break glass with her voice and even Mary J. Blige said she revolutionised music for aspiring female singers.
    Would any of these have record deals if they weren't good masturbation material for teenage boys?
    Because you don't like her doesn't make her 'crap'. Her music is good quality, maybe her lyrics are a bit too deep for you if you're in to the "shake your booty" type songs that objectify human relationships (and often women).

Few albums I've heard are as touching as Little Earthquakes.
  • Options
    AHH! Vanessa Carlton, she's quite good too.

And Missy Higgins. How could I forget MISSY!? GAH!