Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Abdomen Pain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any help would really be appreciated.
I suffer from IBS and I seem to have had a bad attack of it.
It started with slight cramps on Monday and it's slowly been getting worse.
To the point yesterday I was having cramps every 10 mins that made me nearly pass out. I went to the docs yesterday and he prescribed Buscopan. Examined my tummy and said the pain was coming from my gut, this area is swollen.(I had tried Codeine 15mg but they didnt work)
Buscopan worked for a few hours but my cramps started again last night.
I have now been waking up every hour with constant cramps through the night. It hurts to lie in any position but it eases slightly if i lift my legs to my chest or I sit down.
The pain is killing me and Idon't know what to do.
Has anyone experienced this?
Please help

Comments

• Options
    cant says i know anything about this tbh, but if the pain is that bad i'd go back to the doctor or maybe try and get down to a&e
  • Options
    i would phone your doctor as what he gave you might not be working.
  • Options
    yeh i had symptoms like that a few years ago, they took me right down to the hospital, so you should get it checked out from them!
  • Options
    get it checked. My ex had something like this, and because he had a history of IBS, they just told him it was that, even at the hospital......
    it turned out to be appendicitis, which they never did discover until later. Hes lucky his appendix didnt burst.
  • Options
    thanks guys. ive phone my friend with a car and hes coming to pick me up to take me to hospital.
  • Options
    good luck with it all
  • Options
    Hope everything turns out OK.

Just wanted to share something for the furture to help with the IBS... Theres a thing you can buy called Slippery Elm (can get at holland and barratt and places like that).... if you take that it's meant to really help (my mum has it for IBS and it's really helped).
  • Options
    I had pains like that (I too suffer from IBS) and it turned out that I had caught a very nasty virus called Campylobacter. It was horrific.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I hope your ok, I have IBS but not had an attack as bad as that thank god.
  • Options
    Good luck hun.
  • Options
    get it checked. My ex had something like this, and because he had a history of IBS, they just told him it was that, even at the hospital......
    it turned out to be appendicitis, which they never did discover until later. Hes lucky his appendix didnt burst.

that's pretty shocking. although my cousin had a very similar experience quite recently when she was rushed to A&E. after a few hours of my aunt insisting that they take her seriously, they stopped trying to say it was a tummy bug, and admitted her with 'gallstones'.

turns out it was an ectopic pregnancy that had burst and she was bleeding internally and nearly died.

so yeah, i would always ask for a second opinion if you're still worried after seeing a doctor. a lot of the time they are not right the first time (or the second).
  • Options
    I had pains like that (I too suffer from IBS) and it turned out that I had caught a very nasty virus called Campylobacter. It was horrific.

Ilora x
    I had that when I was a kid, that's when all my problems with IBS ever started.
    just waiting to go to hospital now as i managed to get some sleep and didnt want to be woken, its still the same so im deffo going now.
  • Options
    let us know how it goes/went
  • Options
    theres something called Colpermin, i think, and Colofac that you can get OTC for IBS. The first has peppermint oil in it, think theres a prescription one called Mintec too.
  • Options
    they put me on a drip and gave 30mg codeine. had an ECG, pulse test, blood pressure etc.
    the painkillers worked for a few hours but the pain kicked back in, hence why im up now :(
    i have been sick too but the doc warned i might be on the codeine.
    im at my wit's end now.
  • Options
    aww, sounds awful :( did they give you any tablets to take at home to ease the pain?
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your pain love *sends a healing thought and a prayer*
  • Options
    thanks guys, still not slept yet :(
    yeah they sent me with sme pills but they arent working now
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    thanks guys, still not slept yet :(
    yeah they sent me with sme pills but they arent working now

go back. ask them to check again. tell them the pills don't work and you're still in agony.

i know IBS can be painful sometimes, but it really shouldn't be this painful. even if it is just IBS, you deserve to have your pain managed properly.
  • Options
    I think you should go back if you're still just as bad... they should do a scan or something at least.
    Did they feel your tummy or anything? I'm just concerned because it sounds awfully like when I had a cyst... Don't want to scare you... I know IBS can be awful sometimes so it probably is just that.
    Please don't put up with the pain though. Keep us updated duck.
  • Options

Ilora x

at the risk of sounding pedantic, Campylobacter is actually a bacteria ;)

do you have a fever? did they take blood in the hospital?
  • Options
    Mez wrote:
    If you enjoy pedantry, the singular of bacteria is bacterium.
  • Options
    Mez wrote:

do you have a fever? did they take blood in the hospital?
    Yeah I caught it from some dodgey food in Morocco! Well they couldnt actually tell it was from that as it can take a while to get into your system, it could have been the flight food.

well I had the worst night ever....but the big cramps have stopped for now and ive managed to get some solid sleep.
    Yeah they took my blood.
    I'm going back to my docs on Monday but if the cramps start back up again im going back to hospital.
    Thanks for all the advice, really appreciated.
  • Options
    it does seem a lot of pain for IBS doesnt it? You guys are right. I never want to go through this again but im just a bit happier the stabbing pains have gone. my mum's on stand by to take me to the hospital if it picks up again.
    I'll keep you all informed. Thanks again everyone, very kind of u all.
  • Options
    Who cares whether it's a virus or it's bacteria, all I know is that I never want to experience it ever again, it was truly horrific. (I caught it from my local swimming pool). My local council actually sent me an info sheet on it which called it a disease :razz:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Well things calmed down a bit. My friend John brought me some chinese Hebral Pills round. He described my sympotns to a Chinese Medic and the stuff he was given is Shen Ling Bai ZHU Wan. I have to take 8, three times a day and they seem to be working. I ate a little and the cramps started sightly so I gave up but I don't really feel hungry anyway.
    My mum changed my bedsheets while i was in the bath. Bless my mum and John, both been running around after me and I've been so narky and snappy and impatient!
    I'll treat them to something when I'm better.
    Going to have a sip of Night Nurse in a mo and fingers crossed I'll get a good night's sleep.
    Thanks again peeps.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Well things calmed down a bit. My friend John brought me some chinese Hebral Pills round. He described my sympotns to a Chinese Medic and the stuff he was given is Shen Ling Bai ZHU Wan.

According to this website
    http://www.secara.com/site/Shen_Ling_Bai_Zhu_San.html

Cardamom Seeds is one of the ingredients, I remember my mum also used to give me that in water for tummy aches.

BTW I'm sure I heard cutting out milk helps IBS or at least getting the one that is extra filtered to get rid of the bacteria - you can tell which one it is cos it lasts about 10 days unlike normal milk which spoils very quickly cos there's so much bacteria in it.
  • Options
    its weird reading this thread because about an hour / an hour & a half ago i started getting shooting pains in my bowel / tummy whatever, i also suffer from IBS. I took 2 teaspoons of gaviscon which normally helps but that didnt work so i took 2 ibuprofen which i *think* is starting to kick in but i dont think im going to be able to lie down as, like VV whenevr i do it just gets worse, regardless of how i lie the pains are so bad!

Funnily enough i had just been wondering wha telse i could buy to help in this situation. Since changing my food intake these pains havent occurred for a long while now, seems eating veg everyday with someone small aside it helps my bowels move and takes away any and all pains i had been suffering.

I just dozed off whilst sitting at the pc, before writing this, something i never really do thats how tired i am!

I'm going to make a note of the recommended thigns folk have said here and go looking for them. This is the worst i have ever had these pains and they really are intolerable. I have trouble sleeping at the best of times and this really isnt helping tonight, considering im up early for work too!

I can feel a slight pain / cramp in my that kinda area so im afraid to try to lie down at the moment.

Doctors appointments round here are murder to get seeing that you get told to phone in early in the morning to be told it'll be at least 3 days before you are seen, it realyl doesnt help when you feel like this!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    If you enjoy pedantry, the singular of bacteria is bacterium.

...but the likelyhood of finding a single one on it's own is highly unlikely, unless you've isolated it on purpose ;)

...maybe it's gastric flu?...there is alot of it going around.

I managed to cure my IBS by cutting out all dairy products, and processed food- worth a try.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried Dida? thats for tummy problems