Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Who on here owns their own home??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Who owns there own home and how old are you?!

I want to buy a house but both me and fella cant afford it yet, so fustrating :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Well my fiancee is about 5 years from paying off his home and I live with him so it kind of counts :p and he is 28.

He put a 40% down payment when he bought it so that saved him thousands upon thousands of dollars of interest. He showed me the little chart of what you pay and the interest you pay each month, I could not believe how much interest there is.
  • Options
    I don't own my own home and dont think ill be able to afford to any time soon, crappy
  • Options
    I'm buying one soon, I'm 23.
  • Options
    There's no chance of me getting a mortgage at the moment but, I'm cooking something else up- basically by buying with someone else. If it doesn't work out, it's unlikely that I'l be able to buy for quite a while yet.- PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR - you get the idea. RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • Options
    Become a single mother on the dole.
  • Options
    unless we win the lottery there is not much chance of me and the boyfriend buying one for a while.
  • Options
    I do, Im 24 and this is our second place, a house. We bought or first place which was a flat when I was 19.
  • Options
    Dude- how the f*^& do you think a single mother on the dole could buy their own house?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Dude- how the f*^& do you think a single mother on the dole could buy their own house?
    what ^^ said
  • Options
    Ya, they take their £60 a week and invest it dontcha know. Play around with a few stocks and shares and bam, before you know it- they've bought the whole estate. lol
  • Options
    I do, Im 24 and this is our second place, a house. We bought or first place which was a flat when I was 19.

ooohhh, 2 by 24. I'm impressed. :D
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

exactly the point, they dont need to!!

They get housing off the council.
  • Options
    Ooh nice aspiration there- get a council house. Woot- aim high!

ETA: I don't think a council house counts in 'owning your own home'.
  • Options
    I'd say that we own our house, but to be honest the bank does.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Ooh nice aspiration there- get a council house. Woot- aim high!

ETA: I don't think a council house counts in 'owning your own home'.
    Obviously not if you're renting it. Although that can have its benefits. My mum has been with the same housing association since they started and she qualifies now for a big discount (about half price) if she choosed to buy.
  • Options
    I know someone who did that- got a pretty good deal too. I wasn't deriding living in a council house. It pisses me off when people think/assume that single mothers get an easy ride and have things handed to them on a plate. "ooh let's pop one out and get a free house" kinda attitude.
  • Options
    yup, i do.

we bought it last spring, i was 24 and the man 23.
  • Options
    I'm 21 and I bought my flat 3 years ago, when I was 18. My mum and dad guaranteured(sp?) my mortgage. Hopefully selling it by June so I can buy another one in Aberdeen and get away from this junkie-ridden scum pit.
  • Options
    i do but am in the process of selling it. Cant see myself being able to get back on the housing ladder for a while either unfortunatly.
  • Options
    me and my boyfriend own ours, well as someone said, the bank does :) we are both 22, moved here last year.
  • Options
    I do.

The bank doesn't own it. The bank has a legal charge on the house, meaning if I sell it they get their money first. It's a technical difference.

If we can afford one, anyone can.
  • Options
    Me and my boyfriend are in the process of buying a house...we are supposed to be moving into it on the 14th February but there have been so many complications in the chain that its hard to know for sure whether we'll be moving in then or not! I'm 22 (soon to be 23) and he's 24! Luckily we have a nice deposit so we will own approximately half the house but the mortgage company will own the rest!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    My PArents have like, £6,000 left on the Morgatge. How ya spell it ? I dunno.
  • Options
    I do.

No you don't.

You registered your house with the "state" and if there's a problem with it you'll have to argue in a "state" court. That means that the "state" owns your house. If you had alloidal title that would be different, as things stand you have second title to it.
  • Options
    No, I have first title to it. The state don't. The state is an arbiter, not an owner.

It could come with a big gun and take it off me, but it doesn't, therefore it doesn't have first title. Do keep up.
  • Options
    Nope.

I'd need my salary doubled to even think about buying anywhere. Even in this deprived shithole. And renting leaves you with little chance to save a deposit, anyway.
    Great fun.
  • Options
    No, I have first title to it. The state don't. The state is an arbiter, not an owner.

No, the crown has first title to everything. "No one can decide about that which he does not own". The fact that you have to apply to someone else for your alleged "first title" proves that they control what happens to it. You merely have equitable possesion.

If you truly had first title then they couldn't charge you taxes, make up planning regulations for you to follow, pass a law that kicks you out and builds a supermarket where it is etc etc. Same thing as with your car. Do keep up.
    It could come with a big gun and take it off me, but it doesn't, therefore it doesn't have first title.

It doesn't have to as it already owns the house. Oh, and you.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I do.

The bank doesn't own it. The bank has a legal charge on the house, meaning if I sell it they get their money first. It's a technical difference.

If we can afford one, anyone can.

Depends where you live tho...
  • Options
    And how many earners there are in your family and how many dependants... A young couple with no kids will have more expendable than a remarried couple with seven kids between them.
  • Options