Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

stopwar coalition

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
heya everyone.
check out www.stopwar.org.uk
great site with a great cause.

Decs

ps hope to see you all at the demo on 18th march :D

Comments

• Options
    eat shit hippy.

....unless you plan on posting more, in which case, you're cool by me.
  • Options
    woah...whats ur problem?
  • Options
    sorry, thought you were just spaming. My bad.
  • Options
    hmmmm lol, thats cool.
  • Options
    Decers wrote:
    heya everyone.
    check out www.stopwar.org.uk
    great site with a great cause.

Decs

ps hope to see you all at the demo on 18th march :D

See you there sweetheart! :thumb:
  • Options
    I have no objection to those that oppose our involvement in the Iraq war but the Stop the War coalition are a vile organisation.
  • Options
    why?
  • Options
    why's that then?
  • Options
    Is there any lets start more wars coalitions?...I wanna go to one of their rallies
  • Options
    yep its called "george bush and his cronies coalition"!
  • Options
    come to the US, we call them "patriotic marches"
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Is there any lets start more wars coalitions?...
    yeah but only muslims are welcome.
  • Options
    Decers wrote:
    yep its called "george bush and his cronies coalition"!

Great...where can I sign up?
  • Options
    googleit...sure u could find sum interesting results hehe
  • Options
    I'm too impatient...I just wanna sign up right now, get my rifle and kill some Arabs!
  • Options
    well that aint very nice is it!
  • Options
    But they attack our freedom and liberties? Oh if George Bush was here, boy I'd give him such a big hug...and a bag of pretzels. ;)
  • Options
    why?

As pointed out by Nick Cohen from the Observer many times some of the leading positions in the Stop the War Coalition are occupied by people connected to ‘Islamofascist’ organisations – there’s an indisputable contradiction in an organisation that’s calling for human rights being so close to people that call for the death penalty for homosexuality. The movement has to a large extent been hijacked; the purpose of the group was supposedly to oppose the Iraq war – it’s therefore a little puzzling that amongst any Stop the War demo there are dozens of anti-Israel slogans, Palestinian flag and the odd Israeli flag in flames.

And if hopelessly undermining themselves by hypocritically embracing extreme right wing religious nuts wasn’t enough the ‘anti-war movement’ made George Galloway their poster kid; with their Vice-President being Galloway I can’t really take the Stop the War Coalition particularly seriously.
  • Options
    As pointed out by Nick Cohen from the Observer many times some of the leading positions in the Stop the War Coalition are occupied by people connected to ‘Islamofascist’ organisations – there’s an indisputable contradiction in an organisation that’s calling for human rights being so close to people that call for the death penalty for homosexuality. The movement has to a large extent been hijacked; the purpose of the group was supposedly to oppose the Iraq war – it’s therefore a little puzzling that amongst any Stop the War demo there are dozens of anti-Israel slogans, Palestinian flag and the odd Israeli flag in flames.

And if hopelessly undermining themselves by hypocritically embracing extreme right wing religious nuts wasn’t enough the ‘anti-war movement’ made George Galloway their poster kid; with their Vice-President being Galloway I can’t really take the Stop the War Coalition particularly seriously.
    :thumb:
  • Options

For once I agree with you - although I do have to say that Nick Cohen's argument was a tad confused - he's conflating the leaders of the Stop the War Coalition with the hundreds of thousands of ordinary people who have campaigned against the war.
  • Options
    :thumb:

You've been making a lot of sense lately MR! :p
  • Options
    See mr, I told you you were a tory
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    it must ...be the blairite kind though ...please!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    For once I agree with you - although I do have to say that Nick Cohen's argument was a tad confused - he's conflating the leaders of the Stop the War Coalition with the hundreds of thousands of ordinary people who have campaigned against the war.

True. Plenty of the people on the Stop-the-War marches, especially for the ‘million’ march were just ordinary people expressing their opposition to the war. There were war veterans, housewives, school kids, etc and you can't really take that away from the anti-war movement but for the organisers and the real hardcore of the anti-war movement and the Stop the War Coalition in particular Nick Cohen has a good point imo.
  • Options

well damn. I never knew that, course I didn't know about the Stop the War Coalition until this thread either, but still.

Ok Decer, what have you to say in response.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    someone says i'm talking sense ...and blag decides it's cos i'm a tory!
    i love it ...
  • Options
    it must ...be the blairite kind though ...please!

The Blairite kind where you don’t really know what you’re getting and that tells you what you can and can’t do; the Blairite kind that forces urban values on rural people like yourself MR – is that really worse than Tories that are happy to just let people get on with it?
  • Options
    The Blairite kind where you don’t really know what you’re getting and that tells you what you can and can’t do; the Blairite kind that forces urban values on rural people like yourself MR – is that really worse than Tories that are happy to just let people get on with it?
    ouch!
  • Options
    well damn. I never knew that, course I didn't know about the Stop the War Coalition until this thread either, but still.

I think (but don't know for sure) the hypocrisy/contradiction thing while largely applicable to the European anti-war movement isn't really with the US equivalent.
  • Options
    yeah pretty much, only people who burn the Isreali flag round here are WP folks.