Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How much do you REALLY know about Islam?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just want to hear everyones views.

From what you DO know about Islam..... where did you get the information from? Did you study the source, ie the Koran and Hadiths? Or do you believe what you hear in the media? Or what you read in books?

Remember... I am asking what you know about ISLAM... not Muslims.
The majority of Muslims are ignorant about Islam themselves.

Comments

• Options
    I know little of Islam as i have not read its holy book and RS lessons on it, though numerous, were long ago...

I do know one interesting fact about the Profit Mohammed i read a few weeks back, which was that he kept slaves...and was responsible for personally beheading some several hundred people.

But i know nothing of Islam except its a religion...
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Profit Mohammed

Before or after tax?

I know fuck all about any religion, really.
  • Options
    perhaps not everyone wants to fucking know! or any other religion for that matter.
  • Options
    I know a lot more about Christianity than Islam, I've never read much into Islam.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I know a lot more about Christianity than Islam, I've never read much into Islam.
    Ditto. I know the principles of Islam, but have no experience of it beyond the basic beliefs.

I wouldn't criticise anyone in this country for not knowing about Islam, but when the papers spout out lies and stereotypes about Islam (and Christianity for that matter), I think it is right to be vocal about it.
  • Options
    btw....... If you 'don't care' about this topic then please don't post in this thread.

I don't mean to be rude.... its just that I want to keep this thread clean. :)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I wouldn't criticise anyone in this country for not knowing about Islam, but when the papers spout out lies and stereotypes about Islam (and Christianity for that matter), I think it is right to be vocal about it.
    ^ What kinda 'lies' about Islam do you think the papers are publishing?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I know not much in detail fo many religions. I know quite a bit about Christianity (I went to a Christian school. Gay.), Islam, and Judaism. Enough to know whats its about.

So yeah. A bit. Don't care much, religion is crap, imho.
  • Options
    I learned about islam in middle school :yes:

besides, I didn't think non-muslims were allowed to view the Koran ?
  • Options
    I cannot claim to be an expert on Islamic teachings. Although I do know that many Muslims use them to justify virulent homophobia, extreme anti-Semitism and the most totalitarian disrespect for free speech. I know that there are a worryingly high number of Muslims who follow a backwards and medieval doctrine that justifies the most totalitarian restrictions on fundamental rights such as freedom of expression; we saw Muslims following this dangerous and hateful doctrine in the actions of some Muslims towards Salmon Rushdie and now in the disgusting reaction of some Muslims to these cartoons. The violent and aggressive rhetoric of a significant number of Muslims is unacceptable and simply incompatible with the values of a civilised liberal democracy. Thankfully alongside the large number of fundamentalists there are moderate Muslims whose beliefs pose no threat to basic democratic support for freedom of expression and rejection of homophobia and anti-Semitism.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    I learned about islam in middle school :yes:

besides, I didn't think non-muslims were allowed to view the Koran ?
    Well it's available in all good book shops.

Seriously, if non-Muslims couldn't view the Koran, then how could anyone ever become a Muslim?
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    perhaps not everyone wants to fucking know! or any other religion for that matter.
    what's the matter with knowing a little bit about religion? It just makes them all the easier to laugh at.
  • Options
    Well it's available in all good book shops.

Seriously, if non-Muslims couldn't view the Koran, then how could anyone ever become a Muslim?

hmmm very good point :lol:

I'm sure there was something scripture-like non-muslims weren't allowed to get their hands on. But I honestly cant remember what...

atleast the writings are published, unlike for scientology
  • Options
    If I remember anyone can touch or read the Koran, but you're supposed to do it with respect.

Also strictly speaking unless you can read Arabic you won't read the Koran, but an English translation of it. The Koran is the word of God and the only official version is Arabic. Unlike the Bible which is inspired by God and doesn't have an official version (eg look at the King James vs the Good News and see all the differences)
  • Options
    I'm still in the Book of the Cow, because I have a reasonably intellectually demanding job, and the last thing I want to be doing in my free time is studying. Maybe I'll wait until Ramadan.

However it is basically another judaic religion, with all the weaknesses inherant to that strain, with some surprisingly blatant "this doesn't apply to me" from the author.
  • Options
    What job do you do Big Gay?
  • Options
    I haven't read the Koran, are women allowed? I heard that if you're on your period you're not allowed in a mosque or to touch it or something... Is that true?

But no... Islam is something I've not yet studied.
  • Options
    The only religion I know enough about to talk about is Christianity, and even my knowledge of that isn't as good as I'd thought, as my flatmate and Christian Union member keeps proving to me. She is trying to convert me, bought me a bible and everything.

I think we studied Sikhs in primary school, and Judaism a bit in secondary school, but only as a comparison to christianity. RE was more about life issues, discussing abortion and euthanasia etc.

Since the media usually displays only the 'bad' stuff, like those pictures at the start of this thread, they don't generally give a balanced view of Islam, or any religion.
  • Options
    The only religion I know enough about to talk about is Christianity, and even my knowledge of that isn't as good as I'd thought, as my flatmate and Christian Union member keeps proving to me. She is trying to convert me, bought me a bible and everything.
    You should return the favour, for the sake of fairness and balance:

1413434819.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

For sale at Amazon and all good bookshops for around £14.99
  • Options
    :lol: I would, but I think she might cry!
  • Options
    :lol: I would, but I think she might cry!

Tell her that if she has the nerve to convert you then you have the right to try and convert her. Give her the book just to piss her off.
  • Options
    She's nice really.
    Bloody Christian Union isn't happy unless they are trying to convert people!
  • Options
    If someone handed me a Bible I'd throw it in the air and kick it at them, same with the Koran.
  • Options
    But she gave it as a gift, I wouldn't be so rude as to throw it back at her! I'm happy she has her faith and that's all good, but I wish she would stop trying to get me into it. I am HAPPY being ignorant about things! She is quite hard work though, I have to be very moral around her in case she gets upset with me! I didn't realise quite how immoral I was in her eyes. Whoops. Taking her to see Corpse Bride wasn't the best idea either, too many death-contradictions!
  • Options
    Sorry, but I wouldn't change the way I am just to please someone else. If she doesn't like who you are then she can F off and if she doesn't have the right to try to convert you.
  • Options
    I don't mind really, it's not working anyway. I don't really express my views in the flat anyway, this is what thesite's for! I try and avoid the topic of religion because it makes me cringe when she talks about it. Maybe I'm just weird!
  • Options
    I love talking about religion to Christains. Outside our Union they give tea and biscuits to people coming out of it. I regularly sit down and have long chats with them about my views. Maybe you should talk to her about it, you'll both learn something.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Tell her that if she has the nerve to convert you then you have the right to try and convert her. Give her the book just to piss her off.

That's fair enough. Thankfully, a friend of mine isn't like that - he just converts me to some obscure or uncool bands...
  • Options
    She's nice really.
    Bloody Christian Union isn't happy unless they are trying to convert people!

:lol: was at aparty and one of them was trying to convert me, even drunk didn't succeed as I'm not a Christian and have different beliefs but gotta agree they're all so nice! Every Christian I ever come across is scarily friendly, I dunno maybve I’ve only met the happy clappy bunch but they're still nice and all.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote:
    I just want to hear everyones views.

From what you DO know about Islam..... where did you get the information from? Did you study the source, ie the Koran and Hadiths? Or do you believe what you hear in the media? Or what you read in books?

Remember... I am asking what you know about ISLAM... not Muslims.
    The majority of Muslims are ignorant about Islam themselves.
    I lived with a muslim a couple of years back who would talk constantly about Islam and I believe him to be a fairly reliable source.

I have looked briefly at the Qu'ran (an English translation) but have not read it cover to cover.

I think that Islam is widely misunderstood although a big cause of that is people who say they are Muslims and then do things that they ought not e.g. suicide bombing.

Have you read the Bible?

ETA: People like Dave777 are another example of those who give Islam a bad name.