Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Smear tests

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my_name wrote:
    Is that just the option most people take, or is it the only option (like no gynos) I dont think GP's do that here... I"ll have to ask my mother :p
    I think it would be ackward to have the same person testing me for strep thats looking into my vagina :p
    Generally you only go to a gynocologist if there is a problem I think.

Not just for a regular smear test. But most people will go to the nurse at the doctors surgery (who -don't forget- is also who deals with contraception in the UK)
  • Options
    ooo crazy stuff, learn something new every day. I got told to go to my gyno when I went in and asked for bc long ago. changes changes changes. your like my little foreign teacher.
  • Options
    tbh i've never know what a nurse at a doctors surgery actually does.
  • Options
    its just the nurse that showed us at school made it sound as if they crank it right open :nervous:
    she said there were different sized ones too, i can't remember if the one she showed us was metal or plastic
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    its just the nurse that showed us at school made it sound as if they crank it right open :nervous:

they don't.

it's a very un-dramatic procedure.
  • Options
    The "clamp" is a speculum , it only opens you up enough for them to be able to get a sample. That photo looks like a cross between a gun and a duck right enough :/

They used to be horrible cold metal things but they're made of plastic now (well at least in my nhs area) and that makes a difference, believe me, I had enough of them shoved up my hoochie coochie when I was pregnant :yeees:

:lol:

is that what they look like?!!

i didn't realise i was having that shoved up me, probably a good job really.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    tbh i've never know what a nurse at a doctors surgery actually does.
    They do:

contraception inc. the pill and the MAP
    smear tests
    blood pressure checks
    removal of stitches
    changes of dressing
    immunisations for children
    travel vaccines and maleria advice
    flu jabs
    ear wax removal (syrringe- sp?)

and lots of other things.
  • Options
    Ear wax removal? :lol:
    Are people getting that lazy they can't do it themselves on a regular basis?