Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help me get rid of this bloody cold!

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
I have it for a week, and i cant breath! help...i cant think what else to do! i have decongestant tablets and vicks, what else is there? oh and what gets rid of a sore nose?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    rub aloe vera vaseline into dry nose bits

eat loads of fruit
  • Options
    I find paracetamol helps (as long as there isn't any in the decongestant) along with plenty of rest, fluids, and tissues...try those kleenex balsam ones :yes: Other than that you just have to let your body sort it out
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've been really ill this week to, though without the runny nose bit. Just a bad chest and a really severe temperature.
    I've just been necking pills during the day and drinking whisky, honey and lemon before bed.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Vitamin C, for sure. Either through citrus fruit or capsules, or both!

Sounds a bit weird, but Sudocrem or any other "nappy rash" cream is excellent for sore noses and any other kind of dry/raw skin too. I'd recommend putting it on before bed (or when you don't have to face the world) to avoid weird looks.

Feel better soon all you ill folks! :)
  • Options
    I've got a cold atm as well, which I've passed on apparantely. The best things I've ended up using were: Benilyn (sp?) nasal inhaler (better than using Olbas oil) and some cold & flu hot lemon drink. Sleep might be good as well but I haven't been able to sleep properly because I keep coughing.
  • Options
    but I haven't been able to sleep properly because I keep coughing.
    snap! thats the most annoying bit, and not being able to breathe means i cant drop off, but im off to get all of the above mentioned bits and bobs, and fingers crossed! thanks
  • Options
    Yeah definitely vit C. Eat as much as you can without getting diarhea! Seriously, it helps a lot, a dose of up to 3-4000mg will do a world of good.
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    snap! thats the most annoying bit, and not being able to breathe means i cant drop off, but im off to get all of the above mentioned bits and bobs, and fingers crossed! thanks

Breathe through your mouth then - this is what I did. However, it always gives me a blocked nose.
  • Options
    Breathe through your mouth then - this is what I did. However, it always gives me a blocked nose.

Only problem is, that makes eating a real bitch! :yuck:
  • Options
    it makes me really thirsty, and it feels funny, i dont know if its dust (but yes i do polish, im not that icky) or what. but its better than not sleeping i suppose! :razz: and i like to eat wooooooooah, i just wont breathe for that bit haha!
  • Options
    Only problem is, that makes eating a real bitch! :yuck:

I know.

One question, is there a certain amount of days I can take Benylin for? All it says on the box/bottle is the maximum dose per day. (24 hours)