Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ian Blair on Soham and media hysteria with white murders

So the Met Chief has caused a bit of a storm with his latest comments. He has accused the media of being institutionally racist (a term that won't be alien to the Met Police, incidentally), and of creating a monumental fuss over the Soham murders.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4653130.stm

Well it's not often that I find myself in agreement with Ian Blair, but I think he was spot on.

- The media is obsessed with the murder of white, well-to-do people far more than it is with people of other races/poorer backgrounds (Chelsea banker last year and that lawyer in North London a couple of weeks ago are two shining examples).

- The Soham murders, tragic as they were, became an absolutely appalling and extremely distasteful media wankfest they likes of which we had not seen since the death of the Queen of Hearts.

The only criticism I'd have towards Ian Blair is that he should perhaps have suggested that it was the police itself that sometimes led the way for the press reported crime (i.e. a black man gets murdered and the police automatically concludes it must be black-on-black drug related, as it did with Stephen Lawrence). But other than that, spot on comments.

I see that the tabloid press is up in arms this morning... :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd agree with you Aladdin, it seems strange he has said sorry for this and not for telling out right lies about the shooting incident on the Tube.
  • Options
    Er, glad he's apologised because what he said on Soham was absolute bollocks and a real slap in the face not only for the parents, but everyone who knew them or was involved in the case. he can say less about the tube shooting because they're still may be a prosecution.

His wider case was bollocks as well. The Soham case was one of the nastiest murders in recent years - two pre-teen girls are abducted, almost certainly sexually assaulted and then murdered. With respect to some of the cases he mentioned which didn't get as much publicity they were no where near as evil (though I imagine that the relatives of those murdered grieve just as much).

It also ignores all the publicity over Anthony Walker, or the girls murdered in the New Years eve shooting, Victoria Climbie and a host of other murders.

The media will report based on several things - how much news is happening already, how quickly a suspect is arrested (the quicker an arrest is likely the less the media report), the location (murders in London get much more coverage than a murder in County Down) and also depending on the circumstances of the murder - a man knifed to death on the streets for no real motive in always more newsworthy than someone who's died in an drunken argument outside a pub.

For every murder of a black or aisian which isn't well reported there's also murders of whites which are hardly mentioned.
  • Options
    NQA, I tend to agree with you actually ...
  • Options
    I'm sorry. Children are sometimes killed. Women are sometimes abducted, raped and killed. The media circus surrounding Soham was completely and utterly disproportionate compared with any other case, double murder or not, pretty young girls or not.

There was continuous live feeding from Soham, for virtually two weeks on end, even when there was practically nothing new to report. TV vans in the town square, choppers flying above town all day long... I understand the locals were not exactly pleased with it all... :rolleyes:

Ian Blair has just been guilty of saying aloud what millions of people up and down the country were thinking or talking quietly amongst themselves. Just the same thing as it happened with the death of Diana- something that today most people are happy to agree with, even if at the time even the most gentle suggestion that the nation was going OTT would have had you lynched.

And yes, there is well documented obsession with murder of white ABC1s and/or "popular, pretty young women with everything to live for" (especially if they're blonde, for some bizarre reason) amongst the media. Those living in London will be familiar with the Evening Substandard running commentary on the Chelsea banker murder trial. The paper devoted the front page for it virtually every day for the duration of the trial (often with not much to say at all). Compare that with non-high flying, non-City boss, non-Chelsea resident ordinary mortals who also get murdered by burglars. You'd be lucky to find anything bigger than a page 5 two-column mention.

The murder of the North London lawyer a few weeks ago is another such example.

And so it was the murder of that woman in Wimbledon Park a few years ago, which led to an incredible witch-hunt of the suspect by the media, who happened to be innocent after all. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I completely agree with you Aladdin.

How many working class black kids do you see on the news for weeks and weeks who hae been murdered? The only report I can recall was the headless corpse that was found and I'm sure if the head were still on the corpse and if they couldn't pin the blame on Vodou/Witchcraft/Satanism (I remember which one it was in this case) it probably wouldn't have been on the news. At the end of the day a life is a life.
  • Options
    But then compare murder coverage with the amount of coverage car crash victims get, none.

There are certain things which tickle the public and largely thats random attacks (idealy by someone quite different) and attacks on bright young good looking kids.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm sorry. Children are sometimes killed. Women are sometimes abducted, raped and killed. The media circus surrounding Soham was completely and utterly disproportionate compared with any other case, double murder or not, pretty young girls or not.

There was continuous live feeding from Soham, for virtually two weeks on end, even when there was practically nothing new to report. TV vans in the town square, choppers flying above town all day long... I understand the locals were not exactly pleased with it all... :rolleyes:

But you're getting two things intertwiened which are completely different. The fact that there was plenty of coverage and press intrusion has nothing to do with race. I'm actually struggling to think of a comparable case - when two young girls were kidnapped and murdered at the same time.

Plus it happened in August which is tradtionally a slow news month so the media do tend to concentrate on smaller stories then.
    Ian Blair has just been guilty of saying aloud what millions of people up and down the country were thinking or talking quietly amongst themselves. Just the same thing as it happened with the death of Diana- something that today most people are happy to agree with, even if at the time even the most gentle suggestion that the nation was going OTT would have had you lynched.

No Blair was talking bollocks and more importantly trying to tailor the news agenda so it fits his purpose. Out of everyone here I thought you would be one of the less keen about the media reporting as the police want them to.
    And yes, there is well documented obsession with murder of white ABC1s and/or "popular, pretty young women with everything to live for" (especially if they're blonde, for some bizarre reason) amongst the media. Those living in London will be familiar with the Evening Substandard running commentary on the Chelsea banker murder trial. The paper devoted the front page for it virtually every day for the duration of the trial (often with not much to say at all). Compare that with non-high flying, non-City boss, non-Chelsea resident ordinary mortals who also get murdered by burglars. You'd be lucky to find anything bigger than a page 5 two-column mention.

Anyone killed by a burgarlar in their own home will get plenty of media attention, becuase its rare.

Of course, we could do a lot more reporting onb young Asian women murdered by their own families in 'honour' killings. Or about that young black men are most likely to be killed by other young black men - often gang related. But then you'd be the first up screaming racism at the media then.

And so it was the murder of that woman in Wimbledon Park a few years ago, which led to an incredible witch-hunt of the suspect by the media, who happened to be innocent after all. :rolleyes:

Hang on, but then there was the witch hunt after the murder of Stephen Lawrence - the suspects then have never been convicted. and for similar reasons as the Wimbledon Park murder - police cock-ups which made a preosecution difficult.

And if the media ignore murders of blacks - why was there all the coverage over Anthony Walker or Daimoila Taylor? Could it be becuase some murders are more newsworthy than others.

I've known plenty of white protestant males murdered in Northern Ireland who got a short paragraph in the newspaper - if they were lucky. was this because the papers are biased against white Protestants* or because another policeman or soldier murdered was not big news?

*OK with the exception of that racist rag the Guardian.
  • Options
    If the media coverage of other murders was equal, then shitehouses like Blair wouls either be able to -

1) Grab the first parolee they saw and fit them up (if it was reduced)

2) Have to do everything properly and by the book (if media coverage was increased)

Fuck alone knows why he's wanking on about this, but it's definitiely a herald for some greater police power or a call for the media to not watch the police go about their business. Expect another couple of stories in the next few weeke, a minor crisis invented from nothing, questions in parliament and some legislation.

Thta's if his masters in No.10 haven't moved onto some other sheme, like making us all wear the same shoe size "because it's fair" or the mandatory painitng of smileyfaces on the front of trains because Tony;s missus has taken a huge bribe from the fat controller to do lectures on Sordor.
  • Options
    Hopefully Sir Ian's apology has now drawn a line under the whole affair and the Met can get back to important police business like persecuting Kate Moss and shooting tube passengers in the head.
  • Options
    I am with Aladdin for a change in this. It was tragic and terrible but the coverage was unnecessary sensational. Every day and evening those girls were on the news, surely the parents and families and friends must have found it difficult.

Though i think the phrasing of Ian Blair was a little poor, he could have said it better.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    But you're getting two things intertwiened which are completely different. The fact that there was plenty of coverage and press intrusion has nothing to do with race. I'm actually struggling to think of a comparable case - when two young girls were kidnapped and murdered at the same time.
    I can think of a few cases in the last few years where a mother or father have killed two, three, or even four of their kids by drowning them or locking them in the car with them and connecting a hose to the exhaust pipe.

A crime far more horrifying than Soham I should think, and one that gets not even 10% of the coverage overall.
    Plus it happened in August which is tradtionally a slow news month so the media do tend to concentrate on smaller stories then.
    That might have been a factor but I fear it would have still been rather gigantic any other time of the year

No Blair was talking bollocks and more importantly trying to tailor the news agenda so it fits his purpose. Out of everyone here I thought you would be one of the less keen about the media reporting as the police want them to.
    It is quite possible Blair had an ulterior motive, lying dodgy character as he is, but the points he raised were very valid.

Anyone killed by a burgarlar in their own home will get plenty of media attention, becuase its rare.
    Not to the extent the City banker got, by any stretch of the imagination.
    Of course, we could do a lot more reporting onb young Asian women murdered by their own families in 'honour' killings. Or about that young black men are most likely to be killed by other young black men - often gang related. But then you'd be the first up screaming racism at the media then.
    No I wouldn't. All I want is a balance and mature approach to all murders, instead of tabloid-driven (selective) sensationalism.

Hang on, but then there was the witch hunt after the murder of Stephen Lawrence - the suspects then have never been convicted. and for similar reasons as the Wimbledon Park murder - police cock-ups which made a preosecution difficult.
    Actually the circumstances were rather different. For starters the five "lads" in question are about as innocent as O.J. Simpson, and the Lawrence case was blundered because of institutionalised racism in the police. The Wimbledon Park murder case never really got a solid suspect. But the media demanded action, and the suspect the police got was a very convenient scapegoat. So much so that they sent an undercover policewoman to meet him, seduce him, shag him and attempt to make him fantasise about murdering a woman, so they could present that as proof.

Hideous as the actions of the police were in that case, you could have argued that had the media not gone into their predictable "pretty blonde woman killed outrage" frenzy for months on end the old bill wouldn't have been so pressurised to make an arrest at any costs.
    And if the media ignore murders of blacks - why was there all the coverage over Anthony Walker or Daimoila Taylor? Could it be becuase some murders are more newsworthy than others.
    And who decides which murders are more newsworthy? Isn't that the point Blair was making?
    I've known plenty of white protestant males murdered in Northern Ireland who got a short paragraph in the newspaper - if they were lucky. was this because the papers are biased against white Protestants* or because another policeman or soldier murdered was not big news?

*OK with the exception of that racist rag the Guardian.
    Is that tongue-in-cheek or do you actually think the Guardian is racist? :confused:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

exactly, someone was murdered over the road from me during xmas, only foudn out a couple of days when police were questioning our street
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I can think of a few cases in the last few years where a mother or father have killed two, three, or even four of their kids by drowning them or locking them in the car with them and connecting a hose to the exhaust pipe.

A crime far more horrifying than Soham I should think, and one that gets not even 10% of the coverage overall.

That might have been a factor but I fear it would have still been rather gigantic any other time of the year

Totally different case. Murders by family are the most common type of murdeer and the least newsworthy. Probably a lot of these families were white as well.

Not to the extent the City banker got, by any stretch of the imagination.

You must be reading different coverage to me.
    No I wouldn't. All I want is a balance and mature approach to all murders, instead of tabloid-driven (selective) sensationalism.

The media report on things which are newsworthy. That includes murder as well. Not all murders are equally newsworthy- going back to your first example husbands killing their children because their estranged from their wives get very little publicity because unfortunately it is more common. A young lad getting murdered by thugs is rare and then gets more news.

Actually the circumstances were rather different. For starters the five "lads" in question are about as innocent as O.J. Simpson, and the Lawrence case was blundered because of institutionalised racism in the police. The Wimbledon Park murder case never really got a solid suspect. But the media demanded action, and the suspect the police got was a very convenient scapegoat. So much so that they sent an undercover policewoman to meet him, seduce him, shag him and attempt to make him fantasise about murdering a woman, so they could present that as proofHideous as the actions of the police were in that case, you could have argued that had the media not gone into their predictable "pretty blonde woman killed outrage" frenzy for months on end the old bill wouldn't have been so pressurised to make an arrest at any costs.

Either we're talking about different cases or your remembering differently from me. He was a solid suspect - the police haven't got the resources to send undercover officers to look at every single bloke with slightly dodgy habits. I've got to be careful, what with the laws of libel and all, but every thing I saw about that case reminded me that someone being found innocent by the courts is not the same as saying they didn't do it. But we're slightly off-topic.
    And who decides which murders are more newsworthy? Isn't that the point Blair was making?

he seemed to be making the point that the reporting was racist. I'm disputing that. I'm arguing that murders are reported on for different reasons - which includes how common that type of murder, what else is in the news etc, etc.
    Is that tongue-in-cheek or do you actually think the Guardian is racist?

Slightly tongue in cheek. However I have seen Guardian articles which if they'd replaced Protestant with Black the writer would have been sacked on the spot (I hope).
  • Options
    The Soham murders would have got as much media attention were the victims two black girls instead of two white girls. Ian Blair didn't think about that.

Why can’t the Met Chief do his job – and discuss how he’s going to make London safer instead of making pointless and irrelevant remarks?

Ian Blair isn’t up to the job anyway, the sooner the man gets the sack the better.
  • Options
    Ian Blair isn’t up to the job anyway, the sooner the man gets the sack the better.
    I think that's something we all agree on :yes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I think that's something we all agree on :yes:

Given that he’s not even been in the post long yet has made some pretty major mistakes and retained the seemingly unconditional support of Ken and the government you wonder if there’s something we don’t know about? Or if there’s just nobody else around up to the job.
  • Options
    the pc obsessed prick should keep his mouth shut and get on with his job, reducing crime, not whining on about racism. i cant imagine what he was thinking connecting that drivel with the soham murders. i hope the girls parents call for him to resign immediately.
  • Options
    Yeah, who cares about racism! Lets have more of this!

Brixton%20riots%2081.jpg

time7k.gif
  • Options
    Not a fukin clue, the soham murders were followed intesnely because the girls were beleived to be alive when the story broke . David beckham made a public appeal for them to contact their parents, the police actively encouraged this media attention to try and get the girls found asap. The susequent events were followed very closely not because they were white but because evryone wanted to know if they could be brought back safe. The suggestion no one would give two shits if they were black is offensive and you fuks make me sick.
  • Options
    aladdin ...i'm surprised that someone of your intelectual ability can agree with this idiot!
    the guy is a fucking liability to your freedom for fucks sake.
    and he wasn't right in what he was saying at all.
    do you know how many murders were comitted in the uk last year ...and how many got to be reported any further than the local rag?
    the guy is an idiot.
    he is dangerous.
    he is wrong.
    the fact that you modern people think it's ok ...it's the norm ...for people in such pos itions of power to even even be using the popular press to put across points of veiw ...is a little scary to be honest.
  • Options
    The media report these crimes - in part just to sell papers - because their readers will connect with either the victim (e.g. ap Rhys Pryce) or the perpetrator (e.g. Tony Martin). I don't buy the allegation of institutional racism because I believe it is much more about class than race. A 'nice middle class' person killed in a random attack is bound to get a media circus, whereas those killed in gang crimes will not.

I don't think the media is institutionally racist but Sir Ian makes a fair point about the media in general, and the fickle nature of modern crime reporting.
  • Options
    no matter how much we slag the popular press off ...i for one would miss sensalionist journalism ...yes quote me all the bad ones you like ...
    i would be very afraid when ...the people who wish not just to lead but form opinion as well ...do away with such things.
    i like to know who i'm deaking with regarding whatever or particular affairs in life.
    if you have been proven to be unreliable with your cheqes ...would i be sensible to accept one from you?
    of course not.
    if you don't have the courage to be upfront about what yo8 feel ad think and desire //./.what you realy believe in ...then you aint running my country ...my life ...ok?
    if somehow these modem people put you theree ,...i'll cry.
  • Options
    Not a fukin clue, the soham murders were followed intesnely because the girls were beleived to be alive when the story broke . David beckham made a public appeal for them to contact their parents, the police actively encouraged this media attention to try and get the girls found asap. The susequent events were followed very closely not because they were white but because evryone wanted to know if they could be brought back safe. The suggestion no one would give two shits if they were black is offensive and you fuks make me sick.
    Exactly. When they were first reported missing the news coverage was necessary as they could have been spotted (e.g. if they were running away from home together- at this point nobody knew why they were missing). People across the country were hoping and preying that they would be alright. So when the news broke of their murder they were already household names so the story was big.
  • Options
    There is most probably some truth in what he said. Let us apply the "Daily Mail test", as I call it. That is, how much coverage they gave it. Well, I remember it being on the front page day after day after day. The Mail on Sunday even interviewed the parents of, I think, Holly Wells - it was one of them, but I can't be certain, and yes, it was front page that week. Also, consider the murder of the lawyer who lived in Chelsea. Presumably, the Mail likes this because, as they're based in Kensington, all they have to do is send some journos to walk down there. Black murders only go on the front page when the police is criticised, or it's an exceptionally quiet news day.

On a sidenote though, am I the only one who finds it odd that Ian Blair used the term "institutional racism" when his own police force was damned as that a few years ago?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Er, glad he's apologised because what he said on Soham was absolute bollocks and a real slap in the face not only for the parents, but everyone who knew them or was involved in the case.

No it wasn't.

He said it was a nasty murder. It was.

But there have been nastier murders, where the victims have been poor or black, and nothing has been said.

About the same time as Soham a black girl was raped and murdered. Same age, etc etc. Did you hear about it? I can't even remember the name either.
    With respect to some of the cases he mentioned which didn't get as much publicity they were no where near as evil (though I imagine that the relatives of those murdered grieve just as much).

But they were.

Consider the murder of the rich blonde model in Croydon. Consider the murder of the black teen girl raped and murdered in Clapham (I think). Can you remember the name? I can't.

Consider the coverage of that Shevaun girl (who was dropped like a hot spud when they realised she was a scuffer teen rebelling) to the coverage of the girl from the Leeds sink estate whose body still hasn't been found.

Are you saying being dragged behind a car for miles is better than a quick knife in the head?
    It also ignores all the publicity over Anthony Walker, or the girls murdered in the New Years eve shooting, Victoria Climbie and a host of other murders.

Victoria Climbie gopt the coverage because black people murdered her, IMHO.

It's the same with Dami Taylor. And the shootings in Nottingham.
    For every murder of a black or aisian which isn't well reported there's also murders of whites which are hardly mentioned.

I'd agree.

But the murders of white people by black people create more of a storm then the murders of black people by anyone.

If the Metropolitan Police is "institutionally racist", then the media certainly is. Personally I think its a bollocks term, but Blair is right to point out that the same criteria should be applied to both.
  • Options
    What about the murders of Damilola Taylor and the kid in Liverpool a few months back. They got plenty of attention...I don't think there's a systematic singeling out of attacks based on race. The truth is, two schoolgirls from middle england, raped and murdered by the school janitor is press fodder. Regardless of race.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What about the murders of Damilola Taylor and the kid in Liverpool a few months back. They got plenty of attention...

Dami Taylor was murdered by black people, and the lad in Liverpool was more middle-class than most white people.

And the lad's killer was the brother of a Premiership star.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Dami Taylor was murdered by black people, and the lad in Liverpool was more middle-class than most white people.

And the lad's killer was the brother of a Premiership star.

What's this got to do with anything, you're actually proving my point. Stories that have that extra shock dimension like the murderers brother being a football star will give you that extra coverage.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What's this got to do with anything, you're actually proving my point. Stories that have that extra shock dimension like the murderers brother being a football star will give you that extra coverage.
    It's the "cult of celebrity" again, isn't it?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No it wasn't.

He said it was a nasty murder. It was.

But there have been nastier murders, where the victims have been poor or black, and nothing has been said.

About the same time as Soham a black girl was raped and murdered. Same age, etc etc. Did you hear about it? I can't even remember the name either.

But they were.

Consider the murder of the rich blonde model in Croydon. Consider the murder of the black teen girl raped and murdered in Clapham (I think). Can you remember the name? I can't.

Consider the coverage of that Shevaun girl (who was dropped like a hot spud when they realised she was a scuffer teen rebelling) to the coverage of the girl from the Leeds sink estate whose body still hasn't been found.

Are you saying being dragged behind a car for miles is better than a quick knife in the head?

Victoria Climbie gopt the coverage because black people murdered her, IMHO.

It's the same with Dami Taylor. And the shootings in Nottingham.

I'd agree.

But the murders of white people by black people create more of a storm then the murders of black people by anyone.

If the Metropolitan Police is "institutionally racist", then the media certainly is. Personally I think its a bollocks term, but Blair is right to point out that the same criteria should be applied to both.
    you need to cut down on the depression.