Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Google now against freedom of expression???

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Perhaps not evil, but certainly very unprincipled indeed.

It's not just a question of conducting business with an oppresive regime. It's a question of going against the very philosophy of your company.

A company whose business is about free communication that happily agrees to censorship for the sake of making more money does look like selling your soul to the Devil to me.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

It's not just a question of conducting business with an oppresive regime. It's a question of going against the very philosophy of your company.

A company whose business is about free communication that happily agrees to censorship for the sake of making more money does look like selling your soul to the Devil to me.

The philosophy of the company is 'do no evil' so whether this goes against that or not is for debate.

The point is, is it better they make a futile protest and let others do it instead, or do they enter the market knowing the restrictions hoping the situation will improve?

Lets not forget of course that the addition of Google to China will help a lot of people learn more about the World in general and that will (hopefully) in turn lead to a change in leadership.
  • Options
    Yes, thats my point brainiac.

Then what's your point, Bamber Gascoine?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Google motto to start with was: "Don't be evil"

So it define itself as a company that is different from other, which help the public think they are different and have more morals.

They might not take evil action, but they still have made a deal with it...

The Guardian today:
    Google's activities in China have the potential to be a disaster for the company if people start to think that it's real motto is: 'Don't be evil expect when there is serious money in it'

No-one have real clues on what their plan/strategy are, but I think Google must be careful in what they do as a bad company image is sometimes enough to make you go down.

I hope the spirit it had is still there and all they see is maybe way to implant Google over there and then try to put more pression or try to change stuff...

Will see what google go and do...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm now I'm being an unrealisitic old fool, but wouldn't it be nice if sometimes companies were managed by people who had but a trace of humanity and dignity in them and didn't put profit before people all the time?

If that is put into practice, the big angry nasty business trample you into the ground. You know that...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    If that is put into practice, the big angry nasty business trample you into the ground. You know that...

True, when you play with big boys you do have to act as a shark, cos that's what they are...

also I think it is possible to manage to be a shark but still try to have a bit of morals...

Specially in Google case, it's not like anyone can put them done...

Even Micro$hite can't do it and it's not like they aren't trying to...
  • Options
    well according to some of you people ...google should now pull out of america?