Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

is this fair?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it seems that they only really care about what THEY think/feel, they never ask me how i feel about stuff, i'm a young adult and want to be treated that way, im not 6 years old any more.
    well i don't really want to talk to my mum for the rest of the day, i'm too annoyed and upset.
  • Options
    is anybody else feeling deja vu?

Yep pretty much and i don't really know what else to say on the matter really.
  • Options
    But how would you feel if your teenage daughter asked to go on the pill, then a while later asked if she could stay with her boyfriend? What do you think that suggests?

You won't get anywhere unless you tell them (calmly) how you feel, and suggest a compromise (a few have been suggested on here). If you're really as responsible as you say you are, then you'll accept their desicion, no matter how unfair you think it is.

You're parents do seem overly protective, but they're only looking out for you. As much as you say they get on with your boyfriend, it doesn't mean that they will trust him as much as you do.
  • Options
    i asked to go on the pill because of my bad periods

i always accept what they say but to be honest i do think they're crossing the line, i don't want to go on 'accepting' stuff that isn't fair
    sometimes you need to stand up to your parents
  • Options
    Did you tell them that was the reason? Because it sounds to me like if you did and they still said no, it was because they think you want it, because you want to have sex.

I do think they're being unreasonable, but I also think that 'standing up to them' wouldn't be the best thing to do. Not only would they still probably stop you going, but they'd try and stop you doing other things too. That's why you've got to learn the art of diplomacy. Good luck.
  • Options
    Hi i am stuart

I think that your parents should give you the freedom a 16 yr old deserves. but you do probably need to sit down with them and talk it throight calmly :thumb:
  • Options
    well it was just my mum that i asked about the pill, and yes i did say it was for my periods, im not due till next month but i spend most of the month in pain (like now) because i get cramps all the way through the month :(
    my brother said to try dad but she just went mockingly 'you can try' my dads a lot more laid back than her but now im not sure
  • Options
    your parents suck :/

Yeah it's understandable that they would look out for you and everything, but jeezzz they are being way over the top.

I don't think any amount of talking is going to get through to them to be quite honest, as you've obviously tried many times before. Just leave it, and keep showing them that you ARE responsible and grown up. Yes. You are.

Maybe (fingers crossed) they will see how mean they are being and give you a bit more freedom etc.

Parents like this annoy me. I mean parents should be grateful if they have kids that don't get high, don't get drunk, don't shag around and don't ever terrorise the entire neighbourhood when so many do. Grrr.
  • Options
    i think they are being within their boundaries as parents, to be fair you are quite young to be going and staying with your boyfriend, in my eyes anyway. having said that my parents are very laid back and i used to be able to go out in town drinking to parties and stuff, but i think they'd think twice about be going to stay with someone so far away, especially of the opposite sex.

as has been said previously, you need to respect their wishes or they have you proved their gut instinct was right, if you were to say "no, im going" then, obviously you cant make a reasonable decision...

just my 2p
  • Options
    its suprising they ever let you meet him in the first place considering you met him on the internet...
    as someone suggested, get your mum to talk to his mum. my mum used to be a bit over protective and always wanted to talk to friends/boyfriends parens before i stayed over just to put her mind at rest.
    you said sometimes you need to stand up to your parents, so do that. they wont like it but if youve tried explaining to them, if youve shown you're responsible then it sounds like its the only way.
    to be honest if i was you and you still havent convinced them by the summer, id just go anyway.
  • Options
    To be honest, (and like i said, i can sort of reverse the situation with me being 19 and my girlfriend 16 in an LDR) even if you are reponsible and mature, i don't think they're being unreasonable. Though I'm sure my girlfriend would react exactly how you have.

Infact it is probably the fact you're obviously so responsible that they are so protective. I mean, the kids at school who were the most...unruly where the ones who's parents didn't set boundaries.

The best suggestion i can give is to (as much as you can / have) earn their trust, and talk to them about it closer to the date.
  • Options
    i tried again...it failed :(
    i asked what i'd done wrong to not be able to go, nothing
    so i asked if they thought i was irresponsible, no
    so i asked what the problem was....''what kind of parents does it make us look letting our 16 year old daughter go and stay with a 19 year old in his own house?''
    to me that sounds like they care more about what other people think...they said if he still lived at home (he only lives round the corner from his mum) then i could go. But he doesn't so i've got to wait till im 17 (a whole year) and then its a 'maybe'
    I still think its unfair as my best mates are in LDRs but can go stay with their boyfriends. I just want to meet his mum and friends and just see what his life is like down there. Rather than him coming up here all the time. Because we never get any privacy.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote:
    asked what i'd done wrong to not be able to go, nothing
    so i asked if they thought i was irresponsible, no

Thenthe problem is theirs.

Tell them what you've told us. If they don't understand that you shoudl kick off. You are old enough and you certainly seem responsible enough, just tell them your going anyway.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I dunno how you handle it. At the age of 16 my mum let me do what I want when I want and just said dont bring trouble to my door. If I wasnt coming home she just asked that I texted/phoned her and told her. I'm now 19 and go to my BF's on a friday and dont come back till a monday when I've finished work. I've been doing this for the past year and a half.

Christ, I'd go insane if I had to be in at 10. I always know that even if I say I;m not coming home but I go out and get wreaked I can always come home anyway. No matter what time it is.
  • Options
    Stop whingeing. And definitely don't whinge at your mother.

Tell them that you want to go, it means a lot to you, and you are old enough. Blanket bans without a very good reason are unacceptable.

If she refuses to discuss things further, then just go anyway. If diplomacy doesn't work, then just defy her.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Stop whingeing. And definitely don't whinge at your mother.

Tell them that you want to go, it means a lot to you, and you are old enough. Blanket bans without a very good reason are unacceptable.

If she refuses to discuss things further, then just go anyway. If diplomacy doesn't work, then just defy her.

Exaclty.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i've told them it means alot, and that i just want to go chill for a week after my GCSEs are over, and that i'd deserve it because i'm working so hard....still not good enough
    if he lived at home still then i could go...and he only lives around the corner from his parents!
  • Options
    Or take your mum with you and you'se can all have a slumber party with marshmallows and cookies :hyper:
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    its suprising they ever let you meet him in the first place considering you met him on the internet...

that's what i was thinking. my mum is really easy going and always gave me a lot of freedom and trust (although like fiend i had proved to her time and time again that i could be trusted) and she nearly had a heart attack when i told her i was going to meet someone i'd met on the internet. and i was 21 at the time.

if you want to kick off and go anyway, try it. it might possibly get you what you want, but the next time you ask something similar, do you know what the answer will be? i'll tell you: no.

what i would do is have a calm adult discussion about it. don't ask to go, don't whine if she says no. just tell her it makes you feel like she doesn't trust you when you are not allowed this kind of freedom. tell her why you're upse,. tell her you know you're only young, and you understand why she's worried, but you are mature enough to behave (change to whatever is true)

if she still says no, i would just accept that she isn't going to budge for the moment. it might not be fair, but to quote mothers all over the world: life isn't fair. and if she sees that you're being reasonable about it and accepting her opinion on the matter, she may well start to respect yours.
  • Options
    Don't make excuses, just do it. If she's not open to negotiation, then don't bother trying. Just ignore her.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i've told them it means alot, and that i just want to go chill for a week after my GCSEs are over, and that i'd deserve it because i'm working so hard....still not good enough
    if he lived at home still then i could go...and he only lives around the corner from his parents!

Why not just tell them you're off to his house and walk out? Stop being so submissive, go and fucking do it! That's the only way to counter your mother's dominance - ignore her.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Don't make excuses, just do it. If she's not open to negotiation, then don't bother trying. Just ignore her.

And if you do ignore her and go anyway. Make sure you keep in touch and don't fuck things up. Show her that you can be responsible without her input.

i.e don't come back and tell her you had a shite time and got wrecked etc
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    if she sees that you're being reasonable about it and accepting her opinion on the matter, she may well start to respect yours.

I agree with the rest of what you say, to an extent, but not this bit.

A leopard never changes its spots. If a parent cannot be bothered to give a decent reason to deny something, then they will always be like that. If you see something means something to your kid, and they are 16, then the very least you owe them is an explanation. 16 is young, but a 16-year-old isn't a bairn anymore.

My mum wasn't happy when I went off to meet internet people, and she explained why. She explained that she wasn't happy, and wanted me to take every protection- she even sent my dad with me, to the same town at least, once. I was only 16/17 at the time.

But sometimes its better to not tell them, and just do your own thing. I know people who've had boyfriends up and down the country, and the parentals never knew. Because they'd have been mongs about it if they did.
  • Options
    or compromise. why cant you both stay at his mums house when you go and visit? that way everyones happy... or at least tell them thats where you'll be.
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    or compromise. why cant you both stay at his mums house when you go and visit? that way everyones happy... or at least tell them thats where you'll be.
    thats what we're thinking....he has a really cool laid back mum so he's going to talk to her
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I agree with the rest of what you say, to an extent, but not this bit.

A leopard never changes its spots. If a parent cannot be bothered to give a decent reason to deny something, then they will always be like that. If you see something means something to your kid, and they are 16, then the very least you owe them is an explanation. 16 is young, but a 16-year-old isn't a bairn anymore.

i see what your saying, and i may be wrong, i just have very clear memories of myself and my friends at that age, and when we said 'she won't even give a reason' what we really meant was 'she gave me a reason, and it was one i didn't like and couldn't counter, so i am choosing to ignore it'.

defying the parents gets you what you want, definitely, but in my experience it's also a one-way ticket to burnt bridgeville. and it's very hard to get back from there.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i see what your saying, and i may be wrong, i just have very clear memories of myself and my friends at that age, and when we said 'she won't even give a reason' what we really meant was 'she gave me a reason, and it was one i didn't like and couldn't counter, so i am choosing to ignore it'.

Oh, there's always that to it. You only ever get one view in threads like this.

She sounds like she's being unreasonable, but all parents of teenagers are if you listen to the teenagers.

I think the mum owes a decent reason. "You're too young" is not a good enough reason- old enough to pay adult train fares, old enough to travel as an adult IMHO. And nor is "what would the neighbours think?"

A lot of parents are far too protective and sheltering of their children, and its wrong to be. A lot of parents care too much about Mrs Nosy-Parker in number 37. That's how it is. NOt letting teens spread their wings is bad.
    defying the parents gets you what you want, definitely, but in my experience it's also a one-way ticket to burnt bridgeville. and it's very hard to get back from there.

I agree again.

But if a parent is always going to be unreasonable- and how parents treat their teens is generally how they treat their adult children- then what difference does it make?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

Soemtimes they have to learn that your old enough to think for yourself and that whilst you would like their support, it isn't a requirement.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i can honestly say the reasons were

1. you're too young
    2. what kind of parents does it make us look?

or

3. because you're just not

:yeees: i don't think these are good reasons
  • Options
    no, but those are the reasons they're giving you. the fact is, there are no good reasons for not letting you go. apart from the fact that you're their daughter and they don't think you should be.

so i don't really think you have that many choices, if you've tried the whole talking to them, being reasonable, being responsible. like i said before, try and compromise. if that doesn't work, well i'd just go.

but the summer is still quite a way away so you never know what might happen between now and then. you'll have had another few months to try and convince your parents and to show them that you can and will be responsible. they may come round.