Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Birmingham University suspends Christian group for not admitting non-Christians

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Well exactly, hence my "who gives a..." comment.

Err..that's not the point though. It's denying a group their freedom of expression and who they dictate who be's in their group. Doesn't matter a fuck if there's going to be fuck all non-Christains in the group...it's a matter of principles.
  • Options
    Its a uni soc, who cares?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Its a uni soc, who cares?

:banghead:

Read the thread again, this isn't about universities. It's about freedom of expression. And I do care because small things like this pisses me off and it pisses you off aswell but you don't realise it.
  • Options
    I honestly don't care about a Xtian soc at Brum uni.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Neither do I.

Ah the great blagsta loses a debate...must frame this on me wall :thumb:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Previously you said that these stories were all made up an exaggerated now your saying you don’t care.

Why don’t you care? would you care if the Afro Caribbean association was forced to admit BNP members I bet you would then wouldn’t you ?

This is curtailing the Christian student’s freedom.
  • Options
    Previously you said that these stories were all made up an exaggerated now your saying you don’t care.

Eh? I said that stories about student societies were made up? What are you wittering on about now?
    Why don’t you care? would you care if the Afro Caribbean association was forced to admit BNP members I bet you would then wouldn’t you ?

Its not really likely is it?
    This is curtailing the Christian student’s freedom.

Don't be daft. All uni socs have the same rules. So what? Get over it. Its a student soc, it has no relevance to anything.
  • Options
    your rabid anti religious bias is showing ...seeing as what you have contributed to the post is utter fantasy!
    a fantasy of your own imaginings!
    witch hunt kinda fantasies i'd say.

Times headline for that article:
    Students ban Christians in row over gays

And further down:
    Members claim the actions have been taken against them after they refused on religious grounds to make “politically correct” changes to their charitable constitution, including explicitly mentioning people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered.

Now, it is not very clear to me what exactly is going on. That is why I said in my post IF there was a case of homophobic discrimination.

So lay off your accusations a bit, eh? :rolleyes:

In any case it is a universally known fact that evangelicals are profoundly homophobic religious ultra-fundamentalists, so it is not such a wild suggestions that they have in some form or other discriminated against gays and lesbians. Is it?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    A non-Christian not being able to join is not as serious an issue as a gay Christian not being allowed to join.

I don't know if that was the case. But if it was, then the Christian Union can go right fuck itself, and the suspension is 100% justified.
    My CU has a similar rule, in that the rule is for membership (that is free) one needs to believe that Jesus christ is the son of God and that He died in place of ones sin to avert the rightful punishment or something similar.

Nothing prevents people from attending, and nothing prevents gay christians from attending.

ETA: Have any of you actually gone to a CU meeting? And would any of you be interested in knowing how they generally run?

ETA again: Aladding you're talking crap about evangellicals, I doubt you've ever had any experience except those scary televangellists that america has.
  • Options
    Aladdin, making such a bigoted statement about all members of a certain religious group isn't acceptable here. I really don't see any difference between dismissing all Muslims as terrorists and dismissing all members of an evangelical church as 'profoundly homophobic religious ultra-fundamentalists'.

Certainly there are extreme churchs within the definition, just as there are within any other religion, but to claim the people I grew up going to church with, or the estimated 70 - 80 million people in the US who would describe themselves as 'born-again' or 'evangelical' are all rabid homophobes is simply the worst kind of stereotyping.

You don't get to do that here, so don't again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelicals
    http://www.wheaton.edu/isae/defining_evangelicalism.html
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    In any case it is a universally known fact that evangelicals are profoundly homophobic religious ultra-fundamentalists

That's the biggest pile of hairy old bollocks I've ever read on the internet.

Nice one Jim V.
  • Options
    The Guild is a joke anyway. They couldnt organise a party at the playboy mansion.

The Christians are better off without it.