Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Parents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
heya everyone
right this might be a bit long and confusing but i really need some advice on what to do. wel im 16 and have been going out with my boyfriend(whos 19) for about 4 months and everythings going really well. but theres one problem.... my mum and dad :( they only let me out two weeknights a week and make me come in at half past 9 which was annoying enough but now they wont let me stop the night anywhere at weekends because they think im going to stop at my boyfriends. they dont trust me at all, they told me that they dont think im resposible enough to stay out later (which is a stupid reason anyway) but then they leave me a couple of nights a week to look after my little brothers when they go out and then they dont come in until midnight anyway so im not resposible enough to go out until that time but im responsible enough for them to leave their kids with me until that time. it makes no sense. theyve met my b/f a couple of times but they dont speak to him properly the most theyve said was 'hello how are you' then the conversation stops there. ive tried asking them why cant i go out later and why they wont speak to him properly but i just get stupid answers back lik 'because i said so' and 'i dont need to give a reason to you, im the parent' :banghead: all i want is for them to stop treating me like a little kid. Any advice??

Comments

• Options
    well have you e ver given them any reason to think you're irresponsible? also are you their only daughter? also with you being the oldest they might not be used to how to treat a 16yr old sorta thing.
  • Options
    yeah i am their only daughter. i havent given them any reason to make them think im irresponsible that i can think of and if i have they wont tell me because they dont talk to me properly.
  • Options
    It's a parent's job to bug the hell out of their teenage daughter.
  • Options
    heh, i have that too. My parents won't let me drive to see my girlfriend, won't let me sleep over at my girlfriends house, blah blah. It's a pain in the ass but i suppose they have there reasons. I'm the oldest so i have to break all the boundries and stuff.

But look at the bright side, it makes sneaking over for a night (or 12) that much more fun :D
  • Options
    i can see how this situation is fustrating to you, but i guess they still think of you as their little girl and are trying to protect you.

and i dont mean to be rude or anything but i think at 16 ur a lil young to be sleeping at a bf's house!
  • Options
    I'm 17, and I have a similar problem. I'm not allowed to stay at my bf's and he's not allowed to stay here. It's gutting, and really frustrating. But it's my parents house so what they say goes! You could try talking to them, perhaps one my be easier than the other, I always find it easier to talk to my mum. Hold your nerve and never shout back, because it just comes across as immature, try to ask them why they wont' let you do certain things. Their answers might still be no, but at least you'll understand why better. And remember you've got the rest of your life to stay over a your guy's house and go out every night! why do it when you 16
  • Options
    sounds like they don't think much of your b/f to be perfectly honest...
  • Options
    When I lived at home I knew my parents wouldn't approve of spending the night at my boyfriends hourse. I would never have even dreamed of asking. I'm kind of shocked that your mad that they don't let you.
  • Options
    heh, i have that too. My parents won't let me drive to see my girlfriend, won't let me sleep over at my girlfriends house, blah blah. It's a pain in the ass but i suppose they have there reasons. I'm the oldest so i have to break all the boundries and stuff.

But look at the bright side, it makes sneaking over for a night (or 12) that much more fun :D

how do they actually stop you from driving over to see your gf?
  • Options
    im 16 too, and i have a 19 year old boyfriend....well we're not 100% official but we're technically together
    when he comes over we're not allowed to be alone in the house together (sometimes its unavoidable so we get made to walk the dog) and we're not allowed to sleep in the same room
    he lives 200 miles away and im hoping i'll be allowed to go and visit him, but its probably doubtful
    but really at 16 you're legally allowed to do what you want with him so they cant really stop you....the more parents hold kids back the more they'll stray away
  • Options
    and the more you stray away and disobey them the more they'll stop you from doing the things you want.

not that i'm saying you do or anything.
  • Options
    The whole 9.30 thing I can understand on a week night, try starting them off by asking for an extened curfew on the weekends. Say to them that you'll be walked home or you'll get a taxi so they dont have to worry. If they think your to young to be out a little later tell them your too young to take responsibility for your younger sibling(s).
  • Options
    I'm 20 and my girlfriend is 16. We get on so well and I get on very well with her parents too. She has to be home by 10 on weekdays and they've let her stay at mine a couple of times on a friday or a weekend though initially they weren't too keen. I think the parents of young girls are just naturally protective of their daughters particularly when they have older boyfriends. I can understand it to be fair. However, if you can get them to open up and engage with your bf a bit more maybe they'll take to him and not be so wary. My gfs mum admitted that, had she not met me and spoken to me and realised I'm not sly/dodgy/delete as applicable, she would be wary of a 20 year old going out with her 16 year old. But now she's got to know me (and vice versa) their protectiveness has been tempred slightly.
  • Options
    You just need to talk to them like an adult and if you give them the impression of maturity then they might come round to the idea. However, as others have already said, they are your parents. Hence they are bound to be protective of their daughter! If they refuse then just leave it for a while, then maybe broach the subject in a couple of weeks. Just make sure you don't keep going on at them because that won't give a good impression.

Oh and also, why not invite your bf over for dinner or something? If your parents get to know the guy and like him they are far more likely to say yes.
  • Options
    Your parents are being tyrants.

At 16, you're old enough to do whatever you want without parental permission - this is legally the case. To prevent you from doing so, your parents are repressing your social development.

My suggestion would be defiance. Nothing good can come from their interference.
  • Options
    My parents were wary at first as my BF is also older but once they had got to know him and accepted the fact there is nothing they can do about it then it was fine. He can stay over whenever and in the same bed, i dont have to be back at a time or anything as they know he'll look after me and is sensible.
  • Options
    your only 16, its hardly like you in your 20's. I mean if if they don't wnat you going out late then thats their perogative. You do live in their house and its not like you can legally go to ac lub or out drinking so why do you need to saty out late? se the logic?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    your only 16, its hardly like you in your 20's. I mean if if they don't wnat you going out late then thats their perogative. You do live in their house and its not like you can legally go to ac lub or out drinking so why do you need to saty out late? se the logic?

It's not their prerogative at all - not even legally.

Legally, it's an abuse of power. She's being denied valuable life experience.

Perhaps she wants to stay with her boyfriend overnight, go a friends house, go to a party? Do normal things normal 16 year olds do?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Perhaps she wants to stay with her boyfriend overnight, go a friends house, go to a party? Do normal things normal 16 year olds do?

am i the only one that finds sleeping over a bf's house not normal for a 16 year old? no one i know of that age would ever be allowed to do such a thing!
  • Options
    MzInnocent wrote:
    am i the only one that finds sleeping over a bf's house not normal for a 16 year old? no one i know of that age would ever be allowed to do such a thing!

At 16 being "allowed" shouldn't come into it.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    At 16 being "allowed" shouldn't come into it.

18 is the legal age to be "an independant adult" not 16! so it does come into it. 16 is still considered a child.
  • Options
    MzInnocent wrote:
    18 is the legal age to be "an independant adult" not 16! so it does come into it. 16 is still considered a child.

A 16 year old is legally independent of parents in the UK. A 16 year old can smoke, have sex, leave school etc. Parents have no legal authority.

Being independent and learning the ways of the world from a young age is a good thing.
  • Options
    MzInnocent wrote:
    my 15/16 year old friends stay with their boyfriends all the time
    so is it ok for a 16 year old girl to go to her friends but not her boyfriends? she's allowed to have sex if she wants but not stay over....thats unfair to say in my opinion
  • Options
    MzInnocent wrote:

When i was 15/16 i was allowed to stop round my boyfriends house most weekends, sometimes there was a big group of us sometimes it was just me and him, and for the first like 10 months of our relationship we weren't even having sex anyway, it would just be like yeah friday night lets have a take away watch a movie stay up late have some sneaky wkd's then sleep kinda thing.
    It's not untill reading this thread how thankfull i am really to my mum trusting me enough to let me do stuff like that because i would have missed out on a lot of fun teenage things with all my friends and everything, i don't find it weird and i don't find my mum irresponisble or anything ,but some parents are more over protectove that others but most of my friends were allowed to do similar.

The more you try to make your teenagers not do things like have sex and stuff, the more they are going to rebel to try and do it, but i suggest you have another go at talking to your parents and going over all the points again, maybe suggest you even all go out for a meal with your boyfriend so that they can get to know him better and start to build up some form of trust/relationship.
  • Options
    i know how you feel though, my mum won't give me any freedom to be alone with my boyfriend. it's so frustrating especially when i'm legally allowed to do what i like....and its not even about sex. i would love so much just to spend one night together on our own to just veg out and cuddle up and enjoy each others company. because you're a teenager adults just think you're after sex all the time.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    A 16 year old is legally independent of parents in the UK.

i didn't know that - in Australia it's 18.

hence the confusion!
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I mean if if they don't wnat you going out late then thats their perogative.

No, it really isn't.

Parents do not own their children. Sixteen-year-olds can legally have sex, smoke, and get married (albeit with parental consent). Sixteen-year-olds are not children, and should never be treated as such.

Fair enough if they say they won't drive you there or back, but they should not be stopping you, especially on a weekend. On a weeknight, if you are still at school, then they do have a point.
    You do live in their house

So?

The easiest way to deal with it is to show them that you are an adult and can be trusted. Don't shout, don't stamp your feet, and don't whinge like a toddler. Say calmly you want to stay out later on weekends, and say you are amenable to sensible times. If they try and keep you in on weekends, then just go out anyway. What are they going to do, stop you?
  • Options
    i love you kermit! :heart:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    my 15/16 year old friends stay with their boyfriends all the time

doesn't mean your parents should let you stay with your boyfriend, does it.

and imo, a parent shouldn't be letting their son/daughter stay with their girllfriend/boyfriend under the age of 16 anyway as it's sort of promoting underage sex.
  • Options
    doesn't mean your parents should let you stay with your boyfriend, does it.

and imo, a parent shouldn't be letting their son/daughter stay with their girllfriend/boyfriend under the age of 15 anyway as it's sort of promoting underage sex.

Why not, at 16?

And at 15, the fact is many people are ready to start shagging anyway.