Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

American kids...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I took a driving holiday through mid-America less than a year after 9/11 and the number of houses flying the flag was astonishing.

Then again no-one seemed to bother with that in Washington or even NYC.

Seeing such high concentration of flags was annoying... though not as much as the countless "God Bless America" roadside billboard posters we drove past... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I went into an American Christian website once and asked, as you do, "so why do you all follow Christianity? what makes it so good opposed to other religions? and how do you get around Jesus and Mary Magdelin?"

With out a single reply i was banned from making any more posts!
    But i could still see everyone else talking and all i could see was every one saying how God blesses america more then any other nation and always has done.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    This was posted a little while back. Quite amusing and relevant to this thread.

Where shall we invade next?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I did Camp America for 5 months a few years back and i have to say it really does vary, at the beginning of camp we had groups of kids that came from New york (rural areas) that had saved up for the whole year for that one day out, and they werent the smartest kids but that was because of their backgrounds, bless them, when they got there, half of them just jumped in the swimming pool as they didnt realise there was a deep end and they couldnt swim!! If someone is not taught something and if they dont have the facilities or people around them to teach them, how will they learn.......?

Then for the summer, (longest 6 weeks of my life) the rich jewish kids aka JAPS were at camp and they were just so arrogant and really did believe that America was just untouchable and had no clue about Europe or the UK! but then i didnt know much about their way of life and views until i went there, so its not fair to say all America Kids are stupid, besides they were rich, they didnt need to be smart! ;)
  • Options
    How many people on this thread have actually been to America?
    I am American.
    Ballerina wrote:
    don't get why americans are so over the top proud of where they're from. I noticed when i was there 90% of houses had got the american flag hung outside.
    You probably came over some time close to 2001, right? Or you might've come over when it was one of those federal holidays where they give you a free flag.

As to paying teachers by test results so they would care, I think it would be better if we could get the kids to care.
  • Options
    Pocky wrote:
    I am American.

You probably came over some time close to 2001, right? Or you might've come over when it was one of those federal holidays where they give you a free flag.

As to paying teachers by test results so they would care, I think it would be better if we could get the kids to care.
    once was in 2000 just over a year before 9/11 the other time was at the end of march 2004
    my cousin who lives over there says its mostly like that all year round
  • Options
    Guess I should be glad that the rest of the USA isn't like your brother's city.
  • Options
    From the Americans I've known, I'd say there's a pretty distinct divide between cool-as-fuck and batshit crazy (not in a good way) with fairly little middle ground.

That said, it's the same in pretty much every country. It's just the idiotic Americans seem to get a lot more worldwide exposure (eg. by becoming President).
  • Options
    Pocky wrote:
    Guess I should be glad that the rest of the USA isn't like your brother's city.
    he's not my brother he's my cousin
  • Options

This has to be one of the worst, most misinformed and ignorant bunch of posts I have ever read.

You are all complete and utter morons.

Born, raised, and live there.
  • Options

This has to be one of the worst, most misinformed and ignorant bunch of posts I have ever read.

Nice to know.
  • Options
    Ok, prehaps my initial post was too generalising, and I'm not saying that all Americans are stupid, I was just saying that most Americans don't seem to know anything about the outside world, I've spoken to a few American kids who had never even heard of the London bombings. And as to the person who posted saying "I have a couson in England, do you know him?", it's true, a lot of Americans do think we all know eachother.

But you can't deny that a lot of Americans are very generalising. It's kinda like they think Americans are the only people who vary.

PS: I was in a piss when I wrote my initial post.
  • Options
    But you can't deny that a lot of Americans are very generalising.

Coming from the person who said all American kids were stupid and know nothing of the outside World.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Coming from the person who said all American kids were stupid and know nothing of the outside World.

Did you read all my post you fucking dumbass?
  • Options

That will get you in trouble.

Yes, kids can be immature - there's nothing you can do about it. Some kids are more, some kids are less. Heck, you're being immature right now. So am I.

The thing is, you're coming across as very hostile at the moment, and you do seem to have a short fuse. Lol, you should have seen a thread I made, called "Custom Title". I was annihilated there, I tell you.

Chill out and debate passively is all I say. Why categorise the kids you have met as american kids? Kids are kids, and a lot of them are stupid and know nothing of the world.
  • Options

Never been there.

So since everybody is disagreeing with what the OP said and you call those people ignorant morons, are you agreeing with the original post?

See, I'm a bit on the retarded side, being a yank and all :p (though I still firmly believe that only New Yorkers are yankees)
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    Why categorise the kids you have met as american kids? Kids are kids, and a lot of them are stupid and know nothing of the world.
    Very wise :thumb:

haha and my_name, yankee in an interesting term, the southern US calls northern people yankees, everyone in the north calls people from new york yankees.. its a mess.
  • Options
    I don't think you can generalise american kids from any others... i lived there for 18 months when I was younger, the only thing i would put aside is the stuff about the flag etc... I think theres a line between national pride and giving kids the impression that theyre better than everyone else cos theyre american but it obviouslly differs in different areas...

That said Americans can be very cool people like everyone else, their government brings their reputation down and tends to make ppl generalise... but like someone said earlier...the competition was just as shit so they were fucked either way =/
  • Options
    Very wise :thumb:

haha and my_name, yankee in an interesting term, the southern US calls northern people yankees, .

Oh I did not know that. Cool. Damn hic southners ;)
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Oh I did not know that. Cool. Damn hic southners ;)

haha, i bet the kids burninginme talked about were from the south :yes:
    kiddingg, though i think we should hijack this thread into a have fun with stereotypes thread :D
  • Options
    haha, i bet the kids burninginme talked about were from the south :yes:
    kiddingg, though i think we should hijack this thread into a have fun with stereotypes thread :D

I went to Arkansas once. God knows why... On the way from our condo to the rest of the god forsaken state we drove by an albino donkey every day. Really made the trip fun :p
    But you want steryotypes, I saw them. Total shacks. Broken cars filled the lawns. People sitting outside on rockers on their "porch" I saw a broken bus on blocks in some guys yard.
    However outside of that it was quite a pretty place. And damn friendly people. Too friendly for my liking :p
  • Options
    There's only one word for the majority of American kids, and that word is: Stupid.

And to make such a fictitious generalisation you must be pretty stupid yourself. Although I think that’s been pretty clearly established.
    Also, American kids seem to think that Europe is one big country and all the other countries in it are equvilent to American states, the same belief goes to Africa, they all think the Afican continent is one big country.

Speaking to a few American kids who spout off on forums or whatever hardly qualifies what you’re saying.

Indeed, you’re as ignorant as the Americans you’re criticising. You’re unable to comprehend that the US is a vast and extremely diverse country that encompasses a wide range of different ethnicities, political viewpoints and attitudes. Whilst some of your comments might be vaguely relevant to some parts of particular American states they’re certainly not applicable to others. There’s a pretty big contrast in education and outlook between say Massachusetts and Alabama for example.

Why are all American kids this dumb? What do they teach them in their schools?

Because Brits are so informed aren't they? America isn't perfect but neither is Britain and anybody that has the generalised and indiscriminate view of an entire nation as you do clearly is pretty ignorant of that country and its people.
  • Options
    Hi, matador?

dont you think you are being a bit hypocritical in saying that we are all morons when you have just been slating the original poster for generalising?

And I have also found that a lot of young Americans know and want to know very little of anything outside their beloved country. However i have met some lovely, intelligent, well informed people from there (e.g my employer, although she frequently renounces her american roots in shame :p ). But as others have said it is a mixed bag wherever you are, and the educational system has a lot to do with it. Also there is quite a lot of abject poverty in america (im not meaning like dying of starvation, but a lot worse than anything i have seen over here).

But one thing that does get me is why people actually voted for an ex cocaine addict who has been bankrupt more than once, and only went into politics after he realised he didnt have his daddy's flair for business. (Bush) and who, in his first hour meeting with the prince of saudi arabia (or someone very rich and powerful in that region, I may be showing my ignorance here), had to have the whole israeli/ palestinian conflict explained to him by the prince because he had not understood. And he choked on a pretzel. ANd I would never vote for tony blair. ANd sorry for my rant.
  • Options
    I've got to say that I've never met anyone as retarded (sorry, ill informed) as some of the people you see on those 'let's take the piss out of america' programmes, and some website forums. Nor have I ever met anyone as devoutly religious as a lot of Americans are portrayed, although they seem to be particularly vocal at the moment (Intelligent design nonsense, for example). The only thing that worrys me about America, is that the sensible masses don't seem to be the one's who actually get to voice their opinion on things, whilst the gun-toting, yee-haw right shout their opinions louder than anyone else and get all the attention. I would be worried if these type of people gained as much influence in the UK too.
  • Options
    The population of America is around 295,734,000 compared to the 60,441,000 in the UK so obviously there's going to be more stupid kids as there is, ultimately, more people in general and therefore, more kids. Doesn't mean all american kids are stupid. Nor does it necessarily mean the majority of american kids are stupid.

A lot of kids are stupid or uneducated or whatever. For example, a lot of kids living in cities in the UK, when asked, didn't know that milk came from cows or that eggs came from chickens. Pretty "stupid", huh?
  • Options
    Ohhh the 14 year old sociology professor is having a temper tantrum. Watch out yall.
  • Options

I did as it happens, and it seems to me (and virtually everyone else) that you are pointlessly generalising on the basis of talking to a few kids on the internet.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    The population of America is around 295,734,000 compared to the 60,441,000 in the UK so obviously there's going to be more stupid kids as there is, ultimately, more people in general and therefore, more kids. Doesn't mean all american kids are stupid. Nor does it necessarily mean the majority of american kids are stupid.

A lot of kids are stupid or uneducated or whatever. For example, a lot of kids living in cities in the UK, when asked, didn't know that milk came from cows or that eggs came from chickens. Pretty "stupid", huh?

This has to be the most intelligent post I've read in this thread.

Burninginme - please take note. What was it you said in one of your posts in another thread "let's talk like civil adults?" It would be good to practice what you preach.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ohhh the 14 year old sociology professor is having a temper tantrum. Watch out yall.
    :lol: