Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

People who flight the flag at home

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont find Muslims scary in the slightest. May not agree with their religious beliefs but have always found them to be kind and generous people.

I was speaking more generally, I cant say I find Muslims scary either.

One thing I do wish we had which is American though and thats Thanksgiving, its a totally non-religious festival, just a time to eat a lot, have time with the family and be thankful, you cant ask for much more from a holiday really.
  • Options
    I didn't know Thanksgiving wasn't a religious holiday- then again I know next to nothing about it.

Perhaps religious folk give thanks to God and non-religious simply get on with the holiday/food fest/family reunion? Just like Xmas in a way...
  • Options
    This is quite odd i think with how stupidly pollitically correct this countries been getting lately.
    So it's offsensive to say 'christmas tree' but not to fly the union jack?
  • Options
    What makes you think it's offensive to say christmas tree?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    What makes you think it's offensive to say christmas tree?
    because i heard over the xmas holidays that we were supposed to say 'festive tree' and 'winter lights' because it was offensive to non-christians and all that malarky, basically that christmas decorations were offensive and we had to be 'tolerate of other cultures'
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    because i heard over the xmas holidays that we were supposed to say 'festive tree' and 'winter lights' because it was offensive to non-christians and all that malarky, basically that christmas decorations were offensive and we had to be 'tolerate of other cultures'

Where on earth did you hear that?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I didn't know Thanksgiving wasn't a religious holiday- then again I know next to nothing about it.

Perhaps religious folk give thanks to God and non-religious simply get on with the holiday/food fest/family reunion? Just like Xmas in a way...

Certainly people who believe in a God will them it/him but its not, religion based, like Christmas for example.

Basically it is when the Pilgrims were taught how to farm corn etc. by the natives to help them through the winter (because not many of them were actually farmers they were religious nuts and not ready for the journey or living there). Then when harvest time came round and the pilgrims had lots to eat they invited the natives round and they all had a nice dinner party.

So, not only is the holiday non religious and all inclusive, but the story itself is about sharing, including others from different backgrounds and being together as a community.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Where on earth did you hear that?
    radio/news talk
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    radio/news talk

Really? Well I guess that just shows that you shouldn't believe everything that you hear then isn't it? There were several news reports that some councils had renamed their Xmas lights as winter lights, but they turned out to be the usual bollocks.

Has anyone actually stopped you talking about Xmas?
  • Options
    Thanksgiving is actually nothing other than a renaming of the age old Harvest Festival of which most nations have some version.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Really? Well I guess that just shows that you shouldn't believe everything that you hear then isn't it? There were several news reports that some councils had renamed their Xmas lights as winter lights, but they turned out to be the usual bollocks.

Has anyone actually stopped you talking about Xmas?
    yeah i know....there honestly wasnt much point in it, no one is about to stop calling christmas what it is are they? if people don't like it then its their problem, its only for a couple of weeks a year
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    yeah i know....there honestly wasnt much point in it, no one is about to stop calling christmas what it is are they? if people don't like it then its their problem, its only for a couple of weeks a year

Wasn't much point in what? My point is that it never happened. No one has ever said (well, no one of any importance anyway) that we can't talk about Xmas trees etc.

Don't believe the hype.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Certainly people who believe in a God will them it/him but its not, religion based, like Christmas for example.

Basically it is when the Pilgrims were taught how to farm corn etc. by the natives to help them through the winter (because not many of them were actually farmers they were religious nuts and not ready for the journey or living there). Then when harvest time came round and the pilgrims had lots to eat they invited the natives round and they all had a nice dinner party.

So, not only is the holiday non religious and all inclusive, but the story itself is about sharing, including others from different backgrounds and being together as a community.

Well, I was under the impression that thanksgiving is a merge of a native american celebration with a victory feast after europeans slaughtered a tribe if natives.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

:shocking: :confused: :crazyeyes

You not left in da head :yes:
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Well, I was under the impression that thanksgiving is a merge of a native american celebration with a victory feast after europeans slaughtered a tribe if natives.

No, they certainly murdered hundreds of thousands of natives later, but Thanksgiving is before that.
  • Options
    But thanksgiving isn't about colubus finding america or indians or any of that shit. Its about its name. Thanks. You have a big meal. You spend time with family you've not seen in a while. You start getting ready for christmas when you'll spend more time with loved ones and eat more. Thanksgiving is food, family and football.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Thanksgiving is food, family and football.

Isn't it the big Chicago vs. Detroit game on Thanksgiving?
  • Options
    Surely renaming Christmas trees and christmas lights is being offensive towards Christians? Things like that should be left alone, unless they actually do cause offence to people who are complaining about it themselves.

As for flying a flag, well the kids where I live would steal it off our flagpole anyway, in a continued victimisation of my dad, and I really don't see the point in it. Flying a flag doesn't show anything except you are listening to Gordon Brown.

How long before children have to sing the national anthem around the flag in schools?
  • Options
    Surely renaming Christmas trees and christmas lights is being offensive towards Christians? Things like that should be left alone, unless they actually do cause offence to people who are complaining about it themselves.

NO ONE HAS RENAMED CHRISTAMS TREES OR LIGHTS

OK?
  • Options
    FAO Shyboy and Teh Gerbil - I am now leaving the Politics forum, now maybe you see why I don't come in here. Cheers Blagsta.
  • Options
    FAO Shyboy and Teh Gerbil - I am now leaving the Politics forum, now maybe you see why I don't come in here. Cheers Blagsta.

Just tell him to fuck off...he won't mind.
  • Options
    I doubt it would do much good tbh.
  • Options

Just ignore him.
  • Options

Blagsta gives everyone grief, even the regulars, just give him grief back.
  • Options

Sorry, I was just pointing out that renaming of Xmas didn't happen. Why get so upset about it?
  • Options
    St.Georges cross is the only flag for me.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Isn't it the big Chicago vs. Detroit game on Thanksgiving?

Changes every year. No team is guananteed the grand t day game every year. (oh, and the bears and the packers are far more rivals than detroit, nobody seem sto care of them :p)

Sorry for the non related post :\
  • Options
    thanksgiving basically sounds like xmas?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    thanksgiving basically sounds like xmas?

:yes: christmas minus gifts.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    :yes: christmas minus gifts.
    i want thanksgiving!!
    you seem to have a lot of holidays in america, its not fair. I hear you get longer school holidays too.