Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

American kids...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There's only one word for the majority of American kids, and that word is: Stupid.

Over the past few years I've spoken to a lot of American kids on the Internet and it appears 90% don't have a clue what they're on about. American kids seem to think they're the only develop society in the world, when I tell an American kid I'm from England, they 9 times out of 10 think I drink tea all day, ride a penny farthing and speak with a stiff upper lip and one asked me if we had McDonalds in England, when I replied yes, he was genuenly suprised. Also, American kids seem to think that Europe is one big country and all the other countries in it are equvilent to American states, the same belief goes to Africa, they all think the Afican continent is one big country.

Also, the other day, I got into a conversation with one about upcomming nations, and I said that China is almost as rich as the US now and he said "no, China is poor and everyone in China is starving", I mean, what an ignornet comment. Then I said that Israel is a pretty rich nation and he said "no, Israel is poor and full of poverty like everywhere in Asia", I mean, how idiotic, but this seems to be the basic belief of all American kids, they seem to think the the US is the only developed nation in the world?

Why are all American kids this dumb? What do they teach them in their schools?

Comments

• Options
    Thats a rather sweeping statement.

I speak to an American guy over the Internet and he has to be one of the most smartest people I've ever conversed with. No liez.
  • Options
    I mean people 13-17.
  • Options
    He's 16.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    He's 16.

Tell him China is almost as rich as the US and see how he reacts :thumb: .

"l0lz datz phunny china iz poor l0l amerika iz rich".
  • Options
    There's only one word for the majority of American kids, and that word is: Stupid.

Over the past few years I've spoken to a lot of American kids on the Internet and it appears 90% don't have a clue what they're on about. American kids seem to think they're the only develop society in the world, when I tell an American kid I'm from England, they 9 times out of 10 think I drink tea all day, ride a penny farthing and speak with a stiff upper lip and one asked me if we had McDonalds in England, when I replied yes, he was genuenly suprised. Also, American kids seem to think that Europe is one big country and all the other countries in it are equvilent to American states, the same belief goes to Africa, they all think the Afican continent is one big country.

Also, the other day, I got into a conversation with one about upcomming nations, and I said that China is almost as rich as the US now and he said "no, China is poor and everyone in China is starving", I mean, what an ignornet comment. Then I said that Israel is a pretty rich nation and he said "no, Israel is poor and full of poverty like everywhere in Asia", I mean, how idiotic, but this seems to be the basic belief of all American kids, they seem to think the the US is the only developed nation in the world?

sorry but such sweeping generalisations make you sound pretty stupid.
  • Options
    How the fuck am I generalising when I have spoken to many American kids and have never spoken to one remotly switched on? And I'm talking about their knowledge of international affairs, not anything else.
  • Options
    try speaking to french 'kids' ...or russian or english ones or any others ...i think you'll find it aint much different.
  • Options
    Actually, tell him that the US isnt rich at all but swimming in debt financed largely by the "poor" China he erroneously believes in. Then tell him his own future has been so deeply mortgaged by the present leadership that he'll be bearing the cost of it throughout his lifetime and passing it on to his own children and grandchildren.

He'll spit bullets I'm sure, since no domestic mainstream US news source dares reveal this awful truth to the general public.
  • Options
    I don't all American kids are stupid, hell Americans have invented many excellent things and have many smart people in it. But the one's that are stupid, are really really stupid.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Americans invented Condensed Milk. Thats about it.

But they are some good ones. It's just their education system and welfare is appaling, so alot kids grow up with crap.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Americans invented Condensed Milk. Thats about it.

Surely you're joking.

Edison for one invented hundreds of great things.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Surely you're joking.

Edison for one invented hundreds of great things.

I was taking the Clarkson appraoch. :p

I actually found that... Americans have invented some things, althoughm ostly they took other's things and improved them. Or someone else did it, but the American one was picked up on moreso.

Ultimatley, America is the world home of technology progress now. They drive it, and design it, China produces it on a large scale, low quality basis.
  • Options
    I'm American. I'm 16. You're angry at generalizations? Stereotypes? Yet you just called every single person 13-17, in America, stupid.

I just created a thread about a USA meet as a joke and to find out who else was American. Interestingly enough, the American stereotype is all about guns, pickup trucks, ..etc etc

You think we're all morons? Just because you've met some stupid kids doesn't mean that everyone in the USA is stupid.

I've met some pretty damn stupid kids from England. We have this one exchanged student in my Physics class. During our studys of Rotational Motion, she asks, "Wait.. so why is everything circular..?" But the fact that I've met a few stupid kids does not by any means make me even come near the conclusion that everyone is stupid.
    I suggest you open your eyes and mind before making such a terrible generalization

-kthx
    now go drink some tea you brit :rolleyes: ;)
  • Options
    Go shoot something from your rusty pickup, yang-kee.
    (Beleive it or not, the USMC handbook to Korea tells you that "Yankee" is pronounced like "Yang-Kee" in Korea. 0_o)

Anyway, I know you aren't ALL stupid. But your education system really fails people... our's isn't great (its pretty pants too) but yours seems to be pretty crap. Especially the stand up and salute the flag attiude of it. It's pracically brainwashing! Well it is, really.

Anyway. I have American Relatives, so I know you aren't all bad. But Steryotypes are fun, I use them jokingly, but I know alot of people take them as fact. It's scary to think that. But come on guys, you elected one of THE stupidest as your leader! How did it happen?
  • Options
    I'm a yankee mongrel, living in Belfast. To tell you the truth I kind of miss the saluting the flag thing they have before class. Everyone over there is a lot prouder of their country, prouder to have American stamped on their passport. Last night my dad got a brick threw at him for being a "fenian". :rolleyes:

Before I moved over here I would have thought the Irish just hung out in bars all day (no jokes plzzz) and ate potatoes. It's just coz us wee yankee childer were weened on peanut butter and the Simpsons and were read tidbits from Oliver. I was taught Social Studies as opposed to Geography, too.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Go shoot something from your rusty pickup, yang-kee.
    (Beleive it or not, the USMC handbook to Korea tells you that "Yankee" is pronounced like "Yang-Kee" in Korea. 0_o)

Anyway, I know you aren't ALL stupid. But your education system really fails people... our's isn't great (its pretty pants too) but yours seems to be pretty crap. Especially the stand up and salute the flag attiude of it. It's pracically brainwashing! Well it is, really.

Anyway. I have American Relatives, so I know you aren't all bad. But Steryotypes are fun, I use them jokingly, but I know alot of people take them as fact. It's scary to think that. But come on guys, you elected one of THE stupidest as your leader! How did it happen?

haha, our education system varies depending on state/town. It BLOWS in some places, but its outstanding in others. I'm pretty sure public schools don't recite the National anthem anymore, not positive though. But pride in ones country is not brainwashing is it? thats something to think about..

Stereotypes are fun hahaha, my friend at schools name is Alistair Hugh Waverly Ballentine, so you can imagine all the british jokes he gets :)

About Bush being the stupidest, did you see the competition? Granted, Bush is a total moron, but honestly, Kerry (heh, kerry king is the man) is the biggest fuckwad the world's ever seen.
  • Options
    images.jpg
  • Options
    haha, our education system varies depending on state/town. It BLOWS in some places, but its outstanding in others. I'm pretty sure public schools don't recite the National anthem anymore, not positive though. But pride in ones country is not brainwashing is it? thats something to think about..

Stereotypes are fun hahaha, my friend at schools name is Alistair Hugh Waverly Ballentine, so you can imagine all the british jokes he gets :)

About Bush being the stupidest, did you see the competition? Granted, Bush is a total moron, but honestly, Kerry (heh, kerry king is the man) is the biggest fuckwad the world's ever seen.

At least Kerry didn't get chucked out the Armed forces...

It's not National Pride to do that. Most of it's Jingoism in the US, sadly. There are alot of proud people... but some of it is fucktarded.
  • Options

Wooo lets hear it for huge generalizations! Please fuck off.
  • Options
    The first post was slightly amusing, but I have to ask where do you find these American kids? Any place where intelligent people are likely to visit and chat?

American students are stupid, but aren't people stupid in general? Once, when the teacher and I were having a discussion about Taiwan and China, we were the only two in the classroom that understood what we meant. As to what they teach in schools, they teach how to pass the state's graduation tests. Well, high school is better than the rest.

No, they can't force you to do anything patriotic since I would either declare it against my religion or just refuse to do it (starting your own cult does have some benefits such as a week of vacation).
  • Options
    Pocky wrote:
    The first post was slightly amusing, but I have to ask where do you find these American kids? Any place where intelligent people are likely to visit and chat?

American students are stupid, but aren't people stupid in general? Once, when the teacher and I were having a discussion about Taiwan and China, we were the only two in the classroom that understood what we meant. As to what they teach in schools, they teach how to pass the state's graduation tests. Well, high school is better than the rest.

No, they can't force you to do anything patriotic since I would either declare it against my religion or just refuse to do it (starting your own cult does have some benefits such as a week of vacation).

True, I notice schools tend to push for test passing rather than knowledge, even here. It's a real disgrace.

I might start my own cult then. Woo.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    True, I notice schools tend to push for test passing rather than knowledge, even here. It's a real disgrace.

I might start my own cult then. Woo.

well of course, School's are rated by how well the students do. A good school has students with high grades. So, since schools are run by humans and humans want to be the "best", they will focus on grades. haha, the real problem here is humans :impissed:
  • Options
    Schools can be shut down if it doesn't appear that their pupils are achieving anything and achievement is based on examination grades. It's the system itself that is fucked up. We're producing stupider kids all of the time because of the ever narrowing curriculum. I'm sure that this is the same in the States too. The only ones that know anything, have found the information out for themselves and have a genuine interest in learning and politics and stuff. I don't therefore I'm a dumb fuck making me the perfect teacher!!
  • Options
    I wonder if they paid teachers more here if education would get slightly better. You see minimun wage retail workers, they don't give a shit. What do you really expect a teacher to do when they spend tens of thousands for education then end up getting paid pittance? And before anybody flames me, as they usually do, I was just being sly as my father is a high school teacher and I was mearly brining up a point.
  • Options
    try speaking to french 'kids' ...or russian or english ones or any others ...i think you'll find it aint much different.
    exactly.
    Most kids are thick and most adults too.
    intelligent people are in a minority in all countries.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I study alongside and share accomodation with Americans... No shit, my flatmate is more cultured than I am... Another one I know knows about Tibet.

Maybe you have run across some dumb Americans, but I'm sure if you talk to a lot of people your age in the uk, they will not know about Israel's economy.
  • Options
    well of course, School's are rated by how well the students do. A good school has students with high grades. So, since schools are run by humans and humans want to be the "best", they will focus on grades. haha, the real problem here is humans :impissed:

Problem always seems to be humans, trapped in the current system we are.
  • Options
    How many people on this thread have actually been to America?

This has to be one of the worst, most misinformed and ignorant bunch of posts I have ever read.

You are all complete and utter morons.
  • Options
    i've been to america twice, and my cousin married an american girl last year
    the americans i spoke to over there are really friendly and seem to be fasinated that i'm from england....but i noticed they didn't seem to know anything about it
    i also noticed because we're a minute country compared to them they think we all know each other...this was a conversation between my dad and an american:

''hey you're from england aren't you?'' (they always say england and never U.K for some reason...imagine if they said that to a welsh/irish/scottish person)
    ''yeap''
    ''i have a cousin in england....do you know him?''
    ''er...no.''

I don't get why americans are so over the top proud of where they're from. I noticed when i was there 90% of houses had got the american flag hung outside. The only time we hang our flag up is when the footballs on. But to be honest, it does come across as quite arrogant to be so in your face proud of being american as if it makes them superior.