Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

People who flight the flag at home

Fly the flag in every garden, Gordon Brown says

What is the point of that? Really? :confused:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not British so no thank you.
  • Options
    Well to be honest I'd extend it to any other nation. I wouldn't do it myself but fair enough if someone wants to adorn their house with flags for the country's national day celebrations.

But what on earth is the point of erecting a pole in your garden and 'flying the flag' permanently? What does that prove?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But what on earth is the point of erecting a pole in your garden and 'flying the flag' permanently? What does that prove?

To show pride of nation, heritage and shit like that. It's something the Americans seem to do more than us, though there's loads of flags on lamp posts round here but that's a different story altogether.
  • Options
    I noticing a pattern here, we seem to be following America again. They gave us Hallowen, Mothers' day and Fathers' day to name a few and now we must flay our flag in our garden like the Americans do. When will this madness end. You want us to be British, yet you tell us to copy America. Surely thats makeing us more American.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    I noticing a pattern here, we seem to be following America again. They gave us Hallowen, Mothers' day and Fathers' day to name a few and now we must flay our flag in our garden like the Americans do. When will this madness end. You want us to be British, yet you tell us to copy America. Surely thats makeing us more American.

but surely doing anything is copying someone? america is one of the biggest countries in the world so its not surpsing that we seem to be copying them more often.

we still drive on the left, unlike the rest of the world, afterall.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Why? Does it have to be a Union Jack? What are we, Rednecks?

Daft Idea, daft daft daft. Especially as I am supprised New Labour didn't claim this would offend Etnic Minorities like they claim EVERYTHING does. Then said Minorities come out and tell people it doesn't. (Which the mail likes to look over.)

Oh well. Silly idea.
  • Options
    Im all for people waving the flag if they want to, but i do not see the point in doing all the time, putting up every day and down every night. Not with how much it rains here!
  • Options
    Perpetual flag waving is indicative of mindless knee-jerk nationalism, something which serves those in power as an emotive appeal for allegiance to their aims and intents in the absence of reasoned transparent justifications and informed public discourse.

Burn the damn pieces of cloth and let our leaders submit to the constant public scrutiny required for the maintenance of healthy participatory democratic systems.
  • Options
    i'll dig out my old bob marley flag ...
  • Options
    i dont have to fly a flag to feel proud of my country - that's if i was proud of the route this country is going down
  • Options
    I think flying the flag more in schools and public buildings would be a good idea but I think it’s going a bit too far for the Chancellor to suddenly encourage everyone to ‘fly the flag in every garden.’ Anyway this is just Brown talking populist to try and woo support, he knows he can’t go wrong supporting this kind of patriotism. He’ll probably start telling everybody in England to celebrate St George’s Day or better still if he really wants to pick up patriotic support he’ll talk about making St George’s Day a bank holiday in England or something.

I really can’t be bothered with this sort of stuff though, like discussions regarding fox hunting and banning flag burning or whatever it’s really pointless and irrelevant and there are far more important things that our politicians should be talking about. I'd like to hear Gordan talking about the NHS, public transport, terrorism, AIDS, the environment, the developing world and crime before he talks about trivial stuff like this.

Going back to fox hunting I’m puzzled by the mindset of people who fund the animal rights groups that pushed for a ban. It might be a noble cause but when there are people starving to death I can’t really see the logic in spending money to save vermin when that money could save human lives.
  • Options
    But there are plenty of organisations, official bodies and individuals already providing/caring for/funding human relief operations and charities. That we are unable to solve all problems mankind faces does not mean we should ignore all other issues.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But there are plenty of organisations, official bodies and individuals already providing/caring for/funding human relief operations and charities. That we are unable to solve all problems mankind faces does not mean we should ignore all other issues.

No, it doesn’t. And I think we can recognise that funding environmental projects which will produce long term positive consequences is justifiable. However, I don’t see the same with animal welfare groups. Not when there are people starving to death and relief charities that need more money. And since I don’t have a bottomless pit of money to donate to charitable causes I only donate to the most important. And I think most people are in that position. And I don’t think anybody can ever argue that a fox’s welfare is more important than education or food for someone in the developing world. I know pushed to extremes this kind of thinking could suggest that we never buy any luxury since we could do something better with our money by giving it to Oxfam. But - I find it ridiculous that has Parliament spent more time on fox hunting than matters concerning the developing world. And the same goes against giving money to Oxfam and such vs the League Against Cruel Sports, etc.
  • Options
    Well no, they shouldn't use more money on animal welfare than other vital issues. But it is not wrong to use some money for animal causes though.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well no, they shouldn't use more money on animal welfare than other vital issues. But it is not wrong to use some money for animal causes though.

But surely for as long as there are people dying of starvation, AIDS, etc and the causes to help those people need money these causes should always take priority over animal welfare?

I can see the problems with this, I mean you could further argue that it would be wrong to give money to a charity helping the elderly here when you could help children in Africa and I know it's people's own business what they give to but there really are a lot better causes than saving animals. People might think saving cute fluffy animals is nice and it is but it must come second to the important work done by development and relief charities.
  • Options
    I think it all comes down to common sense. I can't afford much but have a couple of small direct debits with 'human' (if you take my meaning) charities And on occasion I give an on-the-spot donation to an animal charity. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

If we were talking about someone who's given in their lifetime tens of thousands of quid to animal charities but not much money at all to 'human' ones I could see it as a bit more questionable. Though they could argue that since far more people is giving money to human causes, someone has to take care of animal ones.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I think it all comes down to common sense. I can't afford much but have a couple of small direct debits with 'human' (if you take my meaning) charities And on occasion I give an on-the-spot donation to an animal charity. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

If we were talking about someone who's given in their lifetime tens of thousands of quid to animal charities but not much money at all to 'human' ones I could see it as a bit more questionable. Though they could argue that since far more people is giving money to human causes, someone has to take care of animal ones.

Yeah, I think I agree with your middle ground there.. I’ve probably just been spending too much time revising utilitarianism for my A-level Ethics re-take next week.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    I noticing a pattern here, we seem to be following America again.

Let's just hope we don't start shooting each other (more than now), then.

I wouldn't put a flag up in my fucking garden (if I had one). I don't go for the whole patriotism, thing...I just live here.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:

indeed.

the thought of more American-isms catching on here frightens me.
  • Options
    I agree to flight the flag on special occasions, but every day is too much in my opinion.
  • Options
    I shall fly the Soviet flag, methinks. And play the National Anthem (can you bleeive the Russian national anthem is still the same? I mean, come on, you should change it when something like that happens.)
  • Options
    Doesn't make sense really, im welsh as we know and i have welsh and scottish friends. We would much rather fly the flags of our own nations, as im sure a number of english people would like to fly the st georges cross. I guess Mr Brown is suggesting it in order to try and make the flag not be ascosiated with rascist thugs.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Doesn't make sense really, im welsh as we know and i have welsh and scottish friends. We would much rather fly the flags of our own nations, as im sure a number of english people would like to fly the st georges cross. I guess Mr Brown is suggesting it in order to try and make the flag not be ascosiated with rascist thugs.

:confused:

Sorry just because the BBC made the insinuation that the union jack was associated with the BNP doesn't make it so mate! It's a very complicated issue, and in Northern Ireland it's worse, basically I'm not british, i'm not english I'm nothing to do with the union jack. I'll fly the tricolour out my window everyday just to piss all you patriotist colonionist fucks off..Oglaigh na hEireann!! Beidh ar la linn! :D
  • Options
    I'ma go get me a Union Jack.
  • Options
    *sorts through flag collection and vacilates over a choice between the Austrian diplomatic (State) flag and the Welsh flag.

flag-AustriaState-lg.gif

welsh_flag.gif
  • Options
    Iran.gif
    Yeah! :thumb:
  • Options
    The only flag worth flying:

RealMadridLargeFlagWht.gif

:p
  • Options
    This man likes to fly his flag from the rooftop!
    Soviet%20Flag%20Over%20Reichstag.jpg
    Although all the locals don't like it that much. :o
  • Options
    Its interesting Brown said that 'every American flys the flag in their garden' surely he must have been there at least once. They dont do this, its one in 10 at the absolute max, and those people are often viewed as wierd.

Being proud of your country isnt a bad thing, and I think us Brits do have a bad habit of just assuming everything will be shite and moaning but not doing anything positive about it.

But lets face it, this idea isnt about getting people to be more proud, its about getting Muslims not to be scary anymore and to 'fit in'.
  • Options
    I dont find Muslims scary in the slightest. May not agree with their religious beliefs but have always found them to be kind and generous people.

My own countrymen are the ones who scare me.