Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Parent Affair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I found out today that my Dad has been having an affair with a girl half his age.

My Mum is really upset and took an overdose, but is going to be ok.

I'm going to stay with my Mum from tomorrow until the weekend, but I'm not sure what to say or do to help. Especially when my emotions are very up and down about the whole thing myself.

Anyone ever been in the same situation? :(

Comments

• Options
    My Mum and Dad split up in 2002, I was just 17. My Mum had an affair with a guy she used to go to school with... she left me, my Dad and my younger brother to be with him.

All you can do is be there for your Mum. There's not a lot else really... I stayed with my Dad and was just there for him. I had some pretty good mates I could talk to and get my emotions out away from my Dad.

I'm really glad your Mum's gonna be OK. If you wanna talk about it, give me a PM. Good luck mate, look after yourself xxx
  • Options
    i think if shes up for it, why not go out for the day? maybe go shopping, treat her to dinner, let her know people care for her???
    Just have a laugh and help her take her mind off things, she may be emotional but she'll be grateful!
  • Options
    Don't forget there's two sides to the story and that your dad is still your dad...
  • Options
    I've just spent all night at the hospital as my Mum took another overdose.

My Dad just came to the house to tell us my Nan has had a stroke.

Things just keep getting worse and I feel so useless.

I'm finding it really hard to cope with everything that's gone on and stay strong for my Mum. :(
  • Options
    your nan as in your dads mum? if it was me then personally i wouldn't have much to do with my dad right now after what he'd done and the upset he'd caused. Your mum is the one in need right now....then hopefully when stuff is sorted you can go from there.
  • Options
    !!!!
  • Options
    Charlie84 wrote:
    It was my mum's fault she left my dad for someone alot younger.

Off topic, but it seems really unfair to blame the parent that left because they left...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Off topic, but it seems really unfair to blame the parent that left because they left...
    true but then again, a lot of grown ups handle it really childishly by just turning round to their family and saying 'i've found someone else...i'm leaving, bye' and then just clearing off - so its hardly difficult to blame them
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    your nan as in your dads mum? if it was me then personally i wouldn't have much to do with my dad right now after what he'd done and the upset he'd caused. Your mum is the one in need right now....then hopefully when stuff is sorted you can go from there.

Ok her dads in the wrong but *hellie* it depends on your relationship with your nan as to how you feel about this. Your mum needs you thats a fact. You need to do what you feel is right. It might feel like the worlds coming to an end at the moment but im sure it will all work out. Dont do what anyone wants you to. Just go with what you feel is best!

Good luck, hope it all works out!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    true but then again, a lot of grown ups handle it really childishly by just turning round to their family and saying 'i've found someone else...i'm leaving, bye' and then just clearing off - so its hardly difficult to blame them

Yeah, you're right. The way someone leaves a relationship and family could be really hurtful.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

I don't think it is. The one who breaks the family, its their fault.
  • Options
    Yeah but Kermit, they might be leaving because their partner is crap, therefore it is the crappy partnre that has broken the family by being crappy. (not in relation to OP)
  • Options
    You cheat on your partner, and you are 100% to blame for everything. That's how I see it.

Amicable splits are very much different.
  • Options
    well, it's that attitude that I think is unreasonable.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    katralla wrote:
    well, it's that attitude that I think is unreasonable.

Why, exactly?

If someone strays away from home then they are the ones to blame for the breakup of the marriage. If there are problems and they decide to break it off amicably and then go off with someone else, then it is fair enough.

Not too often I agree with Kermit but her is 110% right in this case.

In response to the original poster, I have never been in a similar position. Be there for your mum, give her your support.
  • Options
    What if one partner has had continuous affairs for a long time and the other one day has enough and leaves for someone better?

Even worse what if one parent has only their name on the deeds of the house is having affairs and tells the other that if they split up they will be homeless? Extreme examples but then a generalisation like blaming one parent is ignoring all these extreme cases.
  • Options
    Why, exactly?

If someone strays away from home then they are the ones to blame for the breakup of the marriage.

But that's not true, someone could stray from a marriage because it is broken.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    But that's not true, someone could stray from a marriage because it is broken.

Then they should leave, not have an affair. Really, this is pretty simple.

Anyway this thread is not the place for such arguements, hellie was after advice, not an investigation.
  • Options
    plenty of reasons for someone to not be in a position to leave a bad relationship spring to mind- your kids hating you and assuming you're the bad-guy, for example. But yes, has nowt to do with hellie's dilema and request for advice and support. I mentioned it because people assume the leaver is the bad-guy. Even if her Dad was the bad guy for leaving/having an affair, and it's her mum who needs the most immediate support, it might be better for hellie to remember how she felt about her father before she knew about the affair. He wasn't cheating on her, if he loved her before, I'm sure he loves her still and must hurt to know that she disstrusts him.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You cheat on your partner, and you are 100% to blame for everything. That's how I see it.
    :no: Not necessarily. People cheat for many different reasons. Rarely is one partner in a marriage 100% to blame.

If for example a husband is violent and the wife has an affair and the new guy gives the woman the strength to leave or the place to go to when she leaves then can you really say that she is solely responsible for the break-up of her marriage?

OP. In my experience parent politics are complicated and there is often more to things than you, as the "child" gets to hear about. Try not to block your Dad out especially not just to please others such as your mother or other family members.
  • Options
    The best thing you can really do is try to comfort your mother, she's obviously very traumatised, which is understandable.

Although, despite the pain he's caused your mom, I wouldn't get too annoyed at him, after all, you don't know the full story yet, so, if he tries to explain, give him the chance to before you get too worked up.

I'm sure it must be upsetting for you to go through this but surely if your mom and dad come out happier, that should make you happier? Maybe you don't see that yet but it's still early days.

Don't worry. :)
  • Options
    katralla, I really don't think you get it.

My Mum walked out on us for a different fella. Her exact words were 'I can't live like this anymore, I want my life back.'

So, get this. She had a loving husband and two well-behaved kids (I'm not blowing my own trumpet, but we don't cause trouble). She didn't have to work, she'd been looked after and loved by a family for over 18 years. She couldn't even sit down with my Dad and tell him she was unhappy. Yet, she tells us she wants her life back. Without even trying to sort it out - because she's a selfish bitch.

It is attitudes like yours that let people like my Mum get away without a bad reputation. My Mum was a complete bitch and still is - and she doesn't deserve any kind of sympathy from anyone. But it's people like you that give her false reasons for her behaviour.

It winds me up. Not that you can't tell.
  • Options
    katralla, I really don't think you get it.

My Mum walked out on us for a different fella. Her exact words were 'I can't live like this anymore, I want my life back.'

So, get this. She had a loving husband and two well-behaved kids (I'm not blowing my own trumpet, but we don't cause trouble). She didn't have to work, she'd been looked after and loved by a family for over 18 years. She couldn't even sit down with my Dad and tell him she was unhappy. Yet, she tells us she wants her life back. Without even trying to sort it out - because she's a selfish bitch.

It is attitudes like yours that let people like my Mum get away without a bad reputation. My Mum was a complete bitch and still is - and she doesn't deserve any kind of sympathy from anyone. But it's people like you that give her false reasons for her behaviour.

It winds me up. Not that you can't tell.

I think the point was no individual case. Plus giving one example hardly seems fair to justify generalising a huge group of people. I don't think it's really nesscesary to be quite so aggresive, chill out katrella wasn't trying to let people do bad things and get away with it. Katrella was just pointing out that its not always the case.
  • Options
    I think the point was no individual case. Plus giving one example hardly seems fair to justify generalising a huge group of people. I don't think it's really nesscesary to be quite so aggresive, chill out katrella wasn't trying to let people do bad things and get away with it. Katrella was just pointing out that its not always the case.

It sounds to me like she's never been in the situation though. |Which gives her no right to make assumptions. At least I've been there - I gave my account of what it's like as an example.
  • Options
    Well, unless Hollie's father really is undeniable a complete w**k*r, which I suggest 'just' the offence of being the partner that had the affair and left doesn't guarantee, she may want to keep the place in her heart for him and not write him off. What do you gain by harbouring animosity towards your mother SHNT?
  • Options
    It sounds to me like she's never been in the situation though. |Which gives her no right to make assumptions. At least I've been there - I gave my account of what it's like as an example.

You being in the situation does not mean you know what it's like every time. If anything you are more biased. Katrella has at no point said that it isn't ever the one that walks away just that it isn't always which is a sensible comment. Plus you are now making the assumption she has never been in a similar situation so I don't see what grounds you had to be so aggresive.
  • Options
    I never said to the original poster that she shouldn't speak to her Dad. She should do what SHE wants to do, what makes her happy, and what she's comfortable with right now. She might not even know what she wants. At the moment, being open-minded to the situation and speaking to both parents might help her make a decision about how she wants to deal with it.

My situation is certainly detailed, and if I want to 'harbour animosity towards my mother' then I will. It's not she has ever made any effort with me. But, answering your question in details would then make me look agreesive and biased, so I'll keep it to myself.

It was my own personal experience and opinion. It wasn't meant to be seen as aggressive. I'm not assuming katralla hasn't been in the same situation - I said 'it sounds like'. If she has, then fair enough. She can put me in my place and tell me.
  • Options
    I never said to the original poster that she shouldn't speak to her Dad. She should do what SHE wants to do, what makes her happy, and what she's comfortable with right now. She might not even know what she wants. At the moment, being open-minded to the situation and speaking to both parents might help her make a decision about how she wants to deal with it.

My situation is certainly detailed, and if I want to 'harbour animosity towards my mother' then I will. It's not she has ever made any effort with me. But, answering your question in details would then make me look agreesive and biased, so I'll keep it to myself.

It was my own personal experience and opinion. It wasn't meant to be seen as aggressive. I'm not assuming katralla hasn't been in the same situation - I said 'it sounds like'. If she has, then fair enough. She can put me in my place and tell me.

I don't think Katralla ever said you shouldn't harbour animosity. She was arguing that its not always the walk aways fault. That was all. Which I reckon is fair enough. One experiance doesn't mean that every single case is the same which was all that was being pointed out.
  • Options
    I don't think Katralla ever said you shouldn't harbour animosity.

She asked me what I gain from it.
    She was arguing that its not always the walk aways fault. That was all.

I was arguing - like some other people - that in my opinion, in most cases it is the walk-aways fault in the way of an affair. If we're talking about amicable splits and other situations, then different opinions apply.
    Which I reckon is fair enough.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, so yeah, I agree.
    One experiance doesn't mean that every single case is the same which was all that was being pointed out.

I gave my experience to back up my opinion.
  • Options
    I dont think generalisations should be made, as even people in the same situation have different ideas on he outcome.

My parents split up when i was 17...i'm 23 now. I probably took it harder than my brother and sister cos i'm the youngest and was around at home more when things started getting horrible. I personally blame both my parents. I blame my mum for leaving and promising to take me with her and then not at a time when i must admit i was scared of my dad, and i also blame my dad for his alcoholism and subsequent violence which was one factor causing my mum to leave. However on the other sides, my brother solely blames my mum for walking away and wont talk to her, whereas my sister blames my dad for his behaviour and wont talk to him...my life is very complex.

*hellie* you are going through a horrible time right now. Your mum needs a lot of your time and support. However dont forget your feelings too. I have only, in the past year or so started to come to terms with everything that went on, as at the time i had a rubbish boyfriend, and although i did talk to my friends, i was a bit closed off about it. My boyfriend of 3 years now has listened to me slowly over time, when i have wanted to talk and he's been fab. Dont bottle your feelings up cos of feeling dutiful to ignore yourself and help your mum. I would also say you should visit your gran, as im assuming she had no part in your dad's affair? One of the worst parts of my parents split was not seeing my family, who i used to see so regularly, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins...as for your dad, you know your feelings about him, and if you are ready to see him properly. Chin up, make sure you talk to someone about your feelings, and i hope your mum gets better soon *hugs* :)