Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

First Dog.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This website
    is quite good, you answer a few questions and then it suggests a list of breeds
  • Options
    I'll say Labradors as well. I have a big black one called Murphy and he's gorgeous. Soft as anything with the kids, loves to play. Has a bark you'd be a fool to ignore. He's very protective, very intelligent and was easy to train.

True that the vacuum cleaner has to be your new best friend though.
  • Options
    Springer Spaniels are gorgeous dogs. They never lose the puppy dog look. However as said you will probably not find a dog that can match them for stamina. I find they are incredibly intelligent dogs (they are the ones used as sniffer dogs as well as gun dogs). They love getting dirty and wet though. Usually they are built quite sturdily so they are excellent around kids, also if you have them from a puppy and get them used to it they are very tolerant. I find they also are very relaxed dogs in general, fireworks don't even make my dog blink.

However to reiterate they DO need taking for good walks. My dog on a normal day will run with a German Shepherd until that lies down and has enough. Chase the local staffie round for a bit until that is tired out and lies down. Come to me and walk out of field with me before running back onto the field to try and run with a greyhound. Utterly bonkers.
  • Options
    I think I'll get a collie/lab or other collie cross when I get a dog.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Staffy's and English Bull terriers have an excellent temperament (they don't call the satffy the 'nanny dog' for nothing') but they are useless guard dogs. You may also run into a bit of trouble when they encounter other dogs but that's got a lot to do with how you socialize them as pups.

Best thing about Staffy's and English's is that they're dependable, people fiendly and extremely couragous.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Springer Spaniels are gorgeous dogs. Utterly bonkers.

That's the problem with them, they're totally manic. A lot of my mates keep Springers for gun dogs and beating but they're fucking hard work.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Go to the pound and see which one you like, pure breeds will cost a fortune and sometimes have nasty health problems.
    :yes: Got it in one... Mutts live longer too.

I'd say it depeds on how experienced you are with actually training the dog.
  • Options
    american spaniel?
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    That's the problem with them, they're totally manic. A lot of my mates keep Springers for gun dogs and beating but they're fucking hard work.

Awwww but they try so hard to please all the time? They do calm down eventually but they are well known for having very active lives. I think its very rewarding.
  • Options
    we have a black labradpr retriever .. lovely dog, really gentle .. he's a few years old now and still acts like a pup

i think theyre the best!
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    I'll say Labradors as well. I have a big black one called Murphy and he's gorgeous. Soft as anything with the kids, loves to play. Has a bark you'd be a fool to ignore. He's very protective, very intelligent and was easy to train.

True that the vacuum cleaner has to be your new best friend though.

:yes:

We've got a yellow labrador and he's great. Everyone on the estate knows his name because he loves kids with a passion. Even though he's huge if a guest comes round he jumps at the porch windows until they come in and give him attention. He's well trained, never a problem (Except for all the hair that gets everywhere!) etc. They love food though, because my mums the one that feeds him most of the time he follows her round everywhere, and he tries not to misbehave in case she doesn't give him as much food haha. And he won't eat his food until he's gotten what he can of our dinner (Mostly my brothers who fall for his sad little 'i've never been fed' face). Great dogs, great fun and give you a run for your money when you have a tug of war with them :p
  • Options
    I agree with the majority - an RSPCA or rescue centre is the best place to get a dog. - There are already thousands abandoned dogs needing homes, what's the point in spending stupid amounts of money on a pure bred puppy?

We got Sophie (a Lhasa Apso X Chinese Crested) from the RSPCA when she was 7 weeks old and she's the most beautiful pup in the world!!!

Ilora x
  • Options
    You don't necessarily have to shell out loads to get a pure bred. We got Murphy at DogsTrust and he's pure lab. I didn't looke round all the dogs personally, but whilst I was up there meeting him etc. I also saw some people walking a pure bred doberman pinscher.

Also my Dad breeds show dogs, and I know that the ones which aren't good for showing he sells quite cheaply as pets.