Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

at my wits end with flatmate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i know a lot of students have to deal with this... but this is extreme and atm it seems to be beyond dealing with.

basically, all my flat mate ever does, all the time that she is here, is play VERY loud clubbing / house music. - it turns my room practically into a night club and goes on until the early hours of the morning every night. she won't come out of her room or open the door or anything. she constantly hibernates in there and hardly ever comes out.

i did write a polite note before and i put it under her door asking her to turn her music down - did no good what so ever, although hours later she did turn it off for a bit.

i am honestly, beginning to feel at my wits end because i cannot do anything at home. i cannot concentrate on anything either, i'm knackerd because i cannot sleep except for a couple of hours when it goes quiet in the night. i cannot even put my music on to listen to without hers drowning it out. ear plugs don't work. the walls shake and the ceiling and floor vibrate as well. most of the time i don't want to be at home. - and i feel like my nerves are on edge now all the time and i'm doing stupid things to try and cope. - i'm even taking temazepam to sleep - but i cannot sleep; and my emotions are all over the place too: lack of sleep and having to listen to that constantly: and i'm crying at everything.

i'm thinking i'm going to try and contact the landlord on monday and she if she can do anything?!! - IF she is able to talk to my flatmate - but until then can anyone help or offer advice or anything?! :(

Comments

• Options
    might be borderline extreme, but is threatening them out of the question?
    "turn that @#*£$%# music down or i'll @~#^&(* (insert threat here).
    Or how about a taste of their own medicine, as soon as they go to sleep then turn your music up full blast but play something you know they will hate.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    but play something you know they will hate.
    shame i don't have any celine dion.
    icey wrote:
    is threatening them out of the question?
    i don't really want to threaten her. although in all honesty i wish i could take her out of her room and beat her to a pulp and smash her stereo... but i won't.
  • Options
    Does she have a lock on her door?

If not, go in her room when she is next out, and disconnect a wire from the plug of the stereo.

Thats just a short term solution so that you can have a bit of peace.

You need to speak to your landlord though. Sound pollution after 11pm is illegal for a start
  • Options
    do you live with more than just her? if you do, what do the other people you live with think?
  • Options
    Blah wrote:

If not, go in her room when she is next out, and disconnect a wire from the plug of the stereo.

Thats just a short term solution so that you can have a bit of peace.

You need to speak to your landlord though. Sound pollution after 11pm is illegal for a start

better still, unplug it, unscrew the plug, take the fuse out, screw it back together, then leave everything as it was when you found it :thumb:
  • Options
    my other flatmate is not here all the time - she goes home to her folks a lot and is just here for 2 days or so each week when she's got lectures at the uni.

we've all got locks on our doors.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    better still, unplug it, unscrew the plug, take the fuse out, screw it back together, then leave everything as it was when you found it :thumb:

Think of the consequences though...got to be sneaky about these things. If she opens up the plug to find the fuse gone then she will know its been removed, as fuses dont just disappear from plugs. Then Otter may face her playing her music even louder/for longer, as a punishment for removing her fuse.

If otter simply disconnects a wire then the finger cannot be pointed :) and there will be no rebelling.

otter wrote:
    we've all got locks on our doors.

Shame :( can you get into her room while shes in the shower or anything? Or does she lock it?
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Think of the consequences though...got to be sneaky about these things. If she opens up the plug to find the fuse gone then she will know its been removed, as fuses dont just disappear from plugs.

hmm true, I hadn't quite thought that through... :chin:
  • Options
    In a similar situation, do people really need music that loud? The walls in our halls are pretty much made of carboard, if someone coughs three doors down you can hear then. I have my headphones on (helps me concentrate) but i can still hear there dance shit. Some people really dont give a shit about anyone
  • Options
    call envromental health, not sure how that would work when living in the same building. i've had to call them on someone in next flat over and above a few years back when in uni. i was in final year them in first year. Threats will only make it worse (trust me on that one), landlord might beable to do something. but only if its backed up with kicking them out. other than that i'd say smash the hifi in or cut the speaker cable or power cable
  • Options
    Youngball is right - taking it to an authority (anonymously) like EH might just work. More here
  • Options
    reminds of my bro lol

After a few sleepless nights survival kicks in for me, I would suggest torching her hi fi and blaming it on a crazy person (obviously not yourself) or make her so scared she wont do it again.
    Seriously though, I would have a direct chat with her if thats useless try the landlord and if all else fails try and find somewhere else to live and find out about the tenants first.

I know how you feel with the sleep though, drives you mad, makes you crap in performance, etc :(
  • Options
    I would probably try the sucky approach first. Even though she is completely in the wrong here, you might get a better response if you talk to her face to face with something like- 'I'm really sorry to bring htis up but I'm finding it really hard to concentrate on my work and to just relax at all as I'm pretty sensitive to loud music" (see what I did there- made it your sensitivity and not her insensitivity) "I don't want to spoil the freedom we've got now we're at uni but I was hoping we could come to an agreement on some hours we could set aside for study and quiet time?" (here- you're letting her think sh'es in control a bit by suggesting an 'agreement') "I dunno what time you normally get up but I'm really bad without my eight hours sleep, these walls are too darn thin eh? Bloody modern building standards" (put the blame away from her being a knob) "Can I ask you to turn your music down after ****** o'clock, not off- obviously it's your right to entertain yourself in your room but we could have check now to see what number on your stereo volume is less disturbing for me. And, while we're having this review, are there any issues in the house that you're having?" (you've asked her a question- she could be a dick and bring up something petty here but... you didn't give her a chance to reply to your suggested hour, and therefore you can take her lack of arguement as agreement. Then, if she leaves her music on later- you are perfectly within your rights to give her a friendly knock on the door and remind her of the time!)

Or just tell her to shut the f*** up and trip the fuse for the upstairs electrics at bedtime...
  • Options
    Trip Switch?

Other plan is when you wake up- say 6am play your music insanely loud. I found Guns N Roses - Welcome to the Jungle is abrasive enough at full blast to stop people doing it. Just inform them it happens every time they keep you awake.

Oh and on the trip switch idea, it even better if you can find the localised trip switch for that room if it has one.
  • Options
    What you need is someone local with a noisy motorbike!! ;)

Don't go into her room, no matter how tempted. There is a good chance something will go wrong, and she'll get in touch with the landlord about entering her private residence - which is almost certainly worse than just noise pollution.

Spray some ammonia under her door. That should help her leave the house a little :).

Your landlord is the best bet. Phone them late one night and complain that despite repeated requests, she will not play music at a sensible volume at sensible times. Call your landlord each night until the situation is resolved. Also consider holding payment until the problem is addressed - don't try and get out of paying any rent; just use it as a measure to help persuade that action is required.

Good luck :).
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    i'm thinking i'm going to try and contact the landlord on monday and she if she can do anything?!! - IF she is able to talk to my flatmate - but until then can anyone help or offer advice or anything?!

To be honest i can't believe you haven't done anything sooner about it, especially if it's bringing you to the point of crying and making you feel uneasy and tired. First give her a warning (so you can always tell the police/landlord that you did and gets you out of more trouble if you get in some), but don't let it be a 'sensitive' warning like someone else suggested otherwise she'll just think you're a walk over and keep on doing it, but don't swear either. Just say like 'you're gonna have to stop playing you music so loud cos i can't sleep.' If she doesn't comply get into her room one way or another and take her stereo away and deny you took it. Then that evening knock on her door saying you're going out for the night, rig up her stereo and play it as loud as you can ALL night long with the door locked so she can't get in, with like Slip Knot playing or something, or record weird annoying noises like a baby crying or a siren, put them onto a CD and play them. That'll really piss her off.

Screw the landlord/police you can have some fun here getting her back, the options are endless, im getting excited just thinking about how you could get her back. Good Luck, tell us how it goes.
  • Options
    I'd wait ill she'd been asleep for 2 hours or so, then do the same back to them. Except twice as loud. And i'd keep doing it until she stopped doing it.

But that isn't the mature way :p
  • Options
    Blah wrote:

An interesting idea, though the resultant sparking electrical arc could potentially start a fire that will burn down the flat. Bit extreme in my opinion.

I'm a bit confused why you sent your flatmate a note, instead of actually speaking to her.

I'd try everything possible to sort it out with the flatmate before involving outside parties to be honest.

Killing the power at the fuse box seems like a reasonable idea.
  • Options
    i don't think harming her property would go down too well! it'll just make her want to play it louder. also i don't think the anonymous thing would work..seeing as only 2 of them really live there. as you've tried asking her yourself and she hasn't listened, i'd speak to your landlord.
  • Options
    Just had a new brainwave - how about pouring a bit of water into the back through the vents while its turned off and shes not in, then when she turns it on it will just blow and not work. Chances are if shes sharing a flat that she wont be able to afford to go out and buy a brand new stereo outright so that should buy you a few months of peace at least :D
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Just had a new brainwave - how about pouring a bit of water into the back through the vents while its turned off and shes not in, then when she turns it on it will just blow and not work. Chances are if shes sharing a flat that she wont be able to afford to go out and buy a brand new stereo outright so that should buy you a few months of peace at least :D

Really. Are you insane? You want to pour water into the back of someone's stereo?

Fuck's sake.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Really. Are you insane? You want to pour water into the back of someone's stereo?

Fuck's sake.

chances are the flatmate would never click on as its doubtful the stereo would blow up so to speak, it would just deaden the fuse and make it useless.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    chances are the flatmate would never click on as its doubtful the stereo would blow up so to speak, it would just deaden the fuse and make it useless.

Ahh well then in that case I guess it's perfectly acceptable to prepare for murdering your flatmate by loading her stereo with water. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Actually here's something I've seen work.

A friend had this problem with a flatmate so what we did was:

Go into their room. I picked the lock and in we where.
    Pull out the cables from the speakers but only just a little bit.
    This makes them unstable electrically and eventually they'll burn out.
    Plus it makes them think something's seriously wrong with their stereo as it screws the sound really bad.
    Now when they come back you tell'em that if they keep playing the stereo that loud: "the stable natural magnet in their audio output wind-tunnel of the sub-woofer will eventually come into electrical and mechanical contact with the mobile electromagnet on the playback head's end thus permanently destroying the unifomrity of the reflection cones in the speaker hence it will be destroyed."
    Sit back and wait. It will only take a little time for the speakers to blow out.
    They'll need to buy new ones.

In the case of my friend the flatmate decided to use headphones which he found out would give him a real bad headache. So he stopped listening to loud music.

If it doesn't work you can always call the cops. If THAT don't help the only option I can see right now would be: http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn46-e.htm
  • Options
    I must be getting old, almost every reply to this thread has been disconcertingly immature.

Talk to your flatmate, in person, explain that she's making life uncomfortable for you.
  • Options
    Talking should be the first attempt and a few other after. but sometime it just makes things worse as they will continue to spite you.

Sugoruyo, the barret would be better
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I must be getting old, almost every reply to this thread has been disconcertingly immature.

Talk to your flatmate, in person, explain that she's making life uncomfortable for you.

she doesn't come out of her room though, or answer the door or anything. (thats why i wrote a note, Mist)

thanks for the replys you guys. you've given me some rather insane ideas... but hey! the way i'm feeling atm i might just be tempted to act on them. :angel: - i wonder how being provocked stands up in court?! - then again, i'm too fu*king nice to do anyone any real damage.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    Sugoruyo, the barret would be better

What you mean the one they call the light fifty? I don't think so. It's older less hi-tech and stuff but let's not start a gun argument here.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Fiend_85 wrote:

No, you are not getting old, most of the replies have been stupidly immature.

Communication is the key. Not injuring or murdering her :|
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    she doesn't come out of her room though, or answer the door or anything. (thats why i wrote a note, Mist)

So you're saying that she lives in her room and never eats, drinks or goes outside? :confused:

Most of the replies in here have been insane nonsense. And I don't believe that the law is passed yet, so planning and killing somone under provocation would still land you a murder charge.