Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

First Dog.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've always grown up with dogs, my mum bred Lhasa Apsos, Pugs, Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers - all sorts.

I'll be moving out of my appartment into a proper house in April, and am looking to by my first dog of my own. Since I've grown up with a range of such small dogs, I'm looking for something at least as big as a Lhasa, but not really much bigger than a Labrador.

Taking into account a combination of how good pets they make, along with to a certain extent how popular they are, ie. no obscure Italian breeds no-one has heard of, which breeds would you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Staffy.

If you were prepared to go bigger I would say a Rhodesian Ridgeback.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm sure you're already familiar with how much work there is with a dog around already. I'm not too sure what to recommend. We've had a Springer Spaniel in this house before, and he seemed to like it. They need lots of exercise though. As we've got a huge garden, we're lucky, but loads of walkies as Springers have boundless energy. What we have now is a German Shepherd. He loves this house, he's a total baby now though as he doesn't like the rain or the cold weather. :eek2: Not a breed I'd particularly recommend in this case, they're family dogs. I'll have to think more about this one.
  • Options
    Go to the pound and see which one you like, pure breeds will cost a fortune and sometimes have nasty health problems.
  • Options
    ^^^^

I'd agree with that, or get in touch with the RSPCA who can give you names of "foster" parents who are keeping dogs (either with puppies, or about to have) in your area.

If you want a thorough-bred my preference would be Lab or Golden Retriever.
  • Options
    It's nice to go to kennel and pick one, but it's far nicer to go and buy a non-mongrel as a pup.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    A mongrel. They are the best :thumb:
  • Options
    While it would be cheaper to go to the pound, I'd prefer to get a thorough-bred and pay the extra. Especially with all my mum's breeding experience, might have a crack at that in the future.

briggi, I was looking into Golden Retrievers, they seem quite what I'm looking for. Anyone have a Boxer?
  • Options
    Golden retriever?
  • Options
    z0ma wrote:
    Anyone have a Boxer?

Yeah. He's called Ricky Hatton and loves being scrathed behind the ears.
  • Options
    Good one.
  • Options
    z0ma wrote:
    While it would be cheaper to go to the pound, I'd prefer to get a thorough-bred and pay the extra. Especially with all my mum's breeding experience, might have a crack at that in the future.

briggi, I was looking into Golden Retrievers, they seem quite what I'm looking for. Anyone have a Boxer?

I've got a cavalier king charles. They're lovely but they can have knee problems and heart problems...mine has both but he's coming up on 11 years now. The knee problems he's had since he was a pup though and it was £1000 worth of operations...

As far as I've heard boxers are great and really playful but they need a hell of a lot of excercise and have a habit of completely shredding your house and everything in it! Not one to be left alone at all!!

Get a West Highland Terrier. They're small, cute and friendly :yes:
  • Options
    z0ma wrote:
    Good one.

• Options
    z0ma wrote:
    briggi, I was looking into Golden Retrievers, they seem quite what I'm looking for.

We had one when I younger and usd to take her beating. Lovely dogs but it's quite common for the to suffer terrible arthritis when they're older. Long hair means they take quite a bit of maintenance too.

z0ma wrote:
    Anyone have a Boxer?

My mates got a couple of boxers and they're quality dogs. Dopey as fuck but very funny. They suffer from breathing problems and don't live all that long unfortunately.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    double post oops
  • Options
    jus get a cat:p or a daschund puppy. omg they are so cute. no wait a corgi.aww. not very manly mind. i know a couple people with pure bred labs and they are lovely:D
  • Options
    no wiat a corgi.

:yuck:

Get a Staffy or an English Bull Terrier.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Whippet!
  • Options
    An alaskian husky :heart: I had a puppy with the ex. They are adorable and so beautiful.
  • Options
    I love setters, Irish or Gordon would have to be my favourite.
  • Options
    He's called Gordon? lol!!
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    We had one when I younger and usd to take her beating. Lovely dogs but it's quite common for the to suffer terrible arthritis when they're older. Long hair means they take quite a bit of maintenance too.

Yeah, that's the thing I remember most about childhood...my mum complaining about the dog hairs everywhere! They are very good-natured I've found (in my experience anyway) maybe even to a fault, although ours seemed to lack any sense at all which is uncommon - and got run over when she was 5. :( I didn't know that about GR and arthritis, that's really sad.

Little_one, Irish Setters are gorgeous dogs but the ones I've "known" have been the dopiest, friskiest dogs around. Whether or not that's a bad thing is up to the individual. ;)
  • Options
    No there is a bread of setter called Gordon, they are black and tan in colour. The Irish ones are often called Red setters as they are red in colour.
  • Options
    Yeah I know I was just kidding. :)
  • Options
    How about a Nintendog?
  • Options
    boxers are very prone to hip problems, we have two that live over the road and the older one can hardly walk, its really sad. Boxers can also be difficult to train.

With golden retrievers and labaradors, your going to have an 18 month maturity period but they respond very well for training. However, both are heavy shedders!

Springer spaniels make excellent pets but they need a HELL OF ALOT of exercise. They are mad, funniest dogs ever. Border collies are similar in temperament and amounts of exercise.

Cocker spaniels make good pets but are prone to obesity if owners have no self control and feed them treats all day.

As for staffordshire bull terriers, if you have been used to tiny little dogs its a difficult dog to deal with. they are extremely strong willed and if your not 100% confident with them they will take advantage and do what they want. Ive worked in kennels and rescue centres, the amound of staffies and staffie crosses is unbelieavable. And they all had behaviour problems because their owners we not consistant with training.
  • Options
    boxers are comedy dogs. my brother has one and he's big and stupid and smelly, but he is really sweet and gentle. it's true about the hip probs though. he's only 5, but already has a bad hip.

we've got a beagle, and they're nice if you like a dog who likes exercise but is placid at heart. they're pretty, friendly and a nice size, but they moult like nothing else, and have a tendency to get really fat if you're not strict with treats.
  • Options
    we have 2 airedales and a deerhound. airedales are my preferred choice though if you leave their hair to grow longer than it's meant to, they end up looking like wooly mammoths. deerhounds are alright, he has a cute face but they're bloody big.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Little_one, Irish Setters are gorgeous dogs but the ones I've "known" have been the dopiest, friskiest dogs around. Whether or not that's a bad thing is up to the individual. ;)

My dad's family had Irish Setters when he was younger. One of them was so dopey, he sat down to beg for a biscuit and kind of went backwards as he did so, and ended up sitting in the fire... he didn't notice until he got up again! Silly dog.

Staffys are cool, my friend's staffy is mental, really energetic.

What about a border collie? That's what I'd choose. Or a Dacshund because they are all wriggly!
  • Options
    Yes Irish setters are not always that clever, but my boyfriend's dad one is so gentle and kind towards everyone, but he is a bit mad, bless me. He is middle age now, but he still bounces around like a puppy. I want to rename him tigger. They can be a bit stuborn at time, but a quick custard cream normally sorts that out. He has a thing about dropping tennis ball down rabbit holes.
  • Options
    I know you said "not much bigger than a Lab" but can I suggest a greyhound? Please? We have one, and although she's huge heightwise, she can curl up quite small, and actually takes up less room than the mongrel (colliexspanielxsomethingelse) we have. She's very quiet a lot of the time, but she's quite old, so it's kinda expected. She does go a bit crazy sometimes though!

If not, a whippet like LadyJade said. They're fabby :D.