Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Photography

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone here into Photography?

Personally Im a keen amatuer photographer. Last year I took alot of Theme Park photographs and started experimenting taking people pictures?

Anyone else like to experiment with cameras or an actual photographer?

Comments

• Options
    my sister did photography A2 and really enjoyed it :yes:

oooh, and a good freind of mine has a really nice SLR (or is it SLI? I have no idea :p) digital camara, he's really into his photography.

infact, the architecture dept. of my uni can print out A0 size paper, so he's printed some of his photo's (not quite that big though) and they're on the walls of his house :)
  • Options
    I do like taking snaps on my phone and i'm quite good but nothing serious. Took a good one of a boat once :thumb:
  • Options
    I got myself my first camera phone and I now I think I'm a photographer. Does that count?
  • Options
    Lol not unless its an amazing 5megapixel camera with digital zoom no it doesnt.

replicant your sister was lucky to do photography A2 ive been looking everywhere!!!
  • Options

replicant your sister was lucky to do photography A2 ive been looking everywhere!!!

yeh it seemed like good fun, although she did go to brockenhurst (however it's spelt) sixth form collage, which is rather large... about as big as the whole high school she (and I) went to previously to that!
  • Options

Why is that a requirement? How do you draw the line where art becomes art?
    What about pin-hole photography? Is that not art because the camera can be created for a quid?

I've been able to take very snazzy, well thought photos via my low-quality mobile cam. You can get some very interesting photos from it. Just like you can get the shittiest pictures ever from your super duber amazingly expensive camera.

The tools don't make you a photographer, it's what you can use them to make that does.

ETA: Btw, you don't for the life of you want digital zoom. It's all about optical.
  • Options
    someone gave me a zenit M.E only yesterday ...in mint condition in a leather wotsit ...with original instruction book with a telephoto lens ...ussr stamped on the bottom.
    lovely thing ...probably use it as an ornament in the hallway.
  • Options
    Are you saying this isn't art? :(
  • Options
    I'm planning on doing a photography course at some point.
    I've got a Nikon Coolpix 4600 and I like to think I can take good photos with it but it's mostly just random.
    Cameras are fun...aslong as they're not pointed at me :P
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Are you saying this isn't art? :(

I reckon the original poster is just jealous! :yes:
  • Options
    I like taking photos, as long as I'm not in them. hehe. I've just got a basic digi cam and I haven't really used it much, but I think I will eventually. I love photographs although I suck at taking them myself. Wish they did photography at my sixth form :(
  • Options
    I did a photography course when I was in 6th form, it was a part-time evening one though. It was really interesting, we studied B&W Photography and then colour Photography with the use of colour filters. Obviously you had to have a half decent camera before starting the course though, as the teacher sent us away every week to take ten different pictures using the principles we'd learned...and then we developed them before or during the class. Very interesting, though I rarely use that camera anymore since I got the digital, tis quite sad...must start using it again.

I see a a fair bit of professional photography and think I could've produced the same result, if not better. :p
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    Why is that a requirement? How do you draw the line where art becomes art?
    What about pin-hole photography? Is that not art because the camera can be created for a quid?

I was joking! :eek:
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    Cameras are fun...aslong as they're not pointed at me :P

Same here!

briggi the course you did sounds similar to what im looking to do! Its been a nightmare trying to find somewhere that I can get to. Its looking like it might have to be a 2 hour journey to and from college everyday if I really want to do this.
  • Options
    I love taking pictures of random things.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    I love taking pictures of random things.

Yay :claps:
    Lets have a random picture thread. i can't get enough of pictures right now :(
  • Options
    briggi the course you did sounds similar to what im looking to do! Its been a nightmare trying to find somewhere that I can get to. Its looking like it might have to be a 2 hour journey to and from college everyday if I really want to do this.

Yeah, the one I went to wasn't exactly convenient either! They're a bit of a rarity, and I guess are only usually held where they get the numbers needed.

Have you looked at all the options, such as evening, day time, part time, or even one of those week/two week long intensive courses? The best thing to do would be a coursefinder website if there's one for your area (there's a North-East one which I've always found quite useful, but I'm not sure where you're located!). They usually list every option and it's more comprehensive than just looking through individual college etc webpages. Alternatively, now you've located a course at this place 2 hours away, maybe you could call or email them and ask if they're aware of any similar courses running closer to you. It's worth a try if you haven't done so already. :)
  • Options
    I was joking! :eek:

:eek:

It's still a legitimate question. Far too often people measure the worth of the tools rather than what the photographer can do. Any idiot can point an expensive camera at an object and take a photo. It takes a bit more to turn it into something worth seeing.

And I recommend taking lots of photos, and looking at other people's photographs to identify what you like/dislike about them. Be self critical and critical of the work of others. Knowing how to handle your equipment is just one part of it all. The rest is intuition and experience.

And most importantly, enjoy what you do. :)
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    Any idiot can point an expensive camera at an object and take a photo. It takes a bit more to turn it into something worth seeing.

Good point.

I've been taking pics for as long as I can remember my dad letting me grab hold of the Nikon. I like film SLR as it can really open your options for focus depth. I took some film pics of Biffy Clyro at a gig in Hull in 2004 and was using 1600 ASA. Turned out nice too. Pity people were laughing at my archaic Nikon EM :blush: !
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    :eek:

It's still a legitimate question. Far too often people measure the worth of the tools rather than what the photographer can do. Any idiot can point an expensive camera at an object and take a photo. It takes a bit more to turn it into something worth seeing.

And I recommend taking lots of photos, and looking at other people's photographs to identify what you like/dislike about them. Be self critical and critical of the work of others. Knowing how to handle your equipment is just one part of it all. The rest is intuition and experience.

And most importantly, enjoy what you do. :)

Very true. I have a nice camera, but that doesn't make me a good photographer. I think the key is in taking lots of photos, finding out what works and what doesn't and generally trying stuff out. Unfortunately winter is probably not the best time of year, unless you happen to like taking pictures of sunrises and sunsets in the freezing cold.
  • Options
    I did a bit of photography at university, loved it. I still take piccies, only with a semi-automatic digital though. I really want a digital SLR but can't afford that kind of thing.

Some photos

Berlin-052.jpg

Berlin-088.jpg

DSCN2390.jpg

DSCN2391.jpg

DSCN2236.jpg

DSCN2289.jpg

STATION.jpg
  • Options
    DSCN1833.jpg

DSCN1893.jpg

DSCN1912.jpg

DSCN1933.jpg

DSCN1993.jpg

DSCN2019.jpg
  • Options
    The chair is probably best
  • Options
    There's more where they came from...
  • Options
    Ooh, I've been to the Bauhaus Archiv, I miss Berlin. :(
    Blagsta wrote:
    Some photos

DSCN2289.jpg

That's my favourite, I liked the market stall (?) too, really vibrant.
  • Options
    i really liked the one with the view loooking down the stairs
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Ooh, I've been to the Bauhaus Archiv, I miss Berlin. :(

I was there last week. Berlin is :cool:
    briggi wrote:
    That's my favourite, I liked the market stall (?) too, really vibrant.

The tree is in the Alpajurras, Andalucia, Spain. The market stall is in Barcelona.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i really liked the one with the view loooking down the stairs

That's the Jewellry Quarter metro station in Birmingham.
  • Options
    I did photography on my art foundation course, was cool :D
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I was there last week.

:grump:

Here's my contribution to the (miniscule) German photo collection...only one I've got on my computer.

The other is the football field at the park the other evening...

I just want to fit in... :p
  • Options
    me and the other half dabble now and again. they're not always amazing, but we like them....

in order:

park guell, barcelona. my effort.

barcelona from 300 feet. his effort

reflections in roundhay park. my effort.

reeds in roundhay park. joint effort.

no face in my car. his effort.