Home Work & Volunteering
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Saturday/weekend job.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking for a saturday/weekend job. I cant seem to find any decent websites that have jobs on them. The jobcentreplus website is shite. I say 5 miles of my postcode and it brings up cornwall. :/ So yeah, what do you recommend I do? Just take a CV into most places in town or something? I have one job but its a only 26.5 hours a week and I get paid cash on a friday and its gone by monday coz its in my purse(no self control) so i need wages to go in my bank to cover my loan. Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah, no harm dropping your CV off at some places, and you never know what jobs you might see advertised while your in town.
    are you at uni? if you are you prob have a jobshop or something which should have loads!

ETA - oh, if you're already working that much maybe you're not at uni - sorry!

fish4jobs.co.uk is good sometimes..
    If it's just a weekend job then I definitely think it's best to do the CV drop thing, as a lot of places wouldn't bother advertising officially (i.e. on the internet, job centre etc) since so many people do just drop by on the off-chance. Go in everywhere you think you could stand working, and like Kat said you might even see some adverts in shop/restaurant windows and gawd knows where else.

Good luck :thumb:
    Bar work is great for weekend work, usually a good few jobs going as well. They sometimes need u to work week nights tho. Just a thought.
    Doofay wrote:
    Bar work is great for weekend work, usually a good few jobs going as well. They sometimes need u to work week nights tho. Just a thought.
    Nah I want a day job, wouldnt be able to handle that serving drunks. Lord no. Cheers though <333
    Nah I want a day job, wouldnt be able to handle that serving drunks. Lord no. Cheers though <333

it is actually quite amusing at times is watching drunk people :rolleyes:
    At times, though i found the general lack of disrespect intolerable. Like, i just felt like shouting at people i'm sweeping up this glass of the dancefloor for your benefit, so stop putting your arm round me and jumping up and down. But then, the music is too loud to hear anyway.

If i ever did bar work again, it definately wouldn't be in a nightclub. A quiet boozer full of old men maybe.

---

As other people have said, just go in your bog standard shops etc and ask for an application form, if they ask for a CV, take some with you then give them it. It look...erm...good.
    If i ever did bar work again, it definately wouldn't be in a nightclub. A quiet boozer full of old men maybe.

thats ok i guess if you aint an attractive lady :), old men are bad :eek2:
    actually a very good laugh working in a bar, work in a place where we have two indie nights a week and two nights where they play crap music thats proper cheesy but everyone luvs it for some reason :chin:

the drunks get annoying sometimes but you dont have to serve them, just remind them of the fact you cant serve them because they're drunk and it's illegal to serve drunk people :D mite get you sacked in some places though lol
    \
    I see by your profile you're nearly 18. Most places prefer to hire under 18's for weekend work because they can pay them less, so you're probably better off trying to get a job in somewhere where you have to be 18. An Off Licence is okay, but you'll probably end up with a lot of hassle off underage people trying to get served. Bar work in somewhere like a resteraunt, bowling alley or somewhere else you won't get a lot of hassle, is an option.
    Either that or pick something you have a bit of experience in, because a 16 year old with no experience is more attractive to an employer than an 18 year old with no experience. Any sort of leisure facility or tourist attraction will have most of it's business at the weekend, and so could be looking for extra staff. How about a hotel?
    I see by your profile you're nearly 18. Most places prefer to hire under 18's for weekend work because they can pay them less, so you're probably better off trying to get a job in somewhere where you have to be 18.

hehe, methinks your adding up skill are a tad rusty - born in 1986 makes her nearly 20 :p;)
    hehe, methinks your adding up skill are a tad rusty - born in 1986 makes her nearly 20 :p;)
    Haha. Cheers hun.

Well I took my CV into loads of places today. Mainly retail work bcause I dont want to serve food or work with people who are drinking.

Cheers for your advice people x

Stop pointing out my stupidity. :D It's clearly mentioned in my name.